How much does noise bother you when playing?

redneckwop

3G - God - golf - guns
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
CO high
regular, background noise (i.e. carts, music, talking) don't bother me but if someone's phone suddenly goes off or someone just blurts something out, it kinda gets me...but i swing anyway. cause i ain't never scared...as i watch a slice or a hook :rolleyes::LOL:
I'm right there with you.

WMac19

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Unexpected noises have the tendency to make me lose a bit of concentration - like someone yelling, or a car horn/loud noise in my back swing.

Casual talking, or other noises that I am aware of don't bother me at all.
Same here.

CobraX51

F-ck Yeah Baby!
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I’m in the camp that consistent noise doesn’t bother me, but sudden noise would throw me off during a swing
Yeah if you're mid conversation when I'm at address with a buddy, don't all of a sudden dip to silence.

Leave the music on.

But yes. A sudden Police Siren, or a loud bird/flock of birds, will throw me off.

Drumdog

Drummin' for golf
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.5
An unexpected noise mid-swing will bother me, but constant noise does not.

pattyboy21

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Noise doesn't bother me at all generally. Sometimes I'll have a playing partner apologize for making a noise in my swing, but I will not have even heard nor payed attention to it. A couple of months ago, I did have a big German Shephard bark just as I was transitioning into my downswing -that made me flinch. But day in and day out, noise is no big deal for me.

jdtox

Team Paradise Captain
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Background noise doesn't bother me at all, its usually loud sudden noises that make things go bad

BlueHen2006

Team THP #Grandaddy2018
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A constant noise doesn’t bother me but I’d prefer it being quiet if given the choice. Now if someone is always talking while I hit, it makes me think you are ok with me talking while you hit too, and I can be louder. ;)

Scorpion12

B + <-- Be Positive. UP! Not down. Nice not mean.
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I've played golf with fighter jets flying overhead, cargo aircraft taking off and landing, and retreat signaling. Noise isn't much of an issue to me.:)

millsan1

Strike Hard. Strike Fast. Hit long. CobraKai
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Almost not at all. Outside a sudden loud noise, it doesn't affect me. You can talk, walk, burp and fart while I'm stroking the ball.

mig

Reaction score
With some friends I used to play with, silence was much worse. $hit was about to go down, with me as the butt of it, if it got too quiet. Step away and appraise....

Phil75070

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 4.5
I'm somewhere in the middle. I've played with guys who are way more sensitive not only to noise but any movement around them. I'm not totally immune to being bothered, especially unexpected noise or someone starting a conversation in my backswing.

Jaw2000

Reaction score
I don't mind people talking while I'm hitting, but if someone yells fore on my backswing, I'm probably sunk. Just watching the pros backing off putts at the Genesis just from the sound of people driving off a nearby teebox and was wondering how quiet it has to be for you guys to keep your concentration.
I'm deaf, but wear hearing aids. My biggest issue is wind, that can be very loud. Most talk is a non issue, I do miss ambient noise. And rarely hear FORE! Missed getting nailed in the neck once by just a few inches scoring to a playing partner.

ddstanford

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm somewhere in the middle. I've played with guys who are way more sensitive not only to noise but any movement around them. I'm not totally immune to being bothered, especially unexpected noise or someone starting a conversation in my backswing.
I've played with guys who would give you the evil eye and not talk to you the rest of the round if you made the slightest peep. I see most here are used to a bit of background noise.

Nerdy_81

Wandering aimlessly
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I prefer noise. Really enjoy having some music going to help keep things loose.

A sudden noise is a completely different story though

mulegolf

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Noise doesn't seem to bother me. Well, if someone were to shoot a gun as I was in my swing it may bother me but normal noise, nope. What does seem to bother me is a visual disturbance, like someone tossing an old tee that is in my field of vision. It seems like my attention is dragged away from the ball to whatever it was that caught my eye. I have a playing partner, however, that any type of noise (such a someone whispering) completely invades his concentration.

jvbart

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm ok with some background noise as long as it's not people on my tee box talking or loud sudden noises. I can block out conversations on neighboring greens and tee boxes but if it's my playing partners my mind will tend to drift and screw me up.

Reaction score
Handicap
It's less about noise for me; more about what the noise might be.

Chatter, background noise, etc, doesn't really matter.

"Keep your head down" or "Don't hit it in the lake" - I'm backing off and resetting.

Maric

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Background noises don't bother me unless I'm putting. Loud music is annoying but it doesn't interrupt my swing. Sudden noises will definitely make me screw up a shot.

Gman79

Enjoying the adventure we call golf
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
not a big deal. maybe air horns like the JACK*** movies would bother me but talking, music, cell phone... not going to mess with me.

YukonLiving

Captain of Tundra
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Background noise doesn't bother me at all. I'm used to playing other sports in closed arenas with yelling, cheering and all sorts of sound making devices. That said, an explosion or something similar is likely to make me take pause. Need to be aware of surroundings still!

Junkyard

A Work in Progress
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
i really hate when my playing partner says......"show me the way" insane, right?
Just point at the fairway and say "out there somewhere" :p

GoldenBuff

Energetic funhog, happy nerd
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
6-8
If I am playing well, that means I am focused. Not much at all bothers me. If I am not playing well, that typically means I am distracted and every micro noise hits me like a freight train.

ArmyGolf

#Rise&Grind
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 9.3
Doesn't bother me at all. Growing up with my old man you couldn't let a little noise throw you off...lets just say his situational awareness is a bit lacking.

I can pretty much swing through anything, unless you make me laugh.

RayG

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Oh- almost forgot. I never mentioned playing at The Silver Dollar Golf and Trap Club near my parents place in FL. Never knew when a barrage of gunshots would go off. Trap range used to be next to the 10th fairway. They moved it across the street but was then next to the 17th hole. You got used to that pretty quick.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in