how many golfers are "sneaking" onto open (no fences) courses while they are closed?

chile

Working with Mercury
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
we have a course that's open on the back 9...no fences, etc...and out of sight of the clubhouse. I imagine there are other courses like that and I wonder how many are sneaking in a few holes (maybe rounds even) here and there...what say you, THP?

now I know why people built/build their own little backyard courses...they knew

This was going on before corona.

Isn't that stealing?

I swear if they close them here I am going to grab my pushcart and go anyway. My home course will not give a hoot and most likely the one right down the street will not care either.

A lot. Like a lot, a lot.

I have resisted temptation thus far.

Around here, sneaking onto a closed GC is against the law.

My wife's cousin lives next to a closed golf fairway. Her husband was hitting balls on it. Metro Police drove up to him, and made him stop. They told him the only reason he didn't get a ticket, or haulded of to jail was because he lived there.

How many states have closed courses???

All of the courses are closed around me.

And I wouldn't sneak onto a private course

Last edited:
Our courses are still open for now, so I'm playing all I can (with appropriate social distancing and safety precautions). If the courses shut down I wouldn't sneak on to play no matter how badly I wanted to - it's just not how I roll.

Although most courses are open we saw some people apparently sneaking on today while we biked by. Course was. Ot busy by any means so not sure what they we doing.

It happens, bunch, without this current foolishness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fortunate to have courses open in Ohio!

I’m jonesing to play but not going to jail over it. It’s been a few years since I last played. I can wait.

I’m jonesing to play but not going to jail over it. It’s been a few years since I last played. I can wait.

same here...gonna find an open field and use the bucket of "lost and found" balls I have to hit a few to see how I like the riptide shaft

The thought has crossed my mind but It isn't worth the Juice!

Me and a couple buddies did it a few weeks ago on the public course we are members of and never got bothered. There were about a handful of other people there.
Yesterday my one buddy went and tried to play but the course had one of the pro shop guys in the parking lot to make sure no one played.
The course doesn't want to get fined by not enforcing the closure. There must have been complaints golfers were out.

In Mass the state has threatened to suspend maintenance activities if golfers are found on the courses.

I have gone to the local range with a bag of shag balls and hot and picked up my own balls. I haven’t seen anyone there but me and my son. Not sure if that is wrong but I will continue to do it.

I wouldn't sneak onto to play for free. That's just not me.
I have played a 9 hole course in a small town in Minnesota where it's all on the honor system.
There is a price list on the club house door and a box to put your money into.
All the keys are in the power carts if you need one.
There a phone number on the door to call if you have a question.
I've only been there once when someone came by to empty out the box.
We asked if they thought people sneaked on. We were told that the majority of
golfers are honest and they've never had a problem.

Back