How long will this torture (the sh__ks) continue?

Part of the allure of the game is how much truly is mental. Although it is frustrating beyond belief, it is also fascinating how, in literally a matter of 5 minutes, I can go from feeling like I have never struck the ball better, that feeling when the ball compresses so well, I feel my extension and follow through and it is all easy, and then almost instantly feeling like I would not be able to play if I were on a course.
Another place we've all been.....shoot 36 on the front then look like you've never played golf before on the back. I've often wondered why that is and my only conclusion is, at least for me, is I start getting both mentally and physically lazy like "I've got this" and all the bad habits kick-in. Or alternately, I start focusing too much on outcomes vs. the process of swinging.

This is really good stuff. I need to focus on the left hip “LEFTUP.” It is something that makes a lot of sense, because I don’t have great flexibility and have had back issues. I may be stuck and throwing my right side out at the ball.
If your left hip turns LEFTUP it actually swallows the shaft and pulls the club from an inside out travel down into the ball, hence compresses the ball. The faster you "fire" the left hip LEFTUP, the faster the clubhead moves. It's easy to practice. Just get a driver and start going back and forth continuously...back / forward...do not stop. Then as you reach the top of the BS, start the LEFTUP move just a little. Listen to the sound of the shaft. Keep going and keep "firing" the left hip faster. You will hear a much louder "whip" sound without trying. This is how the pros generate so much clubhead speed without looking like their trying.

I love this forum. Some of you have made a real effort to write something meaningful. Much appreciated.
Nothing worse than the shanks. It's like watching a person drowning and doing nothing!!!

I literally am becoming so frustrated, I am ready to hang up the clubs for the indefinite future (aside from weather, ha ha). I have been battling this for a year. It comes and goes, but comes more than it goes.

Today, I was swinging a 7 iron in my local retailer. I was just flushing it, swinging as well as I have in memory. I grabbed a 50 degree wedge. I swung it twice and hit such great feeling shots. Then, boom, the sh__nk. Once it started, I couldn’t stop. I pulled the 7 iron out and I was hitting sh__nks. I finally gave up and left.

It always starts with wedges. I have tried everything I can find on the internet. I have taken a couple of lessons. The truth is, if I could have used my wedges as scoring clubs this year, my index would likely be around a 3, but I am always swinging defensively with my wedges. Even when I am playing fine, the contact is towards the heel. I wish I knew where to turn to solve this problem.

I have battled them on a few occasions, including for a week or so earlier this year. Unfortunately there can be a number of causes, and thus a number of different solutions. For me, it was caused by pushing my hands/arms away from my body on the downswing. So to fix it, I lined up the ball a bit off the heel of the club and focused on keeping my hands/arms closer to the body on the downswing. It instantly cured it. Was from a Crossfield video I watched for some help. Maybe that swing thought can help. Good luck.

Watch to make sure your weight isn’t creeping into your toes during the downswing. Weight shifts forward even just a bit, you just brought the hosel into play.

Watch to make sure your weight isn’t creeping into your toes during the downswing. Weight shifts forward even just a bit, you just brought the hosel into play.

Yup, that can definitely be another of the causes.

Diagnosing them is like coming in with a cough as a symptom. Could be so many things!

Yup. Basically all lead to the same conclusion. You aren't delivering the club back to the same place it started. But trick is figuring out why. My brother in law had them so bad he literally couldn't hit a 10 yard chip shot. Was terrifying to see.

I literally am becoming so frustrated, I am ready to hang up the clubs for the indefinite future (aside from weather, ha ha). I have been battling this for a year. It comes and goes, but comes more than it goes.

Today, I was swinging a 7 iron in my local retailer. I was just flushing it, swinging as well as I have in memory. I grabbed a 50 degree wedge. I swung it twice and hit such great feeling shots. Then, boom, the sh__nk. Once it started, I couldn’t stop. I pulled the 7 iron out and I was hitting sh__nks. I finally gave up and left.

It always starts with wedges. I have tried everything I can find on the internet. I have taken a couple of lessons. The truth is, if I could have used my wedges as scoring clubs this year, my index would likely be around a 3, but I am always swinging defensively with my wedges. Even when I am playing fine, the contact is towards the heel. I wish I knew where to turn to solve this problem.
Just seeing this Craig. :oops: Welcome to my world. Not unlike you it came out of nowhere when some personal issues arose. Going on a year and a half now where some days I'm fine and other days it all goes to hell. I wish I had an answer for you. :(

I feel your pain, I had shanks on the par 3s yesterday that killed my round (thankful for Mulligan's tho).

Any time I use like a swing trainer or something it messes me up and takes a couple weeks to get my shot back. But I still need to push thru and use the trainer to get a better swing lol

Send me your Forged Tecs - I can get around the Steelfiber nonsense ?;)

You'll be fine, you're a stick, winter break will do you good.

Go with heavier wedge shafts and swing for the fences.

I find my come when I set up a little too close to the ball. I guess I extend/cast and boom that extra inch of so and away she goes!

Unfortunately this is a perfect example of how little we actually know about what happens between our ears. And I am speaking about all humans. We a better understanding about the mass and angular moments of subatomic particles than we do about the human brain.

All the above advice works, until it stops working. You tell you brain, your hands and the club, stop _Janking.

But your subconscious only hears the _Janking request.

