How much do you take from seeing other putts?

How much does seeing another putt determine yours?

• I'll take a read where I can get it.

Votes: 68 74.7%
  • I try not to pay attention.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • That's me, squatting directly behind you.

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • It's a small percentage of the information I use.

Votes: 14 15.4%
  • Mine never rolls the same as the last guys anyway.

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
So yesterday we played in the rain and on some holes there were noticeable ball tracks/paths on the greens from the people ahead of us. I'm here at home nursing a sore back and editing videos and I noticed one where there was a whole bunch of activity from a similar place as where I was, that I kind of ignored, and dropped the putt. I'm realizing I only ignored it because I'd been in that position before and knew what it would do. On others, especially early on, I paid more attention to what previous putts had obviously done, and it kind of misinformed me once. First hole I missed from 6' because I was going off a fresh line. I gradually paid less attention as the round went on, and it served me well. My partner didn't and it kind of had him messed up all day. We talked about it on course a bit.

There was a older guy and younger guy right ahead of us, and I think the younger one was getting an on course lesson or something. Or practicing after holing out. I don't know, but it has me wondering how much you all take from watching someone else's putt? I think I mostly use it when I'm unsure, and I think again, that I try to ignore just about all of it if the person behind me puts a crap stroke on the putt. Take minimal information on speed or something and that's it.

What about you guys?

If I can glean some info from a guys putt I will, especially as it slows at the hole. You still have to have the correct line though.

If I can glean some info from a guys putt I will, especially as it slows at the hole. You still have to have the correct line though.
Do you watch the stroke though, or just the roll? What if the guy puts some sidespin on his putts? My wife's uncle comes to mind. Watching his putts will eff you every time. I had to learn that the hard way. :LOL:

As long as you are not interfering with the other golfers putting it would be foolish not to pay attention and get every bit of help you can.;)

Do you watch the stroke though, or just the roll? What if the guy puts some sidespin on his putts? My wife's uncle comes to mind. Watching his putts will eff you every time. I had to learn that the hard way. :LOL:
If he is a somewhat questionable putter then no point really. But a good putter and the ball is rolling smooth, then ya I'm watching.

I don’t put much stock in it unless a playing partner gets a roll I really didn’t see.

I will only actively look at someone else's putt when I am very unsure of which way it is breaking. Being a lefty, I swear putts come off the face differently versus a righty. With that said, when I am playing in the morning, I will definitely check out the dew lines present on the green.

I will only actively look at someone else's putt when I am very unsure of which way it is breaking. Being a lefty, I swear putts come off the face differently versus a righty. With that said, when I am playing in the morning, I will definitely check out the dew lines present on the green.
Okay, so this goes exactly to what I'm talking about from yesterday. Give me a second and I'll screencap and try to show what I mean.

If their line has anything to do with mine, I'll take a read when I can get it. Even more so on a course I'm not as familiar with. But I pay attention to whether or not they mishit the putt too, because that can limit (or completely negate!) the usefulness of whatever information I might get from it.

I always watch the putting stroke and take that into account when gleaning a read from someone else.

I will never stand behind someone while they putt but I will step over after they hit and watch the break. Oddly enough I forget to watch my own ball a lot after it goes by the pin.

20200924_123031.jpg

So I don't have picture from the first hole where looking at one got me. I was 6' away left to right and someone's second putt I think was nearly directly on my line and obviously went in. I followed it, and missed. First hole, bad weather, no practice putts, seemed like as good a read as any.

On this hole there was a bunch going on. Not surprising. I was below the hole, and everything was playing almost a club longer in the heavy air and rain. These are the lines I could see from my vantage. Someone had landed left fringe directly behind me I think and came nowhere near and tried again or something, and then tried to fail worse? I don't know. Maybe went back to fringe to the right and tried again, or someone else. Really hard to say. There were footprints everywhere, and a repaired ball mark short right of my ball. I was nearly in mine, which was a common theme for me that day. I plugged 2.

So I basically ignored all the lines because I know this putt, rolled on the gold, and made it. So here's the question. If you're the next guy, and you're short in that same area, which is likely, do you follow my line or base your read off of it? You have no idea if I spun the crap out of it, chipped it from the fringe with more initial velocity, rammed it in the hole on the putt, died it at the hole, etc. Right? So how much can you take from it?

