How much do you focus on what your hands are doing in the swing?

Once my hands are in the proper grip I usually don't think about them. My main concern is starting my hip movement at the correct time on my downswing.

From a purely scientific standpoint you can read this article below:

Attentional focus and motor learning: a review of 15 years (unlv.edu)

Note the following regarding its application to the golf swing:

Accuracy

Several studies have assessed movement effectiveness by using outcome measures such as accuracy in hitting a target. Accuracy in hitting golf balls has been demonstrated to be enhanced when performers were asked to focus on either the swing of the club (Wulf, Lauterbach, & Toole, 1999; Wulf & Su, 2007), the clubface, or the intended ball trajectory (Bell & Hardy, 2009) rather than on their arms (Wulf et al., 1999; Wulf & Su, 2007) or wrists (Bell & Hardy, 2009). Similarly, putting accuracy was increased with focus instructions directed at the movements of the putter compared to movements of the hands (Granados, 2010). Interestingly, external focus instructions enhanced performance even in experienced athletes relative to internal focus (Bell & Hardy, 2009; Wulf & Su, 2007) and control conditions (Wulf & Su, 2007).

A recent study by An et al. (forthcoming) examined the effects of attentional focus instructions on the learning of movement form and carry distance in novice golfers. An important contributor to the carry distance is the so-called X-factor (i.e., the rotation of the shoulders relative to the pelvis). Its increase during the downswing (so-called X-factor stretch) is associated with the carry distance of the ball, and both have been shown to be associated with an early weight shift toward the front leg during the downswing (e.g., Hume, Keogh, & Reid, 2005). Therefore, An et al. instructed one group of participants to focus on shifting their weight to their left foot while hitting the ball (internal) and another group to focus on pushing against the left side of the ground (external). After a three-day retention interval, the external focus group demonstrated a greater X-factor stretch, higher maximum angular velocities of the pelvis, shoulder, and wrist, and a greater carry distance of the ball than the internal focus and a control group, which showed very similar performances. These findings demonstrate that both movement outcome and form can be enhanced in complex skill learning by providing learners with relatively simple external focus instructions.

-----------
If you read more of the article it also claims that studies show that using 'external focus' engage and fire the correct muscles in a more efficient manner (ie. less wasted effort).

Also note the following extract:

We were particularly struck by the fact that often a one- or two-word difference in the instructions (e.g., ‘focus on the markers’ versus ‘focus on your feet’; Wulf et al., 1998, Experiment 2) had such a strong impact on performance. We therefore suggested that an internal focus may act as a ‘self-invoking trigger’. That is, references to one’s body parts or bodily movement are assumed to facilitate access to the neural representation of the self and result in self-evaluative and self-regulatory processing. Given that the self appears to be highly accessible, even unconsciously, in many circumstances, including all movement contexts influencing thoughts, actions, and behavior (e.g., Bargh & Morsella, 2008; Chartrand & Bargh, 2002) we argued that conditions that trigger neural activation in the self system (e.g., internal focus instructions) result in what we called ‘micro-choking’ episodes

Bell and Hardy’s study demonstrated greater accuracy in hitting golf balls when the focus was on the ball trajectory and landing point (distal) compared to the club (proximal).

Thus, there is certainly potential to improve performance through the education of practitioners. The only cost involved may be a little bit of creativity in the wording instructions or feedback.

I try not to. I feel like if I start thinking hand positions I get all jacked up..

I don't think about my hands besides the grip. Frankly on the golf course I try not to think about much besides the target. When practicing I think about different things but I don't think about what the hands do to much through impact.

I try to focus on remembering whether I breathe in or breathe out during my backswing.

Which do you do? :sneaky:

I try to focus on remembering whether I breathe in or breathe out during my backswing.

Which do you do? :sneaky:
Hold my breath and exhale when I know the ball isn't 50 yards into the woods! 😎

I focus on my grip, setup, extension and effort when warming up. I want great extension and low (2 of 10) effort. Grip and effort get me the softness in the wrists to do what they need to do. These focuses also seem to get me sync'ed on both sequencing and tempo. I want to groove these patterns BEFORE playing so I just repeat and don't think of them when I am playing.

The one exception is the half swing. For me, I need to focus on getting the wrists fully cocked (90%) by the time the arms reach 9 o'clock. I do this with a rehearsal swing or two. Then simply repeat.

Here's an oldie video - it might just change the way you practice.

i pay attention to where i am putting them on the grip...strong or weak, driver or iron and then take a practice swing trying to show them (my hands) what and where i want them to be, and then i hit and the hands seems to do what they want. in the actual swing i am trying to square the clubface up as best i can and kinda forget about my hands.

Back