How much do you focus on what your hands are doing in the swing?

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
I have come to this realization previously, but I tend to forget over time. Last night, I was swinging the club as well as I have for months. Everything was dead on money (relative to my capability). I was hitting the ball long and on target.

As I thought about what I was doing in my swing, it hit me that my wrists felt very loose and relaxed and I was holding the club extra lightly. It reinforced again how important the hands and wrists are in creating another fulcrum in the golf swing.

How conscious are all of you in this aspect of your swing?

To much already in my little

😉

Once my hands are placed on the club, they are on their own as I am not fast enough to follow them. One exception might be if I consciously try to lower them from the top on the downswing

I think about my hands during the take away and trying to keep them from being pulled down from the top. Usually just feel the left hip in the downswing.

Push slice here. I try to focus on the left wrist being straight. unfortunately it's impossible to then hit the ball. Lol.

I am always gripping to tightly, always.

These answers are interesting. I watched a YouTube video that is part of a series done by Tiger Woods on how he plays. I think it may be called “My Game.” Anyway, in the video I am referencing, he discussed how much he is aware of what his hands are doing in his wedge swing, either to reduce spin, increase it or shape his shot.

When I mentioned above that I noticed something in my hands and wrists, I meant more that it is a pre-shot thought, not something I am doing during the swing itself.

I am very conscious of my hands. My body turn is pretty natural and my footwork and lower body is pretty much ingrained after a year of work where I don't have to think about it at this point. My wrist position is key to my swing. My mishits are almost entirely based on something wrong with my hand position in the backswing.

I try to get my hands in the right position prior to the swing, then let them do what they do. Overthinking any part of my swing (as it's happening) rarely ends well for me. About as far as I'll go with it is occasionally trying to hold them off a bit when left is dead and I'm trying to avoid a pull/hook - and even that usually results in a big push right.

I'm conscious of how I place them on the grip, whether I take a strong or normal grip. I may exaggerate turning the club face over in my warm ups, but once I'm on the course I don't give it another thought. As long as I can get my shoulders into the correct alignment everything else takes care of itself.

Recently very much so. I realized that i was holding my driver and woods to firm in my hands. I would hold it even tighter at impact which would open my club face up and cause even more side spin.

less pressure on my grip has taken some spin off my shots. Still trying to make grip, swing, and set up as fundamental as possible.

They're a big part of my practice swing to engrain a feeling because I had been flipping the club back and underneath recently (getting handsy). During the swing, there's a lot of prayer involved.

My only thought regarding my hands is to "lose an arm-wrestling match" on the takeaway with my right hand.

My right hand has a tendency to get too active, and I am currently working on that. As to how I grip the club, I hold lightly and like/need to feel the weight of the club throughout the swing. I have a light transition and generate speed with timing and sequencing. The feel of the club's weight is my focus for good swings. If my hands get strong, I can lose track of the club and my swing gets all wonky.

IMO it's a fallacy to diminish the right hand in the golf swing because that's where a majority of the power comes from at impact. If I'm going to drive a railroad spike with a sledgehammer, I'm going to primarily use my right hand. Why? Because the left side has far less power without the right hand. That said, would someone go OTT with a sledgehammer in a swing?

Probably not.

Damn! another thing to think about? I'm just gonna hover over the ball for 5 minutes while I think about everything. :LOL:

These answers are interesting. I watched a YouTube video that is part of a series done by Tiger Woods on how he plays. I think it may be called “My Game.” Anyway, in the video I am referencing, he discussed how much he is aware of what his hands are doing in his wedge swing, either to reduce spin, increase it or shape his shot.

When I mentioned above that I noticed something in my hands and wrists, I meant more that it is a pre-shot thought, not something I am doing during the swing itself.
This is interesting. I was about to say 'depending on the shot I'm playing, very aware'. I need to watch more old Tiger stuff.

Wedges, absolutely. My hands are considered active by today's standards on a lot of my wedge shots, and I'm very aware of how I'm using them to manifold manipulate shots. I focus on my grip and initial pressure and wrist break at the start and at the top. A looser grip helps me keep my wrists more relaxed too. I can get a little firm at the top in general with them without that grip reminder.

This is interesting. I was about to say 'depending on the shot I'm playing, very aware'. I need to watch more old Tiger stuff.

Wedges, absolutely. My hands are considered active by today's standards on a lot of my wedge shots, and I'm very aware of how I'm using them to manifold manipulate shots. I focus on my grip and initial pressure and wrist break at the start and at the top. A looser grip helps me keep my wrists more relaxed too. I can get a little firm at the top in general with them without that grip reminder.
My LPGA instructor insists on a "pause" at the top of the backswing on wedge shots to allow some lower-body movement on the downswing. Her wedge shots are like a "slap/thump" sound with a "hissing" of the ball (backspin) upon the launch.

I try my hardest not to think about what they're doing otherwise I really start to overthink. A couple of years ago I went to an instructor who had me trying to manipulate my hands during the backswing, and then pull the grip of the club towards the ball at the top of the backswing. I tried it for a couple of months and my game went downhill rapidly, just couldn't sync it all up. Went to a different instructor, the guy I have now, and he reversed it all and worked on other things. Too many moving parts complicates things for me completely!

I have spent years educating my hands and forearms in the golf swing to work in the opposite direction to my arm swing during both the backswing and forward swing. It is automatic now so I don't focus on it but I am aware of what they are doing from start to finish.

Until you asked the question I don't think I ever consider the hands once they are gripping the club, the only time I ever would was if I was trying to hit a running hook under something where I would think about trying to roll my right hand over.
Thinking about it some more I think about the club face and what I want it to do rather than my hands, arms etc and let it flow from there.

I don’t think so much about my hands. I do have to focus a bit to get my wrists set the way I want them at the top. If they don’t set correctly it will not be an accurate swing.

I need to feel what the club head is doing in the swing to make a good pass at it. Loose wrists are a huge part of that. When my swing starts feeling more armsy than handsy, I'm usually in trouble. My feeling and focus is to swing the club head not just my arms

Back