How many of you enjoy your job?

I hate the job, but I love the money. That's good enough reason to keep signing the contracts I suppose.

I head up a small team of financial analysts who do forecasting and financial analysis at an investment firm in New York. “Wall Street” if you will.

It’s a means to an end. The hours are long, stress level is high, and the work is every bit as soul-crushing as you’ve probably heard or read about in the papers. On the plus side the pay is good, my coworkers are very smart and likeminded, and I feel like I’m learning new things every day.

But I do have golf to keep my mind sane :LOL:

I'm an Air Force veteran. Between my service time and working as a civilian, I worked in the aerospace industry for over 21 years. I was miserable the last 4-5 years working various white collar positions (supply chain/project management stuff).

I took a gamble on myself and left 3+ years ago to start a career in real estate. It's been one of the best decisions I have ever made. I love serving people 1-on-1 and that's something I rarely got the opportunity to do before. I'm loving my new career and I'm not sure if I could ever take another job working for someone else ever again.

Retirement is tough, but I think I can get through it. In fact, I sort of enjoy it!

I am a solutions engineer, I enjoy the job a lot but since it was a change of role and moved back to a start-up I had to take a pay cut. I am hoping when I hit my 1 year anniversary soon I can get bumped back up to "what I'm used to". I am a career salesperson but I moved to the more technical support position in the sales cycle since I did not enjoy the account management aspect, more so liked the creative problem solving and already had the technical chops to do so.

Oh there are moments. I spent 3.5 years convincing the company to embrace transparency and now I get to sit back with my popcorn as they realize that does more to empower those not in power and holds those that are accountable. The next 6 - 12 months will be so much fun!

I'm in a family business... and i truly love working with family. However, the stress levels, from trying to do my job the absolute best i can, are going to kill me.
i guess something has to....

Glad to see nothing has change in the year since I posted here. I’m a financial analyst and I feel like what I do makes a difference. I like helping and providing information to the people I work with, which I feel ultimately helps make a positive difference to the patients we serve.

While I agree in principle and do not like the phrase "because its been that way", doesn't necessarily make it right..But it also doesn't necessarily make it wrong, right? Employers will always take the brunt of the punishment when it comes to hours, but of course they are also the ones with all of the liability. The easiest solution (which isn't easy) is to start one's own business and create your own hours. (y)

As someone that has owned his own business, and I can see the time and effort that JB and GG have put into this place, doing so very well could have you begging for an 8-5 again, 😂. I only lived 15 miles away when I owned mine and I slept in the office there a couple times a week. Which was ok since I owned the place I put in a shower, 🤣-lots of flexibility there too as far as doing whatever you want. 18-20 hour days. It was brutal.

Could be worse? Normal time’s I work about 50 hours a week. Pandemic times? I averaged over 90 at one point and am still averaging over 80 on the year.

I do. Nice team, nice company and nice salary. Working from home is the icing on the cake.

I crunch numbers and do analysis for my company. I love what I do. If I could do anything I would do the same thing I do now except it would be for a golf company. Unfortunately none of them ever have work from home positions and I like living in Louisville. My employer, Humana, does provide the health insurance for the PGA Tour so I guess I am connected in a way.
I should update. I just got promoted and now have 6 direct reports doing data stuff. Having a team is a lot of fun. They are all really great people and good to great at what they do. I really love helping them solve problems and guiding their development to help them get to the next level in their careers.

I've been with this company for 9+ years and love the freedom it gives me. Do my job and plan my own schedule. It's great!

this is a perfect job for an Air Force retiree like myself...and several of my recruiting buddies work here too! :drinks:

Last edited:
My answer is going to depend on which day you ask me.

Supply Chain worker here... overall, I would say I half-enjoy my job. I tend to get frustrated and unmotivated in the day to day stuff, but I think that the company I work for is a lot better than others in our same industry. I really think that the company is heading the right way and the future of our supply chain is bright and there are a lot of very intelligent people on our team. I do wish I had a bit more schedule freedom and I would love to work from home, but oil and gas isn't the most WFH friendly industry. Very much stuck in the old ways.

Love going to work

Attachments

• B35BDCE8-BE0D-409F-921A-50F8D809CED3.jpeg
    B35BDCE8-BE0D-409F-921A-50F8D809CED3.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 10
I've been at my current job (Territory Manager for building supplies) for two years now and still really enjoy it. There are definitely days that are better than others, especially with the madness in the market the past year, but I work with really good people and 98% of my customers are absolutely awesome.

It's probably not what I want to do for the rest of my life and eventually I'd love to follow in my wife's footsteps and start a business of some kind but I'm pretty happy for now.

I posted back in the middle of 2020 that I enjoy my job. I generally have about a 2 year time frame where after that, I start to get a little bored as the routine sets in. I’m well into my 3rd year and still enjoy working where I do (a promotion helped, although I didn’t see my role change dramatically, just my title, and paycheck).

I should update. I just got promoted and now have 6 direct reports doing data stuff. Having a team is a lot of fun. They are all really great people and good to great at what they do. I really love helping them solve problems and guiding their development to help them get to the next level in their careers.

Love this, trying to reach this level where I can help people be successful and achieve what they want. I am transitioning to team lead soon with 3 reports so it's exciting to say the least.

Loved my job. Got to take clients to golf often. My first Scotland trip was taking clients...But I loved not having to go to work and free time more...So retired.

Hate my job, hate my pay, but my schedule allows me to not miss any of my daughters things and I can play quite a bit of golf.

Yes I like my job. No need to think about changing.

I used to love my last job before I retired. My manager was one of the smartest dudes I have ever known, but, he didn't always have to be the "smartest guy in the room". He once confused "Brownian motion", the movement of molecules within any fluid whether gaseous or liquid, with the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, which deals with subatomic particles. I'm a bit of a physics geek. I informed him of this, and he thanked me!

Then, we were told to call a certain number at a certain time of day for a conference call. He announced that he was leaving the company for another job. When I found out the details of the job that he was leaving for, I began to wonder. He and his wife had 2 Sons, and he was one of those super involved Dads. The new job would require him to travel all over the eastern U.S. and Ontario, Canada! I smelled that something was up.

We were a sub-division of an enormous company. Turns out we bought an even smaller company and folded it into us. And it turned out that we hired their Hitler of a Director of Sales for ours! When the changeover was made, I walked into the office to see one of my former co-workers walking toward me with his hand out! He said that it had been nice working with me, but he had transferred to the parent company. He had worked under the new Director at the former company and had almost come to blows with him! He said he couldn't afford that on his work record, because he knew that it would happen if he had to work under him again!

I thought that he might be exaggerating, but, he was not! This guy was a total jackass! As I got closer to retirement age, I called him out more and more in sales meeting. His sales staff in the old regime had pulled quite a few capers, and one that I just could not believe! But, he always covered for these people. When I called him out on that one, I was taken into his office and fired! He started ranting about why I was being let go, and I informed him that all that needed to be set down in writing and mailed to me! That never happened.

Then I went to the company secretary, aka comptroller, to tell her I had been fired, and it turned out that she hated the guy too! the guy had told me not to apply for unemplyment since I was being fired "for cause". She told me to go ahead and file since she hated the guy, and would make sure that it went through! It tided me over until retirement age!

Do I love my job? no. That is why they pay me to do it. Are there things I would enjoy more? Probably, are there things I would enjoy much less? definitely.

There are things about it I absolutely loathe, but those are fairly small in relation to all the positives. If they ever outweigh them, well I will do something else.

I love what I do. It's been very refreshing. It's a lot more stable for out family (I don't travel as much) and the stress I have is completely different.

Back