How much does noise bother you when playing?

ddstanford

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I don't mind people talking while I'm hitting, but if someone yells fore on my backswing, I'm probably sunk. Just watching the pros backing off putts at the Genesis just from the sound of people driving off a nearby teebox and was wondering how quiet it has to be for you guys to keep your concentration.

I like to use it as an excuse when I hit a bad shot, but it really doesn’t bother me that much. A sudden noise in the middle of my swing can be distracting, but steady noise (talking, music, equipment running, carts driving, etc.) are no big deal.

Noise doesn't bother me that much. My father when I was growing up would talk, rattle his pocket, & make as much noise as possible. So I'm pretty much used to it. :eek:

I have only been distracted twice by noise that I can remember. One was a guy screeching the brakes on his cart and slamming into the other cart in his group and the other was a guy on a neighboring tee box who topped his drive into the hazard and was shouting at his cartner to throw him a Top Flite. For the most part everything kind of disappears when I address the ball.

All or nothing. If it's quiet already, it's best to stay that way. Sudden changes aren't great. Same with movement. You're either on the move or not. I don't care, just pick one. If you can't, and I know to expect that you're an idiot, that's probably fine for a bit too. It will wear though.

Noise doesn't bother me that much. My father when I was growing up would talk, rattle his pocket, & make as much noise as possible. So I'm pretty much used to it. :eek:
I’ve always thought that if I was a serious competitive golfer, I’d want to practice in environments where I had people screwing with me - talking, blasting music, making noise, rolling balls past me, popping the brake on the cart, etc. Practice in environments like that and maybe it wouldn’t bother you as much in tournaments when it counts.

regular, background noise (i.e. carts, music, talking) don't bother me but if someone's phone suddenly goes off or someone just blurts something out, it kinda gets me...but i swing anyway. cause i ain't never scared...as i watch a slice or a hook :rolleyes::LOL:

My dad never stops talking the entire round, so I am very use to it. Total silence would be odd to me

All or nothing. If it's quiet already, it's best to stay that way. Sudden changes aren't great. Same with movement. You're either on the move or not. I don't care, just pick one. If you can't, and I know to expect that you're an idiot, that's fine too.
This ☝

Expected background noises are ok. I don’t mind those. It’s the sudden, unexpected noises that could bother me.

I amended it slightly, because I remembered the last time I played with someone like that. :LOL:
Agree 100%, also then don’t want them to tell me to hit another because it’s “their bad” always just irritated beyond belief.

Agree 100%, also then don’t want them to tell me to hit another because it’s “their bad” always just irritated beyond belief.
The worst.

Good response: Sure. Stand right there. 👆

My dad never stops talking the entire round, so I am very use to it. Total silence would be odd to me
A friend of a friend occasionally plays with us - nicest guy in the world, but he starts talking on the driving range before the round and doesn’t stop talking until he closes his car door to drive out afterward. He’ll occasionally stop talking during his swing, but that’s not even a guarantee. I love the guy, but man, he just freaking wears me out.

Not too much, I used to play with my daughter quite a bit, you get used to the random noises in your backswing.

If it is a constant noise, Contruction, traffic something like that, no. But a sudden unexpected noice out a change in the static noise, does. And keep your music in your earbuds, not on a speaker

The only type of noise that bothers me is sudden and unexpected ones. Other than that, talking, music, etc. does not bother me a bit.

I’m in the camp that consistent noise doesn’t bother me, but sudden noise would throw me off during a swing

A friend of a friend occasionally plays with us - nicest guy in the world, but he starts talking on the driving range before the round and doesn’t stop talking until he closes his car door to drive out afterward. He’ll occasionally stop talking during his swing, but that’s not even a guarantee. I love the guy, but man, he just freaking wears me out.
Plus my dad loves making fun after bad shots...it can wear on you. Still great playing with my dad.

Back