How Much Importance Do You Place on the Look Of Your Clubs?

Scott F

I Putter Around
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I’ve noticed a lot of comments in different posts about how much somebody likes the look of this club or that. Did looks influence your decision to buy your current clubs? I consider clubs to be just tools for getting the job done and place little value on the aesthetics. Now when a new, radical design change happens like when Ping came out with the Eye clubs, or when the heads on drivers ballooned in size, it took me a while to come around, but other than that, I don’t pay much attention to what a club looks like. Even little dings and scratches don’t matter as long as they don’t affect the shots. What about you? How much do looks matter?

yes.

Yes for sure.
I don't want to see a really thick topline or a lot of offset on irons.

It's very important. Too much going on subconsciously for it to not be important IMO.

I don't really care that much about what the sole or cavity looks like but I need the club to set up square for me at address.

Y'know, I'd like to be able to say the looks of a tool don't affect my purchasing decision, and, after all, that's what clubs are, right? Tools used to move a ball. But I'd be lying if I said that. Hell, I haven't even played a round, yet, and I'm already half in lust with the Calloway MAVRIK driver half on appearance, alone
lol.gif
. Same with the Ben Hogan Player's combo set and the SeeMore Si3. Part of the reason I chose the grips I did for re-gripping my clubs was so they wouldn't look ugly on them. (They look quite smashing, too, I might add.)

Yes!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I want to say looks overall don’t matter but what’s most important is how it looks at address for me. The bottom of the club might help steer me towards trying it, but I want the numbers to be the main driving force in what I use. The only exception could be the putter as I feel mentally I want a putter that looks good overall too.

iron covers. enough said.
i like the looks of a good looking iron by my definition, but i also like to keep them clean and chatter free and ding free and blah blah blah...
i shouldnt care what others think about the iron covers and being judged, look i know their lame as F, i just feel like putting a little pride and value into my stuff i guess.

No question, the answer is yes. I need to like the way a club looks. If not, it's out of the bag.

Yes, looks count on my clubs.

I’ve noticed a lot of comments in different posts about how much somebody likes the look of this club or that. Did looks influence your decision to buy your current clubs? I consider clubs to be just tools for getting the job done and place little value on the aesthetics. Now when a new, radical design change happens like when Ping came out with the Eye clubs, or when the heads on drivers ballooned in size, it took me a while to come around, but other than that, I don’t pay much attention to what a club looks like. Even little dings and scratches don’t matter as long as they don’t affect the shots. What about you? How much do looks matter?

The hosel transition is about my only quirk when looking down at a iron clubhead. I used to love Ping's more consistent hosel transition in the Eye's, Eye 2's, and Zings.

The MacGregor M85 Tourney's a had a slight rake of the hosel to the back of the head that I loved when I played them. It gave a slight appearance of offset when there really wan't any.

Macgregor-MT-Colokrom-RegM85-Tour-Forged-vintage-golf-_1.jpg

Minor dings and scratching don't bother me at all.

None. I will play anything that works. That said, if I don’t like how it looks at address, it won’t work.

Looks are secondary to performance. Sure, various blades look awesome. But, they won't perform like I want since I don't have tour level swing speed. So, I look for irons that will help me play better. I'm not scared of offset like some of the guys in here. They definitely do not promote a hook like some claim.

You bet! I take pride in all of my "stuff/things". Golf clubs are no exception.

I place a lot of importance on it. We all do even if we don't think so. Some of us can't swing some brands even if they are awesome because they arent the right brand.

To some degree, yes. I have to feel comfortable standing over them at address, and don't want to hate how they look in the bag. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

It shouldn't matter in the sense that they are tools to be used for a purpose. But the reality is my eye is drawn to clubs that are aesthetically pleasing. But, I would say it doesn't sway me all that much I still focus on results.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

not really I won't by ugly clubs but for the most part there arent't any truly ugly ones. Right now I am rocking the black/red Fusion Driver, black/green Epic 3 wood and gray/Blue Mizuno hybrid and irons. Maybe my bag is the definition of UGLY.

Looks definitely matter to me. If I don't like what I am looking down at, my confidence just takes a little dip.

Secondary concern for me--- if all things are equal, performance/cost etc then I'll choose the one that looks better to my eye.

The looks of clubs matter. When I'm shopping for clubs I first decide which features I need. Then I start looking for clubs that have those features. Among the clubs that have the features I need, I pick the ones to purchase by how they look to me. I remember a quote attributed to famous golfer Ken Venturi. He said that he could build the perfect club for a person but if that person didn't like the looks of the club he would never hit it as well as he should be able to hit it. On the other hand if he picked a club that he liked the looks of but it wasn't quite as well suited to him as the first club mentioned, that he would hit it well and like the club for a long time. If you don't like the looks of a club you will never have full confidence in it.

Back