How much is too much?

Evok

Don't worry, Be happy!
Reaction score
Handicap
Ok guys so I've been thinking lately and after seeing Jman's testing of the switch grips for putters I thought, how much adjustability is too much? Let me start off by saying I very much enjoy adjustability. It gives me options and I simply love to tinker. I like to think it gives me plenty of opportunities to find something that works, but im realllllllllly guilty of constantly adjusting my equipment looking for something that works especially when Im not playing well. Sometimes I wonder if i didnt have the adjustments would I simply concentrate on my swing and practice more? I want to clarify this is absolutely NOT a knock against oems or anything like that, I was just curious if anyone has run into these problems of not keeping their hands off the adjustments or had thoughts like that. Do you like simple or more the merrier? Would love to hear your thoughts

Ok guys so I've been thinking lately and after seeing Jman's testing of the switch grips for putters I thought, how much adjustability is too much? Let me start off by saying I very much enjoy adjustability. It gives me options and I simply love to tinker. I like to think it gives me plenty of opportunities to find something that works, but im realllllllllly guilty of constantly adjusting my equipment looking for something that works especially when Im not playing well. Sometimes I wonder if i didnt have the adjustments would I simply concentrate on my swing and practice more? I want to clarify this is absolutely NOT a knock against oems or anything like that, I was just curious if anyone has run into these problems of not keeping their hands off the adjustments or had thoughts like that. Do you like simple or more the merrier? Would love to hear your thoughts

Most likely if you didn't have the adjustability, you'd be buying new clubs more often or completely resent the stuff you have the second it doesn't work. Being able to adjust it gives you the thought that maybe you just don't have it set correctly, meaning you'll mess with it a little after a bad round instead of buying a whole new club. I also think after tinkering for a while and finding a setting that you like, it makes you feel more accomplished with it and enjoy it more knowing you changed something about it that works for you.

But...I love to tinker. I think I've purchased at least 3 grips for every putter I have because I just like to switch things up.

Most likely if you didn't have the adjustability, you'd be buying new clubs more often or completely resent the stuff you have the second it doesn't work. Being able to adjust it gives you the thought that maybe you just don't have it set correctly, meaning you'll mess with it a little after a bad round instead of buying a whole new club. I also think after tinkering for a while and finding a setting that you like, it makes you feel more accomplished with it and enjoy it more knowing you changed something about it that works for you.

But...I love to tinker. I think I've purchased at least 3 grips for every putter I have because I just like to switch things up.
Yeah I think you bring a very good point, even if the adjustability was gone, nothing is stopping one from just buying something new hahaha. A budget limits that tho so it's less of a thought but still there. I just need to set it and forget it and know once the good results are gone, it's me and changing settings isn't the way to go

I only have 2 adjustable clubs, but I think that is enough for me to talk about this topic. While my hybrid only adjusts face angle, my Stage 2 is the standard loft as well. After initially tinkering with them after first getting them, and finding a setting I like, I haven't touched them. I've adjusted my Stage 2 one time after that, and that was just to lower the loft. Otherwise the only time I take the head off is to more easily clean it lol.

Granted I don't have a R1, R15, Big Bertha or any of those other drivers that involve more than just a remove clubhead, find the desired loft and re-attach. I might tinker far more with one of those type of clubs if I had them.

I think adjustability is good in the right hands. A tinkerer such as myself is not a good candidate for adjustability when ill do it too often

I don't have any adjustable clubs in my bag so I can't comment on how much it affects me, but personally I would say that adjustability is both good and bad to a degree

Good because it allows for fine tuning during the fitting of clubs to get the best out of it for someone, and as long as people understand the effects of changing the settings it can be useful to help adjust for different conditions

But on the other hand, I think it can be bad as people constantly change the settings to try and compensate for swing flaws rather than having them looked at

Until I actually add an adjustable club into my bag I cannot say for definite, but I would like to think that I would get the club fitted for me in the optimum settings and then never adjust them again

Before I got any adjustable clubs I was afraid I would constantly be tinkering with them but I found that is not the case for me. I've found a setting the works for me and never think about it. I have experimented with different shafts and shaft weights which is another form of tinkering. All in all I like having the option to fine tune them and it has been a good experience for me.

I was worried that I'd constantly tweak settings, but once I made the plunge last year (BioCell), I found that after maybe 20 minutes I locked it down and left it. I also leave the wrench at home, so if I'm tempted to mess around I need to actively seek it out.

I have seen people who cannot leave the things alone. I played with one fellow who brought out the wrench every hole. Consistency was not his hallmark.

One easy way to find out.

When I tried the Ping K15, I was turned off by it because it wasn't adjustable. To me it was if I was getting an inferior product. Once I put it into play, and continued to see positive results I decided to keep it in the bag. For me now, it's a benefit. It keeps me focused on my swing and gone are the thoughts of "Well, if I make this one last adjustment this club will perform better."

After my fitting I just set and forget. Sure, there's a month or so where I tinker just for fun, but I always end up back at the start.

For me the key is to get fit, then I KNOW what's best.

Good thoughts guys, I like to hear both sides of it. I guess I did overlook a huge factor and that's fitting. I've never been properly fit so maybe if i was and found something that works id leave it alone haha

Back