How Many of us can Break 90 using only Irons, Wedges and a Putter

Ok. Obviously almost everyone here agrees that we could probably break 90. Some even 80. With a Distance disadvantage of not hitting your longer clubs, Driver, Fairway Woods and Hybrids.

So the only question left is why is it that so many recreational Golfers fail every day to break 80, 90, or even 100?

Is it possible that we take too many risks off the easiest shot on the Tee box, with the ball on a perfect lie. Do we simply fail to approach golf with the correct mental commitment required to score with only irons, when we use the longer clubs?:drinks:

I think that a good part of it is not thinking about proper course management. I'm guilty myself of being on a par 5 and second shot always hitting 3w with no regard to where I'll specifically end up. Just hit it as far as I can. If I hit 4i I'll be 100 out instead of 60 where I need a partial shot.

I can’t break 90 with all my clubs, but I’d imagine sticking with just irons and putter wouldn’t negatively impact my score. I wouldn’t be surprised if it improved it a bit. Maybe I’ll give it a try.

Yes I think you could easily improve in that situation. Years ago I played in a 4 club tournament and shot 83 which was at the time the lowest I'd shot in awhile.

@Johan185 will need to do this next time we play Rustic Canyon, but gotta be from the white or Hanse tees for me to have a shot

Yep. Here's my last round using only 4-SW and a putter playing from the yellows. Short irons which are usually my strength were all over the place but chipping and putting saved me.

Screenshot_20200202-081002.png

I struggle to break 90 with my normal set up. Then again I usually keep it in play so it’s possible I play better. Still I don’t think it would happen.

I've not tried this but i might play better to be honest. If I was allowed to put the 3h in the bag vs my 4i I'm almost certain day in an out I'd be better but would cap my potential to get better. Many holes I give up 1/2 stroke just with my terrible tee shot because my natural swing is to hit down.

On the other hand, when I hit a driver as best I can, I don't normally do great things with a 70 yard partial shot. Seems I play best when I have a full 9, 8 or 7i shot to the green

@Johan185 will need to do this next time we play Rustic Canyon, but gotta be from the white or Hanse tees for me to have a shot
Next time you are here let's do it.

Rustic is very lush right now from all the rain we have had this winter :drinks:

I can barely break 90 using all 14 clubs so not much of a chance of me doing with less than that. It would be fun to try though.

OK. Just like the Iowa caucus system, I have partial results at best. I played today, but had to switch to the club's other course, which is longer and more difficult than the one I planned to play with irons only. From the "green" (composite) tees the course measures 6,514 yards. Therefore I didn't use only the irons. I was still in the game for shooting 90 after a front nine 45 (on the par 37 side). Unfortunately, on the back nine (par 35) I lost the plot and rang up a glorious 51.
I'll play with just the irons tomorrow on the shorter, less challenging course (6,210 yards), which is also a par 72 track. Has anyone else decided to take on this informal contest, or am I doing this solely for my own amusement?

I think I could do it on my home course. I might give it a go this summer!!

If by irons I'd be allowed hybrids then yup, I reckon I could. Most of my lost shots are down to wayward tee shots, so hopefully I would cut the majority of them down.

But given that hybrids are excluded then I might be struggling. Would need to find at least one long iron I could hit consistently 200+ and I think I might just be able to make it..

I normally shoot around 90, so it would be tough, but I am pretty sure I could get around and not go over 100.

Shooting 90 playing only irons? Not quite today. Shot 91 (19 over), after going 8 over on the first three holes. Oh well.

Talk about a great training routine to think outside the box. I might save some lunch out shots, but not sure I have distance to be messing around with all irons down long par 4s and 5s

Does it count if you missed every fairway with your driver?

I shot an 85 with just my 5-iron at Atascocita CC in Humble, TX last year. I try to play at least one round a year with 1-3 clubs; I feel it enhances my shot-making ability. My buddy shot an impressive 78 at Arrowhead CC in Glendale, AZ many years ago (taking $100 from my loud-mouthed younger brother - lol). He made some unbelievable short game shots with it that day!

No problem! I'm fairly confident I can break 90 just carrying my 5-9i, PW, 54 and putter.

Back