We have a ton of dew here, but I don't typically play early, so this isn't something I've really thought much about until now. When I get there and there's still dew there are a LOT of ball lines, and most of them didn't go in, so they're pretty easy to ignore.

Last edited:
So I don't have picture from the first hole where looking at one got me. I was 6' away left to right and someone's second putt I think was nearly directly on my line and obviously went in. I followed it, and missed.

On this hole there was a bunch going on. Not surprising. I was below the hole, and everything was playing almost a club longer in the heavy air and rain. These are the lines I could see from my vantage. Someone had landed left fringe directly behind me I think and came nowhere near and tried again or something, and then tried to fail worse? I don't know. Maybe went back to fringe to the right and tried again, or someone else. Really hard to say. There were footprints everywhere, and a repaired ball mark short right of my ball. I was nearly in mine, which was a common theme for me that day. I plugged 2.

So I basically ignored all the lines because I know this putt, rolled on the gold, and made it. So here's the question. If you're the next guy, and you're short in that same area, which is likely, do you follow my line or base your read off of it? You have no idea if I spun the crap out of it, chipped it from the fringe with more initial velocity, rammed it in the hole on the putt, died it at the hole, etc. Right? So how much can you take from it?

We have a ton of dew here, but I don't typically play early, so this isn't something I've really thought much about until now. When I get there and there's still dew there are a LOT of ball lines, and most of them didn't go in, so they're pretty easy to ignore.

Lmao, that's ridiculous. I'll usually use the dew lines to confirm if it is breaking left or right on a straightish putt, but usually don't put a lot of stock into how much it is breaking.

Lmao, that's ridiculous. I'll usually use the dew lines to confirm if it is breaking left or right on a straightish putt, but usually don't put a lot of stock into how much it is breaking.
So minimal information then.

If in same vicinity of green, watching the putt helps me tremendously. Speed, how high/low they started the putt. I dont stare it down by any means but nice to get a preview.

I often watch other putts to help me tune my eyes to the terrain of the green. It does help me when I pay attention. Unfortunately there are plenty of times where I'm still locked in my head thinking about a previous shot and don't join the moment to watch and learn from other putts.

If someone else is near me and away I definitely watch their putt. You obviously can't just copy it but you usually get a good idea on the break.

So yesterday we played in the rain and on some holes there were noticeable ball tracks/paths on the greens from the people ahead of us. I'm here at home nursing a sore back and editing videos and I noticed one where there was a whole bunch of activity from a similar place as where I was, that I kind of ignored, and dropped the putt. I'm realizing I only ignored it because I'd been in that position before and knew what it would do. On others, especially early on, I paid more attention to what previous putts had obviously done, and it kind of misinformed me once. First hole I missed from 6' because I was going off a fresh line. I gradually paid less attention as the round went on, and it served me well. My partner didn't and it kind of had him messed up all day. We talked about it on course a bit.

There was a older guy and younger guy right ahead of us, and I think the younger one was getting an on course lesson or something. Or practicing after holing out. I don't know, but it has me wondering how much you all take from watching someone else's putt? I think I mostly use it when I'm unsure, and I think again, that I try to ignore just about all of it if the person behind me puts a crap stroke on the putt. Take minimal information on speed or something and that's it.

What about you guys?

Depends on how good the golfer/putter is. If I know he's a decent or better player, I will use his putt as a reference point. If not, I may entirely disregard.

*Maybe it's just me, but I play with some really poor putters

I will take read from someone else's putt if they are on my line, but I will not rely on it

If the track in the dew don't go to the hole, I don't pay it no mind.

I will watch people's putts roll if they have a similar line to me or from the opposite side of the hole. Not so much to judge speed, but to see where they start it and what it does.

only to re-affirm what I'm seeing. if the ball goes where i expect it to then its up to me to hit the right line.

View attachment 8965104

So I don't have picture from the first hole where looking at one got me. I was 6' away left to right and someone's second putt I think was nearly directly on my line and obviously went in. I followed it, and missed.

You had a hard time in Kindergarten didn't you? :p

Seriously though, it is hard to judge their dew lines because you don't now how hard to hit it, plus its hard to tell the grain of the green in this pic.

Back