How Many of us can Break 90 using only Irons, Wedges and a Putter

I could break 90 doing only irons if the course distance didn’t include any big forced carries off the tee.

At least I’m pretty confident haha. Two falls ago @OITW, @dwchockey13, me and I’m having trouble remembering our 4th for this one (sorry man. I think it was @tpluff ?) did a woods only and putter round and I shot 86 at the conservatory. So should be able to do it with irons and wedges.

Was @Nerdy_81

I think we all broke 90 right?

Was @Nerdy_81

Yep! I remember getting GIR on hole one from 130 yards with a hybrid lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it depends on the length of the course but I absolutely think I could of it was a reasonable length. Give be a driving iron and I'll be good to go.

The way I am hitting irons right now, no chance. When I find the groove again, I could do it.

I do this alot with my better students in order to teach them course management. It gives them the sense of course management and playing within themselves. Longest club in the bag is 5 iron and it never ceases to amaze me when they come to realize what playing golf really means and they're surprised at what scores they shoot when doing this.

Was @Nerdy_81

I believe so. I know you and I did. We all had some pretty miraculous shots on the par threes with hybrids/3woods too.

Yep! I remember getting GIR on hole one from 130 yards with a hybrid lol

Haha that island-ish par three was a funny one. Although I do think we allowed a wedge if we wanted?

haha what a fun weekend.

Haha that island-ish par three was a funny one. Although I do think we allowed a wedge if we wanted?

haha what a fun weekend.

Gotta do another one... we did... I didn’t use it.........

I should have

depends on the course

I could. Sucks not bagging a 3 or 4i though, but I could probably figure it out with a 5i off the tee.

Probably, as long as the course isn't much above 6000 yds, preferably under 6000.

At 6500yds or less it probably wouldn't change my score much. So yes. 7k though and I'd be reaching too much and make too many mental errors.

Give me a week to practice with a driving iron and I could probably break 90 on our course.

I have broke 90 on a few occassions playing in 3 club tournament, using irons, and a putter. Iirc, the lowest was an 87.

Last year I played in a 3 Club shindig using my 5w, 8i, and a sw. Shot an 82. I putted with my (choked down) 5w.

I could with a course in the 6000-6200yard range. If my driver isn’t working I go to a Srixon Utility anyway off the tee, leaves me a longer carry into some greens but it lets me manage my game more.

I think I could break 90 just using irons. Especially if I had a new forged tec utility iron!

Ok. Obviously almost everyone here agrees that we could probably break 90. Some even 80. With a Distance disadvantage of not hitting your longer clubs, Driver, Fairway Woods and Hybrids.

So the only question left is why is it that so many recreational Golfers fail every day to break 80, 90, or even 100?

Is it possible that we take too many risks off the easiest shot on the Tee box, with the ball on a perfect lie. Do we simply fail to approach golf with the correct mental commitment required to score with only irons, when we use the longer clubs?:drinks:

Since my typical driver shot only goes 20 yds more than a well stuck 5i it’s not much of a disadvantage to park the driver.

Ok. Obviously almost everyone here agrees that we could probably break 90. Some even 80. With a Distance disadvantage of not hitting your longer clubs, Driver, Fairway Woods and Hybrids.

So the only question left is why is it that so many recreational Golfers fail every day to break 80, 90, or even 100?

Is it possible that we take too many risks off the easiest shot on the Tee box, with the ball on a perfect lie. Do we simply fail to approach golf with the correct mental commitment required to score with only irons, when we use the longer clubs?:drinks:

I know for me most of my bad holes result from trying to kill a driver off the tee or a fairway wood on a Par5 that I think will get me to a green on a Par 5. If I stay within myself as most of us need to do, I wil score well. My short game is my biggest asset and I can scramble if needed on the occasional bad hole. My putting had been suspect also at the end of this past season but i have been working on that this winter.

OK, how about an "irons only, one-round" THP contest this week. Who else is in? Course must be 6,000 yards or longer.

I'll give it a go on Tuesday and post my results. 6210 yards off the whites for me. Gaming Hogan Ft. Worth Black irons, 4 - PW. Chris Carnahan 50 and 56 degree wedges. And my Nickent Pipe putter. 10 clubs. Leaving the driver and my three Nickent hybrids in the car (though I think hybrids ought to be allowed - they're definitely more like irons than woods).

I can’t break 90 with all my clubs, but I’d imagine sticking with just irons and putter wouldn’t negatively impact my score. I wouldn’t be surprised if it improved it a bit. Maybe I’ll give it a try.

Back