How much does noise bother you when playing?

Only bothers me if I knacker the shot. Then I blame it on the noise.

Not at all. I think this is one of the most overrated things people focus on. I see guys that swear it makes them flinch or mess up, but low and behold they hit just fine on the range where everyone is talking, hitting shots next to you, like...the range is not a quiet place? And then on top of it if you go to a place like top golf or x golf it's nothing but noise. I think this is just one of those things that people think messes them up, but I think it actually makes more sense to keep natural noise in an environment vs. making it dead silent so you aren't caught off guard with a sound.

Question:
Can someone get tooo anal about noises when they are teeing off?
Indeed they can, I know guys who are completely uptight about the slightest sound.

General noise is okay as long as it isn't too loud, it is the sudden noise that can bother me

Encountered a guy playing music at the driving range today. That's a first. And I was not a fan. That's what earphones are for.

I don't mind people talking while I'm hitting, but if someone yells fore on my backswing, I'm probably sunk. Just watching the pros backing off putts at the Genesis just from the sound of people driving off a nearby teebox and was wondering how quiet it has to be for you guys to keep your concentration.
It doesnt bother me at all. When Im in the middle of my swing you can talk, you can yell, you can shoot a gun off, heck, you could lay on an air horn and I wont notice. When its time to hit a shot, its kind of like everything else just falls away and its just me, the ball, the course and the shot that I need to hit. I guess its a zen thing. 🤷‍♂️

If its noise that is expected or constant, like music or even consistent cars going by, then it's no issue. But the random screams or yells from people, or a random car honking, make me take an extra couple seconds to re focus. That said, I tend to tune out most stuff when I'm getting ready for a shot anyways

Yep, I could swing through a heavy metal concert. It’s that abrupt peep near the top of my swing that turns my legs to wet noodles.

Spieth blaming the camera in his backswing after hitting a poor iron there. Not sure that’s enough noise to affect me.

The silence professional golfers get still makes me chuckle. I just imagine Marshall’s trying to silence a football stadium on a fg attempt, a stadium on a soccer penalty kick, everyone in the crowd everytime a batter approaches the plate, all free throws in basketball, I still find it so so odd as a newer golfer but life long athlete/sports fanatic.

My work and 3 or 4 of the courses I play are right in the flight path for the local airport and NG refueler wing. I get a hoot out of guys that have to wait until the planes land to hit. Doesn't faze me in the least.

Back