How many of you enjoy your job?

My goal is to find a remote role that I can work from anywhere (we want to move back to Mexico or Spain). If I can enjoy it, all the better. Can't say I have that now as I'm in sales, commission only, in a Houston that is really tough right now...

This Labor Day will be ten years working in my local government office. I had my eye on the job before it ever opened. Always knew it would be a good fit for me and it is. The professionals I deal with make all the difference. When they do their jobs well, everything is great. When they don't, things can be difficult.

I took the job during the recession as my former company was hit pretty hard and we were barely surviving. Hours & benefits were cut so a job change was likely inevitable. When my position opened up I let them know I wanted it and would be a good fit. The real benefit wasn't in the pay, benefits or hours but in proximity to home (less than 2 miles, 6 minutes) and being able to coach my sons' little league teams with the extra time I didn't have to spend commuting.

I loved my career in outside sales but I always loved things like boating, skiing, paddling, golf, cycling, traveling, etc. a lot more. I was lucky enough to retire two years ago a few weeks after my 53rd birthday and I'm now doing all the stuff I really love. I'm currently playing golf 3-4 days a week and spending even more time with family and friends boating and doing other water sports so retirement is everything I dreamed of. Pictures from Father's Day weekend, my best one ever with my family and another family of five spending 4 days together!

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 10.11.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 10.08.42 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-23 at 10.06.43 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-23 at 10.04.14 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-23 at 10.03.42 AM.png

I like my job in IT. Unless it was something in the medical field or Golf industry, I wouldn't want to do anything else.

I love my job. I've loved every aspect of the industry in which I've worked, but its not without its highs and lows. Especially right now where things are pushed back constantly, and budgets are increasing due to safety concerns.

In this case, I'm lucky to have been paid an advance for one project, but it's not always that way. Another project I have I won't see a dime until it goes forward - despite 1.5 years of already completed work on my end. There have been times where I haven't worked in a year, only to be flooded the next. During those lulls in work, I have often questioned if I'm doing the right thing, as I hate boredom. Hopefully those days are gone.

@Newman21 I took a big leap in a new direction a few years ago. So far it's been ok, and looks rather promising. I'm quite happy that I did, as I was getting really burned out before.

I don't know if I would ever want a total change in career, but I have always had a desire to be a history teacher.... kinda like @Jman

I love my job. I get to work with a lot of really smart people who work on complex problems with global implications. I also get to shoot guns and travel a decent amount. I'm not sure what I'm going to do for my second career. I've pondered continuing to work with young adults since young adult counseling is also a giant chunk of my job, but I haven't decided. There's plenty of continued work in the Cyber operations community in the region, and Amazon is building a big facility in the area. Hopefully I like my second career as much as I've enjoyed my first.

Nope but im glad i have one!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

About to start my first 9-5 Monday through Friday job right after the 4th. It'll be in a big downtown office building where I'll be wearing dress clothes and commuting like a big boy. Although I'm told it may be 9most to a year before we're back in the office so I'll start out at home. Working an 8 hour 5 day week every week will be a big change for me. As well as the corporate setting.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Love my job...very flexible and the people I work with are amazing. Also working in Napa has it's wine perks lol

I retired from phone company as a cable splicer, which I enjoyed. I picked up part time as school bus driver 10 years ago and really enjoy it. 99.99% of the kids are great. Off every summer, this year I’ve been off since March and not sure what’s going to happen next fall.

i am currently working for a major phone company. I have been a splicers helper, maintenance splicer, fiber splicer, fiber trouble shooter and now I am in the Central Offices. Been here 30 years and looking at the sunset soon. Currently have a contract till 2023 and that will probably be the end for me just before this contract expires. I wouldn’t necessarily change anything I have Been fortunate to make a LOT of money, sometimes referred to as blood money, but with the 30 years if they piss me off now I can walk at anytime. And fortunately for me I am young and can go do contract work in the industry and make just as much money and not have any ties to any company in particular.

I’m a Probation Officer and boy is it a grind. I’ve worked in law enforcement or law enforcement adjacent (court investigator) for the past 7 years. I love my coworkers and the job security but my creative side is is suffering. The stress from trying to manage a caseload of 80 clients (plus victims), all with their own unique issues, can be taxing. I’m not sure what other careers I could pursue but I’d love to write about the things that interest me: golf, watches, sports, cars. Any suggestions?

I did until the last year or so, the stress is getting to me and it won't be too long before I move on to something else. Luckily I chose to make a bit less for more flexibility (and titles) this go around so I should hopefully see a bump in pay when I do move on. It'll be a sad day when I say goodbye to the family business but hopefully the people I sell it to will take good care of it. I'm thinking outside sales for my next gig, I've always enjoyed that part of what I do and I think being able to focus on it would be really good.

