How Much Arc Do You Have?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of conversation of Arc vs SBST and we know through laser use that there is some arc in most strokes. How much do you have or think you have?

I was convinced I was a SBST putter for years but was proven very wrong last year. I'm not exactly sure how much I have but I was urged to move to a putter with a decent amount of toe hang.

I have a little arc, but not sure how much. I usually get fit into putters with toe hang around 4:30, but lately I've been putting great with a face balanced putter.

with toe hang my arc gets almost unserviceably strong. i’ve had success with it, but i do seem to find struggles. i’ve had a double bend shaft face balanced putter in the bag for about 4 months and while it took a little getting used to, the results cannot be denied. i still have some arc, but i think it’s less than before.

I am pretty sure that I have very little arc...time to figure out for sure to be able to find, and work on, a repeatable swing

Fairly strong arc for me. I use an Evnroll 8.3 (like an Odyssey #9) to match it.

I’ve worked a lot with the Ping app to understand arc. Arc is how much your stroke “arcs” away from the target line. When you set up with your eyes over the ball you have basically three choices for your stroke:

1. You can keep the putter on the plane of the shaft, which should be on plane through your elbows. You should keep the clubface square to that plane or arc. This is a fairly flat plane and is strong arc.

2. You can use your shoulders as the plane. This is the stroke that is typically promoted today in most putting instruction. You maintain the “triangle” structure made by your shoulders and arms, and just rotate or “rock” the baby or rock the shoulders. Keep the clubface square to your shoulders. This is a bit more of an upright plane for the clubhead and is a slight arc.

3. You can use your eyes as the plane, and keep the putter face square to them, which if your eyes are over the ball is also square to the target line. This is very upright and is the straight back straight through stroke, no arc.

I’ve used all three stroke types. But I presently use a strong arc stroke because it seems more natural to me get my feel mostly from my right hand like I was easily tossing a ball to roll on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have very little arc. I try to be SBST, but I think I roll it better if I allow a slight arc.

when I am putting poorly it is because I have a lot of arc, using the putting mat (think Visio 21 or more) and when I am putting better it is usually because I keep things on a much tighter arc (15-18 on that same scale). Find the center of the face more often, and start the ball on a better line.

I have absolutely no clue how much arc I have. I've never measured it, never really thought about it, and haven't had a putting evaluation or lesson.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Probably slight arc. I used to think I was a SBST guy, but over time a bit of arc has worked it's way in there.

Lots of arc. I try to take the putter back on a straight line until arc naturally kicks in, but I still have tons of arc.

I have a slight arc in my stroke. Not too much. Face balanced putters work best for me.

I’m convinced my stroke is straight back straight through, or at least that’s what I aim for.

Next to none.

I’m pretty sure there’s no such thing as a SBST Stroke, it goes against the laws of physics unless you’re standing directly over the ball, and in that particular case your legs would get in the way of the swing.

I’m pretty sure there’s no such thing as a SBST Stroke, it goes against the laws of physics unless you’re standing directly over the ball, and in that particular case your legs would get in the way of the swing.

It’s just a term used for a putting stroke that doesn’t swing open or closed very much through the stroke. I putt best with a SBST type of swing and have very little arc.

I have no idea how much arc I have. It doesn’t feel like a lot but it might be. I really need to get a laser

Definitely some arc in my stroke. I putt best with a putter that hangs between 3:30 and 4:30. I’m back to an #1 blade with a plumbers neck. I tried a TM slant neck spider and realized it didn’t have enough toe hang and I should’ve never went away from a #1 plumbers neck. My 3 putts per round tripled at least. Got a Cleveland HB1 back in the bag so hopefully I straighten things out the next few rounds.

its a term used in describing strokes. We have a video from a while back discussing the possibility

I have a very slight arc but mostly straight back and through. Recently have been reading more into the right kinds of putters which match my stroke

... I have a strong arc and considering putting a strength of my game. My eyes are 2" inside the line and my pendulum mini swing is purely natural with no manipulation. When I went for a putter fitting I was "extremely consistent with face angle and path thru impact" and while he normally recommends less of an arc and prefers eyes over the ball, he said he wouldn't change a thing. Good deal because after back surgery my full swing always seems to be in some kind of transition so it's nice not to worry about my putting stroke.

Mine is mostly sbst although I know I have a very slight arc. That said I have a face balanced putter and one with a slight hang. I prefer the FB.

I perceive myself as having a slight arc in my stroke.

Very little. I'm a big advocate of SBST.

Back