How Many Sets Of Irons Do You Test?

Scrap Iron

On The Eh Team
Reaction score
Handicap
Hero Shots
When your looking st buying new clubs how many different sets of irons do you test and do you try the full set or just a few clubs from each set before you purchase. Or do you just buy blind?

answer: yes. haha.

I try to test as much as I can throughout the year, but if I find a really good deal online, I may buy them blind. When testing though I will typically only test a few of them (6/7 iron), which probably isn't the best way, but sometimes it's the only way at most stores.

I have a handful or so I test unless I'm looking at one brand only them it's 1-2 sets from that company.

I usually try an 8 iron from 4/5 sets if I like that I start hitting the rest of the sets to make my decision.

I buy 'em on average once every ten years so I'd better be sure. This last time I tried eight different sets.

Irons is pretty personal, I will usually try and test all of the irons that fit my eye the best. See which ones I like the most out of those then go for a fitting with my choices and see if a fitter can recommend something else based on the data. Then I take the data and my gut feeling and make a decision.

My last new set I wanted and ordered to my specs. Wasn't the best decision this time. :banghead: It happens, need to see a fitter and get a shaft change.

Exactly what OITW said. I'm going through it now. Pain in the butt

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

In most of my fittings, I've probably tested 3-4 heads. Now, that's not to say I had some idea what I was interested in going in beforehand based on swings at a demo day or something. But I've usually gone in, and the fitter has narrowed it down to a few heads based on the interview.

I don't buy irons often having only played 6 sets since 1980. I always do testing before I buy and have only once had to return a set once because I didn't like them. Before getting my Srixon 765/565's last fall, I tested similar irons from Ping, Taylormade, Titleist, Bridgestone, Mizuno, and Cobra. I made the right choice!

I hit anything I can get my hands on... pretty much every year. :D

I usually have 2 or 3 in mind coming in the store. Another 1 or 2 sets may catch my attention on the way to demo though.

Sent from my SM-G900W8

Zero. I just buy them

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I did a lot or research and then narrowed it down to a couple sets and went from there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I bought my irons last year. I tested the Callaway Apex, Mizuno MP25's, Mizuno JPX Forged, Titleist AP2's, Ping I-25's and Ping S55's. I really liked the MP25's the best however, I didn't hit that sweet spot all of the time. The second best iron for me was the JPX Forged, however, I was just dead on with the Ping S55's. I pulled the plug with the S55's with a stiff shaft and have been extremely pleased.

How many do I test?

On my last 4 iron purchases, I haven't tried any of them out in advance.

I suppose my answer would be zero.

Have been buying blind mainly based on THP reviews. No opportunity to test clubs where I live. Going to do it right next time though and go someplace to test before buying.

I may try 3-4 sets prior to buying. But I always get fitted prior to purchase.

Semi blind. My club pro had a set of Burner 2.0 irons he wanted me to try a few years ago. They hit well so I bought them. No real fitting. Still like them and keep at my vacation condo on the coast and use there. My current set I just bought, I didn't hit beforehand. I did hit some G30's my friends had and I liked fine. I ordered these to the specs I had years ago when I was fitted for a set of Ping Zing 2's. This time I sorta confirmed from Ping's online fitting. Not scientific......but worked out fine. My pro is not longer here and there are no golf fitting stores within a 100 miles of me. Ping and others do come through maybe once a year so I could have been fitted at demo day. But I wanted my new toys now. :)

I do a lot of touchy feely type of thing and I limit it down to a few sets and go from there

Before I bought my CF 16 I do believe a I tested several irons. From those different irons I usually hit the PW, and then something like the 7 or 8 irons.

i'll test whichever iron fits my eye the best. For some sets that the 6i, for others thats the 8i. Usually i'll never touch the PW since I use a 46* MD3. In the last year i've tested close to 12 sets of irons.

It depends. If I'm buying custom to my specs and intending to use the set for a long time, I'll try at least a short iron and long iron from every set I try, and I'll usually try every iron I can get my hands on that matches the rough profile I'm looking for. Then I decide based on feel and performance which one I'm gonna go for and get fitted and dialed in for it.

If I'm taking a flyer on an older iron set used or something though, and it's cheaper, I may just buy blind. I had reasonable success with sets of Adams CB3 and Srixon Z-Stars that way.

It depends for me. On my last set of irons, I hit everything that interested me, then went in for a fitting. Based on those results and what I liked the best, I chose my current irons. I've also been fit for two sets of irons before these, but the last two sets I played for any length of time were impulse buys. A set of pings I bought purely off of my love for the i20s, which didn't work out and a set of Speedblades, which I played for quite a while and enjoyed very much.

As many as I can! I like to test before I buy. Sometimes that doesn't happen tho.

Back