How Many of us can Break 90 using only Irons, Wedges and a Putter

Johan185

SoCal, KiteSurfer, Golf Enthusiasts
Reaction score
Handicap
14 Club limit. Using any type of Clubs that arguably can fit into the Iron, Wedges and Putter Categories. Driving Irons, Chippers and Other Specialty Clubs allowed. Hollow Bodied Blades. Cavity Backs with Thick Soles and Rails. Allowed.

Drivers, Fairway Woods, Hybrids excluded. Period. No Exceptions.

And what do you think you would learn about your game from this unique Experience?

give me a 17* utility, being that is somehow allowed, and some distance irons, and I'd be fine.

No! My iron play leaves something to be desired.

You are talking a 9 hole course correct? ?

At something around 6000 yards, probably yes.

6000 yards, maybe.

At one of my regular courses, playing 6-6500 or so shouldn't be a problem. Just have to play for bogey and make a few pars when you can.

I personally is going to go with these Clubs:

TaylorMade UDI 17° 2 Iron

Callaway XR Pro's 2015 4 - AW , 21.5°, 24°, 27°, 31°, 35.5°, 40°, 45°,50° degrees Cavity Backs Irons "Jacked Lofts"

Mizuno T20's 50°, 54°, 58°, 62° degrees Wedges

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback Putter 34", 3° degrees

Clearly within the 14 Club Limit :drinks:

I would have to add a 4&5 iron back to the bag. Could maybe break 90 on a short course, under 6k

There are many days where my score would have been much better had I never pulled a wood out of the bag. When I was playing my best golf, I frequently hit 3 iron off the tee and actually used a 1 iron from time to time. Was a 6 handicap, albeit playing a lot of short, tight courses.

If 8 can place my driver and 5wood with a couple of driving/utility irons, I would say yes.

If I had a 3 or utility/driving iron, I don't think it would effect my game much at all. Couple strokes maybe.

That's probably an unfortunate truth.

I might have a better shot at actually breaking 90 in the test. I haven't done it with the full complement of clubs.....

From the white tees at my home course I would probably do better honestly. I would learn a lot that's for sure. I might give this a go.

Would definitely need to add back a 4 and 5 iron and limit to about 5800 yds

You're kidding right? I can't break 100 with every club in my bag, winter rules, a foot wedge, hand lobbing out of bunkers, and several mulligans.:LOL:

I’ll take a 6 iron, 54 degree, and a putter and would be just fine (oh good for me). I know I would be playing in the short grass a heck of a lot more than now, but what fun is that? Gimme the driver and let’s see the whole course!

I've only broken 90 a couple of times as it is what with my short time playing but, I think my scores would stay in the low 90s dropping my driver and 5 wood. I would just put my 1 iron back in the bag.:cool:

I do it all the time playing around 6,000 yards with my son - break 90, not par like video.

I’m not sure I could do it at 6,500+ though without my 3 wood.

I typically use driver 7 times around my home course, maybe a twice more if the wind is doing something that necessitates or encourages more club. Sometimes a driver might cost more than any distance I might lose opting for my 2 iron, so I imagine I could get around my track without woods and not score much differently than I normally would. 3wood rarely comes out of the bag as it is.

No chance, not with the way I'm hitting the irons I have right now.

Back