How Much Does Water On The Course Effect You Play?

It really doesn't effect me. I try to figure out the best strategy on all holes to give me the best chance to make pars.

I think it used to play into my thoughts a lot more than it has lately. I’ve since tried to simplify my game and take the hazards out of play - take the scenic route if needed.
Some holes it’s unavoidable so I just play that I’m hitting to an area rather than to avoid a hazard.

It doesnt effect me much, really. I find that usually, water is put where it is to give you something to think about but unless you hit a bad shot, its really not even in play.
If I hit my target, the water shouldnt even really enter my mind.

Like the Matrix “there is no spoon...” on the course, there is no water.

If there’s a carry of more than 180-200 yards or so I’m toast and looking for the bailout on the side of the water or looking to take the long route. I can’t carry more than that. If the water is less than that, I’ve got shag balls in my bag. Use one of those and switch out on the other side.

Doesn't usually enter into my mind, but if it is a critical hole, I'll lean a lot more towards safe than hero.

Most of the time water doesn't really effect my play but there are situations and holes that mandate I layup or otherwise play away from it.

Try to not let it bother me, but sometimes it does. Carrying water on a tee shot or holes where I know I might get wet, I will pull out a water ball & most of the time I keep it in play. So as some of the others have said I need to not focus on the water but rather a good landing area for the ball.

Growing up in South Florida, and learning to play there, water was everywhere. I would never play with new balls, as I contributed a dozen a round. Eventually, I learned which places to play where I had a sporting chance (Not Doral) and stopped worrying about losing balls.

The water doesn't get into my head. I have as good a chance of slicing into the woods as I do into water.

Oh, from the post title I thought you were asking about how playing when the course is wet from rain affects my play. Now that I read your OP, here is my answer.

I hardly notice water on the course anymore. It wasn't always that way. I size it up this way.
  • When I was learning the game I didn't know where the ball was going to go swing to swing. That created a justifiable physical and emotional challenge
  • As length and accuracy increased the risk dropped precipitously and so did the physical and emotional challenge
Now I just note where the water is and pick a club and/or pick a direction that takes it out of play. That works on almost everything except an island green. For that situation, I pick a club and direction that gives the maximum margin to settle in on the green.

Oh, from the post title I thought you were asking about how playing when the course is wet from rain affects my play. Now that I read your OP, here is my answer.

I hardly notice water on the course anymore. It wasn't always that way. I size it up this way.
  • When I was learning the game I didn't know where the ball was going to go swing to swing. That created a justifiable physical and emotional challenge
  • As length and accuracy increased the risk dropped precipitously and so did the physical and emotional challenge
Now I just note where the water is and pick a club and/or pick a direction that takes it out of play. That works on almost everything except an island green. For that situation, I pick a club and direction that gives the maximum margin to settle in on the green.
I remember reading or seeing a pro one time and how he addressed water. He spoke as if he simply disregards any and all obstacles and focuses on the same shot no matter what. It is distance and target. I am amazed at how they can mentally remove this stuff, at least in part.

The first part of last year water kind of got me quite a bit, but mid to later year, I really learned how to not even focus on it. Yes, it was there, but I placed my attention on my yardage, the target, and the shot that I needed to hit. What a difference that made. The ponds get much less ball deposits from me now.

I try to play as if it isn't there. Occasionally mistakes happen. Many times water is in play laterally and then as forced carry next shot. I try to manage to the forced carry 2nd shot more than avoid the water first shot.

Absolutely, any forced carry on any shot has my attention.

Depends on the temperature. If it’s really hot out, I always drink plenty of water. Sometimes I treat myself and add ice. If I’m feeling a little frisky, I’ll sneak a kool aid packet in there from time to time. Watch out on those days!

Water doesn't generally get into my head when hitting a shot. However, there are a couple of holes where the setup with water lines out with typical misses for me. Those can give me momentary heartburn.

Back