How low could you shoot playing from the opposite side?

KEV

Proud 2018 The Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
If you were given one month to practice playing from the opposite side that you normally play from what do you think you would shoot in an 18 hole round at your home course? Do you think you could break 100?

I've messed around with left handed clubs before and can hit the ball decent. I think with a month to practice I could probably shoot below 100 but it might be pretty close.

I have played 9 holes left handed and shot a 53. Not sure how I would do on a full 18 but I'd like to try again sometime. With some practice I do think I could on one of the local courses with less OB in play.

Couple vids of the lefty swing

200 maybe? :)

I suck at doing things left handed.

Even though I am left handed, writing is the only thing I do left handed so it would not be pretty. Would not break 100 I don't think.

I would never break 100 from the left side. I've tried to learn to swing left handed but have never been able to do it. When faced with a shot that I can't address from the right side, I always hit it backwards (I would have a better chance of cracking 100 backwards in fact).

How “low”...I think you mean, how “high”.

And I’m a lefty that plays righty.

I've actually JUST learned how to swing 'properly' (slapped at it with the rear hand for 40+ years), using this knowledge I've taught one of my sons better fundamentals and in 2 weeks he's gone from 'super high 36+ hcp' to a decent ball striker (short game next).\

Using the same techniques I am teaching myself to swing righty (lifelong lefty). A month? Yeah, I could break 100. I might be 7i 7i 7i most of the way around, but I could. I can already putt decently right, have done it full time briefly in the past.

@SlightDraw wow that is a GREAT looking swing, connected, weight transferred, and everything! I couldn't do it righty right now, but I could by the weekend just swinging in the garage ingraining feel/muscle memory.

Is there a cap on hole score?

I guess I might become ok, but really doubt I could hit well at all

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Being left eye dominant and ambidextrous this is something I plan on trying in the future. It should be a hoot for all my buddies!

How low? Very. I doubt I'd be able to get the ball off the ground consistently.

Oh, you mean score? Maybe 200.

I tried hitting lefty during the THP Championship last year at Top Golf. I swung and missed some. Others were decent. I’d def have to play a pretty open course if I did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Probably could, I don't think twice about flipping a club and hitting one lefty when its close to a tree....sounds like i need to give it a whirl. I play Softball and switch hit all the time

Last edited:
I doubt I could break a 100 for 9.

I think I've only ever tried to hit a left handed shot once. So, based on that, I probably not would note fare well. A month of practice? I can probably break 100, but not by much

I don't really have any strength in my right arm to speak of due to an injury so it would be ugly to say the least

With a month to practice? I think, maybe like, low 80s? I used to play a lefty round every now and then when I was young, and did it for the first time as an actual adult once early this summer. Shot a 94 from the whites, and I know I could get into the 80s when I was a kid. I was a switch hitter before I became strictly a pitcher though, and hitting a baseball, shooting hoops, playing hockey, etc. left-handed usually came pretty easily to me.

I encourage everyone to play a round with friends from the opposite side sometime. It's seriously a ton of fun.

I would set, and take, the over at 300

With a month to practice beforehand, I believe I could just keep it under 100. My advantage is, even though I have never hit a LH golf club, absolutely everything I do in life besides play golf is left-handed.

If you were given one month to practice playing from the opposite side that you normally play from what do you think you would shoot in an 18 hole round at your home course? Do you think you could break 100?

I've messed around with left handed clubs before and can hit the ball decent. I think with a month to practice I could probably shoot below 100 but it might be pretty close.
I believe it would be close for me. Playing baseball I was a switch hitter so I'm sure i could pick it up but I bet it would be rough at the start and I'd have to practice every day to be able to break 100.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I would need a crew of guys carrying extra golf balls around with me even with a month of practice. I would guess less than 200 but maybe that would change after seeing how I swing lefty for a month.

With a months worth of practice? Even then probably not breaking 100. Seems like it would be a fun experiment during the winter though.

120, I'd conservatively guess (from the white tees). Could be better with the month of practice though.

Did some switch hitting in baseball. While I have no allusions that I'd be good, once I tap into the motion some, I'm confident that I'd have a somewhat serviceable move.

Other than the odd shot when rightie isn't possible I haven't really tried to do much left handed in many years. Even though I've never tried to play golf left handed I still think I could do pretty good, sub 100 maybe, with a month to practice. Switching sides in other sports always came very easy for me. Hockey, baseball, basketball etc...

Back