How much does noise bother you when playing?

My buddy on the other hand... Any and all type of noise bothers him. Sometime I make noise just to mess with his head. :LOL:

All or nothing. If it's quiet already, it's best to stay that way. Sudden changes aren't great. Same with movement. You're either on the move or not. I don't care, just pick one.

When I joined my current group we had one half of twin brothers in the group. Barry would never stop moving or talking while on the putting green. Sure it was annoying but once you got used to it you could tune him out. Fast forward a couple of years, Barry passed but his twin Bruce joined us in his place. Well he does the exact same things Barry did:rolleyes:. He's not going to change - so my only hope is that he keeps going once he starts. Constant is easy to deal with. It's the sudden change that throws me off.

It doesn't happen often playing only the weekends, but occasionally on a holiday the mowers will be out while we're playing. If I know the mower is coming down the fairway and is likely to stop and kick down to idle, I try to hit quickly before they stop. I know it's what they're trained to do, but if I could have a sign I would tell them just to keep cutting as the constant engine noise won't bother me.

As long as the noise is constant, it's not that big of a deal to me (unless it's country music. Keep that sh*t at home). Sudden noise in my backswing is a deal breaker, though.

Unexpected noises have the tendency to make me lose a bit of concentration - like someone yelling, or a car horn/loud noise in my back swing.

Casual talking, or other noises that I am aware of don't bother me at all.
This exactly. Don't drive by and yell FORE in my backswing. The usual golf noises don't bother me at all.

I know some don't like music, but honestly it helps drown some of that stuff out IMO. It makes the casual round chat easier for everyone without walking on eggshells the whole round.

i really hate when my playing partner says......"show me the way" insane, right?

I don't mind it honestly.

Noise is fine. Sudden sound can be a problem. Last two years I have spent more time on the course with my kids. I get super vigilant about what's going on. So if I hear an unexpected sound, I get worried that it's the cart falling on my kid, even if it's just a car alarm.

TBH, once I'm getting ready to play a shot I'm usually not even listening to anything going on around me. I have to work too hard just to quiet all the panicked heretics inside my own head trying to scream 'do this, don't do that, there's water left, don't choke this easy 3 footer', and a zillion other things.

Constant noise is fine. Unexpected, sudden noise during my swing unnerves me.

Growing up on less than stellar courses where decorum seemed to be a unknown entity, “quiet” was generally out of the question. Tees were close to greens, so there were always the whoops and shouts of a 10 footer for an eight or similar. Many holes bordered noisy roads, backyards of people with loud stereos, and at least 2 holes at 2 courses that were next to a schoolyard filled with screaming kids or teachers screaming AT the kids.
We also played our own version of “Rockem-Sockem” golf where noises, farts, flicked bottle caps, coins jangled, etc... were all part of the game. Only ’rule’ was no sneak attacks and screaming right up close. You might get creamed by a 3W or something. But you would find the day wasn’t filled with farts, coughs, and such- it was the THREAT of being bottle capped that was more of a distraction. If you were putting for birdie, you knew something was coming and try to put it out of your head. If however, you were going for a 6 or more, it would be dead quiet. Until that one guy farts really loud. Bedlam.
What this “no fans” policy has done for the tour is make these guys complain less about someone ELSE being responsible for their bad shot. At least one player over the years has repeatedly been caught blaming some guy for making a loud noise... AFTER they hit the ball. Can’t do that as much anymore. Although a few were right back at it at the WMO. Give them a reason to blame a deer fart 300 yards away, or a beer can opening in the restaurant, they’ll take it.

Doesn’t bother me at all. I have even talked during my swing time from time.

Oh it's pretty easy to tune you out :ROFLMAO:
I didn't find it that easy! You have much more practice!

I play with 1 earbud in Most of the time. so unless someone is yelling in the middle of my swing it usually doesn't bother me.

I have the attention span of a 6 week old puppy. I get distracted easily. If the noise is regular it isn’t a problem but if things change in the middle of my swing I am toast. Also if I know there is a car coming down a road for example all I can do is think about that. I have learned that though and I know to step away when I am thinking about something besides my swing.

Noise doesn’t actually bother me. But talking while someone/I’m hitting bothers me because it’s poor golf etiquette and shows a lack respect for the person hitting. So it’s not the noise itself. Couple weeks ago someone’s house alarm went off and blared super loud for about 3 holes. I scored 3 Pars including a lipped out birdie. Go figure.

Not much at all. I get so focused when I do things such as golf that the big and little things that go on around me go unnoticed. Others who I play with, who are more bothered by something mention or point them out.

Unexpected noises have the tendency to make me lose a bit of concentration - like someone yelling, or a car horn/loud noise in my back swing.

Casual talking, or other noises that I am aware of don't bother me at all.
This for me too. Music, usual noises are welcome, but sudden noises when Im in my backswing will mess me up.

Truth is, I don’t think the noise itself has any effect - it’s more me thinking ‘I wish that guy would shut up...’ that is the distraction :). And I know it’s lame to let a little noise get in my head, but... golf.

Noise that is constant usually doesn't bother golfers, like the 16th at Waste Management Open. All that noise and the golfers hit quality shots. Now if a loud noise happens out of nowhere while in a backswing it will usually cause some problems. It's not generally how much noise that bothers golfers, it's how and when it happens.

No sudden noises. Otherwise, noise doesn't really bother me

All or nothing. If it's quiet already, it's best to stay that way. Sudden changes aren't great. Same with movement. You're either on the move or not. I don't care, just pick one. If you can't, and I know to expect that you're an idiot, that's probably fine for a bit too. It will wear though.

Agree with this (y)

Back