My goal is to find a remote role that I can work from anywhere (we want to move back to Mexico or Spain). If I can enjoy it, all the better. Can't say I have that now as I'm in sales, commission only, in a Houston that is really tough right now...

Oil and Gas? I'm a sales guy too, and sell some stuff to that market, and it is very tough right now.

I’m a Probation Officer and boy is it a grind. I’ve worked in law enforcement or law enforcement adjacent (court investigator) for the past 7 years. I love my coworkers and the job security but my creative side is is suffering. The stress from trying to manage a caseload of 80 clients (plus victims), all with their own unique issues, can be taxing. I’m not sure what other careers I could pursue but I’d love to write about the things that interest me: golf, watches, sports, cars. Any suggestions?
Just start. Create a blog or something, or youtube channel. If you're interested in a car, go see it, video it, post it online. Same thing for watches.

If you make money, I want 10% for "advisory fee":ROFLMAO:
If you get to review a Ball watch, send it to me when you're done and I'll give a long term review.:D:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I enjoy my job... COVID has definitely changed my job in many ways that I am not a fan, if we're being honest.

I am a Realtor and enjoy it most of the time. It can be a PITA dealing with some of these other idiots in the same profession. Clients can be a headache at times as well as lenders, title companies, home warranty companies, appraisers, home inspectors, etc.

This market is kinda weird right now and has its ups and downs. I look for there to be some bad mojo in the market eventually as a fallout from the craziness that has been 2020.

My favorite thing though is it allows me to be pretty flexible about my time. I can usually find plenty of time for family and my favorite activities.

I don't love my job. There are certainly other things that I wouldn't want to do so it is good from that perspective. I manage a sales team selling solutions to insurance companies. I have been selling technology for more than 30 years and it can be a bit of a grind as every year you start back at 0. It pays reasonably well and I have been able to provide pretty well for my family including covering college education for my two children. For at least the next 5-7 years I need to continue to maintain this level of income to set myself up for retirement. After that I may look for some sort of a side gig that includes insurance possibly in the golf industry. I have some connections there and would love to make a bit of money in a field I enjoy and still have time to play golf.

I wouldn't give up my income at this point to get into a field that I love. I definitely work to live not live to work. I would retire tomorrow if I could.

i truly dislike my job. i own a business but have 2 partners, so you are always answering to someone.

i took this job after college as a fill-in until i find a "real" job....well 23 years later i am still here.....UUUGGGHHH

Oil and Gas? I'm a sales guy too, and sell some stuff to that market, and it is very tough right now.
I'm finally free of the ups and downs of Houston's energy market - lots of heartbreak over the years....

I'm recruiting part-time still, but mainly logistics roles. My other job is working remotely for a content marketing firm. What do you sell? I may have some referrals for you (y)

I was a service technician for 36 years before I retired. The actual servicing of the restaurant equipment I worked on wasn’t bad, but the corporate greed of upper management and being treated like just another tool in the toolbox made it so easy to retire.

I don’t love what I do but it’s technically my “first job”. I’ve been working remotely since April and will be until at least January, as a super outgoing person that’s tough for me. I currently work for a really great company and took a role to kinda get my foot in the door. Ideally within the next year or less (hopefully) I can transition to a different role or maybe to a different company as a Financial Analyst or Business Analyst.
I think my dream job would be traveling and telling stories about sports, could be baseball, football, basketball, golf, doesn’t matter. With good videography, interesting history and a great personality (obviously me) I think it could be a hit!

Like the title sayshow many of you actually enjoy what you do for a living?

Would you do something different if you were given the chance? What would that job be?

Would you take a pay cut to do something you always wanted to do?

Now the real question, what is keeping you from taking that leap of faith?
1.) The more money I made over the years, the less I liked my jobs and co-workers.
2.) So many things. I wanted to be a writer and an artist among many, many things. I went into I.T. for financial security. :cautious:
3.) Yes. Almost walked away from I.T. to pursue becoming a PGA pro, but the hours are atrocious and I wanted to actually PLAY golf.
Anyone I asked said, "don't do it." Especially asst pros I used to play with and pros I knew.
4.) Health. Lack of interest in our plight as consumers and not much to motivate. It's all "stuff" in the end.

I run a tug boat for a living. I travel up and down the east coast moving petroleum products.
I work 6 months a year two weeks at a time. I cant imagine not doing it. It allows me a very active life with many side hobbies and ventures.
Best job in the world
My daily views.
76c9cf8f648198f3f7c1678711328a8c.jpg
8e03f493a4218a591b41e4a0fc7a8acf.jpg
7360c0a3702985828fa6e57d0f1cae49.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Vane Brothers? I think you told me before but I forget.

Vane Brothers? I think you told me before but I forget.

Reinauer. Company based out of NY. Better company, bigger equipment.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Back