When I do _Hank I don't take it personally. I remind myself that I already know how to hit the sweet spot. And I focus on the sweet spot. On each and every shot.

One less thing to worry about.

You know how to hit the sweet spot.

Just get out of your way.

Focus on your Target and the ball flight that you desire to execute. And let your body fill in the rest.

Each and every swing focusing on not _Janking only reinforces the Outcome that you detest.

See the ball. Be the ball. Listen to Chevy Chase.

And stop worrying about your swing.

It's already the best swing you've ever produced.

It has 10's of Thousands of Repetitions.

You already know what to do.

So just let your inner sanctum rule the world and swing freely.

You golf for fun. If something funny happens. Have a good laugh and let it go.

Hopefully these words are of assistance.

If not. Simply ignore them.

I don't remember _Janks. _Hanks. Or any other __Anks.

I just remember the chip in for an Eagle or a Birdie. As I march up to the next hole. Tee it up and focus on my next shot.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

My Pro told me any time I am hitting shanks to setup further back from the ball, and keep going further back until they go away.

Has worked for me repeatedly.

If one sets-up at address, tilts from the hips, with some knee bend, with arms hanging down, and then grips the handle of the club, the clubhead rests in a particular spot. By standing with the feet together to promote body rotation, and just letting the club swing, and without changing the spine angle or swaying, the club will travel over the original spot. If the club travels above that spot, then there's a movement that's pushing the clubhead away from the body. The goal is to get the club handle exiting low and left, and the only way to accomplish this is by pulling, not pushing the club down to the ball.

The key is to experiment with back and forth continuous movements with feet together, then in a normal stance. While going back and forth continuously, initiate the DS with different parts of the body. Once you get going back & forth, start the DS by moving the right shoulder a little out towards the ball, watch the line of travel, then back to the top. Then initiate the DS with the right hip kinda pushing towards the guy in the hitting bay in front of you, then back up to the top. Then defocus on the right side and initiate the DS by "pulling" the club down with the left hip rotating left and up. Each will reveal a different clubhead path. I assure anyone that if the left hip rotates left and up, with zero right side involvement, the clubhead path will be at least an inch or two closer to one's feet vs where they started. The Orange Whip is a great training aid for the above because it's easy to see the orange ball's line of travel.

While I understand the logic that moving away from the ball will curtail shanks, that's a quick, short-term fix that doesn't address the underlying problem. Plus, it serves to introduce new variables such as reaching for the ball, excessive spine angle that becomes harder to maintain, a flatter swing plane, and more disconnection between the arms and torso. Believe it or not, one pro told me to line up the hosel to the ball to stop shanks because the body will naturally adjust to get the club more inside on the DS. It did work but lining up like that took all the fun out of golf.

Were you able to get back to your normal game?

Hopefully the Sflu has completed its course and left the building.

Were you able to get back to your normal game?

Hopefully the Sflu has completed its course and left the building.

We had a batch of winter, so I haven’t been able to play or swing a club much. I need some real practice sessions to work through it. I did get in a round over the weekend. I shot 38 on the front, but had two sh__ks. Both cost me a bogey. Finished the front with two birdies. Parred the first two holes on the back and was feeling good. But then, on hole 13, I sh__ked a wedge. I sh__ked a 6 iron on 14, a 5 iron on 16, a 9 iron on 17. I went from 2 over after 11 holes, to shooting 11 over for the round, 9 over par on the last 8 holes. Miserable. So, I guess the answer currently is “no.” :sick: I will get it figured out. :)

for me who has been fighting an over the top swing forever. So when I'm set up for an in to out swing path, but my brain still make me come over the top (out to in swingpath), I'll hosel shank the ball. As long as I correct my swing path I'm ok. At least now I know what's occuring when it happens.

I like perpetuating the mystery of the shanks as much as anyone, but really it's just a mishit caused by swing flaws. Not different than a thin/fat/toe shot, except it probably has a worse outcome... I have a tendency to take the club back and return it from outside the target line, so placing something (row of tees, shoe box, etc.) outside of the ball when I practice helps me get my club path straightened out.

I just had a really good range session with a 7 iron and a pw. At the beginning, I was shanking like crazy, but by the end, I was repeatedly puring both clubs. It felt so awesome. I used several thoughts provided in this thread. I am hopeful that I am on the right track to recovery. Thanks for the help everyone.

Worst. Feeling. Ever! Man sorry to hear that. Just know EVERY golfer has gone trough this and it is just amazing how fast a swing can go from feeling pure to feeling demon possessed.

I just had a really good range session with a 7 iron and a pw. At the beginning, I was shanking like crazy, but by the end, I was repeatedly puring both clubs. It felt so awesome. I used several thoughts provided in this thread. I am hopeful that I am on the right track to recovery. Thanks for the help everyone.

Keep up the positive thoughts. It is a grind getting through some of these things at times but they will end up in the rear view.

The golf swing is different to a baseball swing. In baseball we swing our hands at the ball. In golf we need to swing our hands at our feet and allow the clubhead to swing from behind our hands out to the ball. The other important factor in golf is squaring the clubface before impact. If we don't square the clubface then the hostel is presented to the ball. The golf swing needs to be balanced with opening and closing movements in both body and arm movements.

Played a full 18 today without one sh__k. I hit a few heel shots, but nothing that wasn’t manageable. Shot a 75. I think I finally know what I was doing and I am pretty excited to know what to focus on going forward.

Back