How much do you rely on your yardage device?

It's really interesting to me that so many of you rely on range finders and such. I'm an old player and we didn't have all that technology when I first started playing. A guy I play with quite often asked me today why I don't use them. I just told him I'm more comfortable with pacing off yardages from sprinkler heads. I'm always within two or three yards of what their range finders say. I still play different types of shots. Full shots, knock downs, flop shots are all part of how I play. As long as I'm comfortable with the club in my hands, I can usually get it fairly close. That's how I learned how to play and I probably won't be changing that style. I get it that people love gadgets today. I'm fine with that. Whatever floats your boat is where you should go.

It's really interesting to me that so many of you rely on range finders and such. I'm an old player and we didn't have all that technology when I first started playing. A guy I play with quite often asked me today why I don't use them. I just told him I'm more comfortable with pacing off yardages from sprinkler heads. I'm always within two or three yards of what their range finders say. I still play different types of shots. Full shots, knock downs, flop shots are all part of how I play. As long as I'm comfortable with the club in my hands, I can usually get it fairly close. That's how I learned how to play and I probably won't be changing that style. I get it that people love gadgets today. I'm fine with that. Whatever floats your boat is where you should go.

I think (for me at least) what @OldandStiff said was spot on. It's all about the routine.

A lot, but after 43 years of golf, I'm pretty good at eyeballing distances.

My range finder died in the middle of a round on a new course and I felt like I was totally lost.

I now carry backup batteries in my bag for it.

It’s important to me but I don’t get too bogged down. I look at my gps on every hole. I think it is somewhat dependent on how familiar I am with the course and where I end up on the hole.

I just bought my first rangefinder, excited to see how my game chances from pacing off yardages.

I am horrible at estimating yardage so I rely on my GPS watch way too much for club selection.

I rely on mine pretty heavily. My sense of distance sucks, so i need to. I try to be quick about it though.

I can't live without them, especially with my depth perception and some tricky course architects. I generally trust them. I have found Arccos, Garmin, and Shot Scope (except right after last week's update) to be pretty close. I trust the distances and any slope/updated distance

Last time out I forgot to charge my device and didn't realize how much I rely on it. It was weird to look for the 150 bush...lol

It's all a matter of whatever makes you comfortable. My guess is younger players that started out playing with range finders, GPS or whatever rely on them more than some of us older players. I've been playing for nearly sixty years. Judging distances, factoring in the wind and the slope (uphill or downhill) were all part of learning how to play. We had persimmon woods, balata balls and two irons in our bags. Golf is really hard and anything that makes it easier is fine with me.

Too much. I played recently without a range finder. (Mine had to be replaced because of water issues) and I didn’t use my watch for the first 5 or 6 holes. Just guessing and using the 150 for reference. I have no clue what distance is anymore. Holy heck, I have become a slave to technology and distance reading devices, no doubt.

Since I pretty much play all my golf at the course I belong to, I never refer to my distance measuring devices on the tee (except par 3s) or for par 5 layups. I do laser the flag on every approach and on one particular hole where the green is protected by a pond with a very steep bank up to the green, I usually want to know what the distance is to the back of the green to have a little buffer so I'll look at my Shot Scope V3 for that.

I have a laser ( Bushnell 1600) and use GolfShot app for GPS.
GolfShot gives me F/M/B yardages and distance to clear bunkers, hazards etc.
I rely on both quite a bit, but lately I've just used the App in an attempt to not fixate on the pin, and play in it's general direction instead, along with familiarity with the course I'm on.
My iron game has been woeful for a while now, and I read a tip that suggested playing for the yardage to the back of the geen/ 10yrd past the pin to remedy the tendency to come up short that most amateurs have.

I use a gps watch. Because of the OCD I rarely forget it (the routine of going golfing never changes, lol)

I like not having to determine yardage by rock or sprinkler hear, whatever.

I haven't found the feature on the watch that allows me to execute that exact yardage yet, tho

I use a gps watch. Because of the OCD I rarely forget it (the routine of going golfing never changes, lol)

I like not having to determine yardage by rock or sprinkler hear, whatever.

I haven't found the feature on the watch that allows me to execute that exact yardage yet, tho
When they invent that watch I'll be the first in line to buy it! :LOL:

Back