How many sets of irons do you use in a year?

How many iron sets are you playing with? I've always had one set that I played with throughout the year, but some of these deals have me itching to get a second set to play with...... Just worried that it could affect my game significantly.

What are your experiences with it?

I stuck with the same irons for most of last year. I did changed shafts a couple of times.

I have one set down south for the winter and two up north for the summer, one stays a my summer club and the other is for trips to other clubs. There is a forth set, they are the first nice new set I bought in the seventies, a set of Ben Hogan Directors, don’t use them though.

1 set, I'm not good enough to be switching between sets all the time. Now my old set I kept & might use them for winter golf.

You’ll have to ask the folks working at thp who run thru sets. The rest of us get a set and play them till the wheels fall off. Lol. Or it’s a new money thing to buy golf stuff constantly.
I used one set for the first 10 years and another set for the next 15 years - just bought a new set and will have it for the next 10-15 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have about 15 rounds in with the Forged Tecs, and I've recently started shopping for something new, so... probably too many. I blame THP.

1 set, usually for several years. I played my last irons for 10 years.

One set. I have a spare bag but don't use it much unless I'm goofing around.

Usually just one. And for the past 5 years it’s been only one set.

But this year I’m sitting on 2 beautiful sets of irons - Apex Pros and Mavrik Pros. The latter of which is what I was fit for at the grandaddy. They’re exceptional and I’m enjoying them the few rounds I’ve actually been able to play so far. Between weather in Connecticut and course closings, I’m not getting much golf in as I normally do this time of year. But when things start back up, I’ll be gaming 2 sets this year! :love:

The ones here at home in MN, the ones I keep in Palm springs and the ones I keep in San Diego at my sister in laws place.

I usually end up having 2 sets and end the season with 1 after testing both for a couple of rounds. This year I have 2 sets with the same shafts so planning on keeping them both and making one set the travel set

I’ve always only had one, but I’ll have two at the start of this season. One is current set, and second are for testing (and hopefully becoming my gamers).

One set "at a time" but possibly 2-4 sets per year depending on mood and the amount of Solar flares in any given year.

I’m on my 6th set since 1980 so about 7 years per set.

For the past three years I’ve had the luxury of two sets of irons to choose from. I pretty well stick with one set until for whatever reason I just get the itch or my performance drops off.

This year I’m starting out with a new set of irons but I do have a second set that I will use occasionally because I just love the way they look and they have a great shaft combination as well. Incidentally both of my current iron sets have nearly identical shafts (Recoil 95 F3) with some slight variances (one set is hard-stepped/1/2” shorter; other set 100% stock F3). Going to be interesting if any significant difference.

Two sets, primary is Mizuno MP18 with recoils. Second is Mizuno JPX 900 forged with KBS Tour 90's. Like them both but for different reasons. Also have a third set, Wilson F5's. they are my back ups to the back ups. :sneaky:

Oh lord. Too many, but dammit it’s fun.

Last year though was my lowest amount, it was pretty much CF19 combos, MP20 and Forged Tec.

Hoping this year I stop being so ridiculous.... but at this rate 3 sets of irons

Usually two. Whatever I play for the year and a borrowed or rented set due to a travel game.

Between one & two. I have a few bags set ups & will rotate occasionally between the two.

I’ve been going two years per set of irons. Don’t see that changing in the near future, especially not even being able to play right now.

Just one set the past few years. I did try one round with my (very) old set last year when an old buddy from my USAF days came through here. I let him use my gamers and I played my spare set. That was a one and done experiment.
edit - Things might change soon. For the past few weeks, whenever I do the outside check in at one of my courses, there's been a shiny set of Mavrik/Catalyst irons sitting in the USED RACK. Tempting being only 10 feet away but untouchable behind the window. I would've demoed and possibly bought them weeks ago but we're not allowed inside and they aren't allowed to let anything out that might come back in.

Last edited:
Used to be 1 set per decade,now since joining hackers things are changing I am hoping of getting 2nd set in 4 months.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I use one set for about 18 months. Seems like a good rotation. Everything else seems to change a lot quicker.

Back