How many balls do you hit during a range session?

Small Bucket per session. 40-50 balls tops.

2 times weekly. March through October.

That sounds like a great idea. I think I could easily do something like that with the homefront rather than a marathon session every week or two.

depends on the session
a small bucket is about 30 balls which is great about an hour before the round so i can see what my miss is gonna be for the day
a large bucket is about 120 and that can last me hours of practice
i used to burn thru balls during a range session just to see how far i could hit them but talking to many pros ive slowed everything down on the range
practice like i was playing... its not unusual for me to be on the range for 3 hours and still have a bunch of balls
plus the faster i go thru range balls the sweatier i get lol

Today hit 220 (jumbo bucket at a different range from my usual)... Hated it.
Not the quantity, but the range was "mats only". Ouch!
Won't be going there again.

I think the large bucket at my range is 110, so thats where I'm at, unless I'm tired/sore or its brutally hot, then I'll grab a medium bucket with 70 in it I beleive.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Depends on what I'm working on. 35-100. During the winter when I don't mix putting green into my rotation (because I'm hitting off matts from a 2nd story deck into several feet of snow) I usually go with a buddy once a week and get the 2 jumbo buckets(150 balls each), 2 brats and 2 beers deal and split it.

For a full swing range session, I'm probably in the 75-100 total, though I still work my way through the set to warm up.

I usually get a 100 ball bucket. I use up about 20-25 balls doing warmups & drills of some sort, another 40 full swings with PW-3H (5 hits with each), another 10 full shots with the 9I & PW (5 each), and then the rest is partial swings with PW and gap wedge.

If I want to work on Driver & 3W, I will get a small bucket (40 balls), work on warmups & drills for 20 balls, then hit 10 full shots with each club.

For short game stuff (inside 50 yards) I go to the city-owned pitch & putt near where I live and hit 5 shots from various locations around their chipping practice green (10 or 12, 5 shots from each) for a total of 50-60 shots. Then I will usually go over to the putting green and do the same (5 balls from each of 10-12 locations).

I wish I could get a small bucket but I enjoy my time at the range. Pop in the head phones and stay for a couple hours.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Main limitation is how much time I have to practice. 2 tokens' worth (about 60 balls?) is the usual for me, followed by putting and sometimes chip/flop or sand practice. I try to hit one token's worth before a round to warm up.

Side note: I'm noticing how much variance there is per token too. I played on a course a few weeks ago where one token was more than 50 balls but at my main course it's about 25-30. I should really count sometime so I know. :)

I don't pay much attention to the count because I have a limited membership at my main course which lets me get as many tokens as I want so all I do is go ask in the pro shop and they hand them over.

Ken

At the range

At the range

The other day at the driving range I bought 100 balls and did my usual warmup (3 with the PW, 3 with the 60*, and 3 with the 7 iron). I then proceeded to hit every club in the bag in a random order and was just KILLING it! Every single shot was perfect! Dead on line, exact distance I was looking for. I could work a fade or a draw at will with any club, it felt so surreal. I was so happy and didn't want to forget that feeling so after about 3-4 balls with each club I just picked up, and left. I gave my remaining 25 or so balls to some kids next to me and hit the road. I've NEVER left any balls in the basket at the range before and it definitely felt weird.

I am going to play a round this afternoon and I guess I'll see if it was just an out of body experience, or if I've finally corrected some swing flaws. Anyone else have a similar experience before? Do you guys just leave the range when things are going well, or do the opposite and buy 100 more balls and keep swinging?

Always leave on a high note! If I'm hitting balls before a round I may only hit one or two if they look good to me. No need to mess with a good thing and it's nice to have that in your memory.

If I'm in a groove I'll just start making up shots or working on half shots. I try not to walk away from a range session and like Hawk said, I end a high note so that good juju carries over to my next full swing I might make. I hope it carries over for you. Let us know how it goes.

Always leave on a high note! If I'm hitting balls before a round I may only hit one or two if they look good to me. No need to mess with a good thing and it's nice to have that in your memory.

I always leave on a high note also. I would say over half my range sessions end with extra range balls. Usually it's only 5 or so balls but if I have left over range balls I'll look for a kid to give them to. If I can't find a kid, I'll usually just give the extras to the person next to me.

I don't get to the range as often as I'd like, so I rarely fail to finish my bucket. But if I'm hitting it well, I'll go through the clubs I want to hit, make sure I've accomplished what I want to, and then finish up the bucket working on short wedge shots, playing closest to the pin on the range.

Usually 20-30 balls will loosen me up

Before a round I try to hit a small bucket with mostly my driver, hybrid and 6-8 irons. Just to get loose.

On a range session I get a medium bucket(roughly 70 balls). I usually will chip the bucket then pick em up and hit em into the range. I read a book about practicing like you play so I take my time and set up for each shot. Once warm I mentally play the tough holes on the course, as in I'll go driver, 7i, wedge that type thing. I subscribe to the "quality not quantity" mantra.

Full range session about a large, 100 balls, before I play a small, 30 balls.

On the range I'm probably around 50-100 balls, but my home course has a nice 75-ish yd chipping range where I will prob hit another 50-100 depending on how I'm feeling or how much time I have

Before a round about 50 balls. Mostly wedge shots from within 110 yards. Hit the last 10 balls with 3 wood and driver them I'm ready to tee off.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I usually only do 36. That gives me enough to work on my swing but isnt so much that I start to get bored. I find that if I go with 72 about 3/4 of the way through I start to get bored and am just blasting away. I actually wish that ranges would let you do something like 50 because, IMO that would be perfect.
I usually hit 10 with the SW, 10 with the 7-iron, 6 with the hybrid and 10 with the driver.

Before a round...maybe 15 or 20 balls, just to loosen up and feel the swing.
On a practice session...around 100. I find that if I get 2 large buckets, I tend to machine gun them and that does no one any good.
I make sure I go through my pre-shot routine on every shot.

Wow you guys hit too many balls. I was told when you are hitting that many you've gone beyond what's effective.

Sometimes I hit a lot of balls just because I enjoy it. The weather is nice, I can't get to the course, so all I can do is hit balls. As long as I'm swinging the club decently, I'd rather sit there and hit balls than go home and wish I was still hitting balls.

if the range session is during a THP Tour Van Event, plan on hitting 200 balls at a rapid fire pace. Impossible not to with all the gear and excitement sitting around.

I typically hit 100 balls per range session (usually 3-4 days/wk). 200 if I'm working on something specific that's giving me trouble. Before a round I don't hit any balls and just putt for 20-30 minutes.

Back