how much does elevation affect your yardages?

azfarrier

Average Hack
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm going to be in Albuquerque the next ten days and hope to get a few rounds of golf in. My question is I live in the Phoenix area at an elevation of 1200 feet. I'll be playing courses in Albuquerque that range in elevation from 5000-7000 feet. How much extra yardage per club should I adjust for?

How far do you you hit your clubs now? My low elevation 9 iron goes 145-155 yards and at my elevation (6k) the 9 iron goes 155-165. My driver can be up to 30 yards longer but I think it is more of a percentage than a flat number increase. Quick math says about 10% more distance.

I went from living in Columbia, South Carolina playing golf every weekend, to playing golf in Sierra Vista, AZ (elevation 4700') and noticed about 8-12 yards difference, so darn near a club. That's a mix of elevation and humidity changes. I don't think it gets notable drier between Arizona and New Mexico, so I can't say for certain, but I would say the 3000+ foot elevation change between Phoenix and Albuquerque would be somewhere between half a club and a full club.

Its between 1/2 to 1 1/2 clubs.

Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate it.

I'm going to be in Albuquerque the next ten days and hope to get a few rounds of golf in. My question is I live in the Phoenix area at an elevation of 1200 feet. I'll be playing courses in Albuquerque that range in elevation from 5000-7000 feet. How much extra yardage per club should I adjust for?

When I lived in Phoenix and played in Flagstaff, it was a straight 10% difference for me (i.e. 150-yards would be 135). Flagstaff is about 7000' where most of the courses are I think.

When I lived in Phoenix and played in Flagstaff, it was a straight 10% difference for me...

Same here. I live/play in Denver (5,280), but also play in Florida a lot. It's a 10% difference for me, too.

Same here. I live/play in Denver (5,280), but also play in Florida a lot. It's a 10% difference for me, too.

I now play in Houston, and I used to play in Orlando. Humidity is also a factor, especially when going to either of those places from a dry climate. I'd say it's a 5% difference between Houston (sea level and VERY humid) and Phoenix at 1000' and dry.

Back