How much do you take from seeing other putts?

How much does seeing another putt determine yours?

• I'll take a read where I can get it.

Votes: 68 74.7%
  • I try not to pay attention.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • That's me, squatting directly behind you.

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • It's a small percentage of the information I use.

Votes: 14 15.4%
  • Mine never rolls the same as the last guys anyway.

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
You had a hard time in Kindergarten didn't you? :p

Seriously though, it is hard to judge their dew lines because you don't now how hard to hit it, plus its hard to tell the grain of the green in this pic.
You wish you had half my phone finger drawing skillz!

I would use them to get in idea of the read. It should give you a pretty good idea of how far out to play it. Of course it all comes down to speed.

Usually when I am unsure I love to get a read. I almost always pay attention to what is going on right by the hole too. That seems to be where surprises lurk most often.

Jeez! Don't stick them so close @OldandStiff then you can putt first like me! 😉🤣🤣

I look at the green driving/walking up. I watch how somebody’s chip rolled. I watch the pace of other putts(especially early before I have a good feel). I watch the last 3 feet of the putt a lot. I won’t stand directly behind them. That’s kinda rude I suppose. I will slip that way once it starts rolling. And I will darn sure jokingly scold them if they make a bad putt that gives me no good info! “Cmon dude that didn’t help me at all!” Smiling while saying it of course.

If it makes sense for the putt I’m about to take I’ll pay close attention to the last 1/3 to confirm what I’m seeing and adjust if it’s different

Mostly looking for how it reacts near the hole.

I vkted take when I can get one.
That said,...I dont go out of my my way nor look all the time but I will grab some info when convenient enough.
Sometimes I didnt pay attention and then say to myself "why didnt i just watch that putt?"

I do hate when I do pay closer attention and the person putts horribly bad leaving you not only with no clue of help but maybe even more question than you originally had...lol:confused2:

Even the pros watch their opponents putt, in a professional manner of course. It's part of the game, when you hit it the closest to the pin you have earned the right to watch others putt first.

what you're talking about isn't as informative as watching someone putt on your similar line because an after-the-fact line only shows you, well, the line, and nothing about speed. seeing the combination of both is exceedingly helpful (to me) prior to a putt.

what you're talking about isn't as informative as watching someone putt on your similar line because an after-the-fact line only shows you, well, the line, and nothing about speed. seeing the combination of both is exceedingly helpful (to me) prior to a putt.
I'm talking about all situations where you get some info on prior putts. Yesterday was just one example.

If I'm in a scramble, I usually anchor the putting and will watch one or two putts from behind the hole, and the other from behind the golfer. I want to see as much of the line/break as I can get.

If I'm in a normal (casual) round I might look at the last half of a putt if I'm second guessing myself on what it might do, otherwise I could care less. There are so many variables that go into a stroke that unless you're on the exact same starting spot each and every time all I think you can really expect to get might be confirmation of a movement or not. Two putts hit at different speeds will take different lines into the hole. A left handed putt can take a slightly different path than a right handed putt and still go in if sidespin is involved.

Can the diameter of the cup be influenced by the barometric pressure present when you putt vs. when the putt you watched was rolled? Maybe a blade of grass grew a sixteenth of an inch and influences your roll. Wait, I'm starting to sound like Brys-:banghead:

So I’ll take a read where I can but if I’m not on the same line it’s kinda food for thought. If my read is off left instead or right I’ll take note. Other than that I kind of prefer to play my read.

There's no way I'm passing up a free read of the putt I'm trying to sink :LOL:

If they on a similar line to my putt and hitting before me they I will pay attention. I guess I don't watch stroke, but I watch pace and line so I recognize a faster tempo won't break as much.

If they have a similar stroke I will pay attention. If it is my dad I will wash my eyes out with turpentine to forget the misery! Slice putter with no pace! Haha

Me watching other people putt.

The LAST PORTION is what matters most(When it curls on HARD breakers especially).
I DEFINITELY WATCH after I've already picked a line.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

This is where the company you keep really matters. I remember playing a four person scramble years ago with three guys whose game I hadn't seen. On the first hole we had a 15-foot putt for birdie. Pretty flat. 2-3 inch break right to left depending on speed. My partners putted first. The closest of those three was 8 feet away. I knew then it was going to be a long day.

It’s not the end all for me but I will certainly take a peek and gather any information I can from it.

This is where the company you keep really matters. I remember playing a four person scramble years ago with three guys whose game I hadn't seen. On the first hole we had a 15-foot putt for birdie. Pretty flat. 2-3 inch break right to left depending on speed. My partners putted first. The closest of those three was 8 feet away. I knew then it was going to be a long day.
That's never a good thing.

Watching others putts is huge! It’s a key to good putting. Even subconsciously it will help you judge speed and get a feel for the conditions. I try to watch every putt before me, every time.

Back