How many of you have taken a chrome iron and stripped it raw

Joshnoble01

2024 THP Fantasy Football Experience w/ Adam Rank
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Is this something you’ve done? Worth it? My next clubs will most likely be raw but there are a bunch of older clubs I want in raw when I clean them up.

Specifically I’m looking at a couple
Mizuno’s with MP-33 in the lead but a few others and will take suggestions. Also the j40s. My other favorite are the Hogan’s but I wouldn’t strip chrome off of those. That just seems wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No thank you. I like the chrome on there...

Hard to do. Very dangerous. But companies will strip and rechrome in black. They have black chrome and also you could do a black ox, black nickel plate, black pvd. I’d go with one of them. A guy on eBay will have a bunch of Mizunos and Bridgestones already done up to buy.

Yeah. I don’t plan on doing this myself. I was going to take it to a shop and have the chrome stripped. To my understanding this is easy for the right shop. Not safe on your own I could be wrong.

But I like the idea of black chrome too. Where would I do that.

Hard to do. Very dangerous. But companies will strip and rechrome in black. They have black chrome and also you could do a black ox, black nickel plate, black pvd. I’d go with one of them. A guy on eBay will have a bunch of Mizunos and Bridgestones already done up to buy.

This. It’s dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing.

Yeah. I don’t plan on doing this myself. I was going to take it to a shop and have the chrome stripped. To my understanding this is easy for the right shop. Not safe on your own I could be wrong.

But I like the idea of black chrome too. Where would I do that.

Most of the refinish places will strip the irons for you.

Had a set of callaway x-prototype years ago that got stripped and then treated with black oxide sure was a sweet set of sticks
The stripping was done by a pro company but i did the black oxide myself

Had a set of callaway x-prototype years ago that got stripped and then treated with black oxide sure was a sweet set of sticks
The stripping was done by a pro company but i did the black oxide myself
How did the black oxide hold up? Was it hard to do?

How did the black oxide hold up? Was it hard to do?
I would reapply it a few times during the season, but really easy to use.

I irons would rust but easy to rinse with some abrasive fine-grit sandpaper and then apply the black oxide after.

Here is before and after pictures of when i have applied the BO.

Attachments

• IMG_20130617_193246.jpg
    IMG_20130617_193246.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20130617_184244.jpg
    IMG_20130617_184244.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 18
Here is before and after pictures of when i have applied the BO.

Cool. Thanks. I was originally thinking raw because I actually love the rust.

But the idea of fully murdered blacked out MP-33 sounds rad. We’ll see what the quotes for black chrome come back at because if it is too much oxide will be the route I got.

Back