How Much Warmup Do You Do Before A Round Of Golf

fairwaynut

Bettinardi Aficionado
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
Just wondering how much time you spend warming up with the putter before you start you're round of golf on a given day?

Typically about 10 minutes at the range and less than that on the putting green.

I like to hit a few range balls, chip some, and then putt for about 10-15 minutes or so.

With the putter specifically? Usually 5 minutes or so

No more than 15-20 balls on the range. Few wedges, 8i, 5i & maybe a driver. Few putts then it’s off to the first tee.

With the putter I typically roll about 10 for distance and then take 15-20 putts from 3-6 feet from both uphill, downhill and side sloped rolls. Ive been playing early, so no chance to warm up with longer clubs. I do try and warm up with my Orange Whip in the parking lot before picking up the cart and also swing my three wedges in hand before pulling driver on the first hole.

Typically... its straight out on course for me. If I am lucky to have more time I might hit a dozen putts.

about 20 minutes preferred. Hit about 15 balls various clubs, roll a few putts to determine speed then roll putts for determining break.

I toss my Dunkin Donuts coffee cup in a trash receptacle and then I hit.
Not recommended, mind you, but that's the honest answer.

Two to five minutes depending on how much time I have or if my first few rolls are good I won't want to push it.

I'd rather take the time to stretch and move my arms/shoulders to loosen up.

I'd say my average is 5-10 putts. There are days where I putt for 10 mins and days where it's straight from the car to tee 1. Just depends if the course is backed up or not. If things are on time, I roll about 5 putts and go.

At my home course, stretch for about 2 minutes on the 1st tee then go. If playing another course, I will definitely spend at least 10 minutes on the putting green prior to going to the 1st tee.

Generally 10 minutes is enough for me. I just want to get the speed down, and hope the practice green speed is the same as the playing greens.

10 minutes is enough for me. Routine is always pretty similar. I bring 3 balls and putt 3 each from about 6', 12', & 20' focusing only on speed and consistency. I'm not happy unless the total dispersion (finishing distance) is 1-2' from furthermost to shortest ball. Then i'll do 2+ speed ladders which is setting one ball at each of those approximate distances and focusing on getting the putt 12" past the hole, never hit the same putt twice. I'm generally pretty good at starting the putt online so i usually focus on the speed.

Depends on how warm the weather is. Warmer days I don't usually hit any practice balls. Just do some stretching, and torso twists.

On colder days I will start off with some chips/pitches, and move on to 1/2 swing wedges. Then work my way up to full swings, to% what ever club I will be using on the first tee.

As for putting, I let the first two, or three holes I play tell me how the greens might be playing that day. I have rarely found the practice green to be representitive of the on course greens. Even the on course greens will change a little during the round. That, and I have already had few putting practice strokes. with the practice chips. My chipping, and putting strokes are basically the same.

Typically... its straight out on course for me. If I am lucky to have more time I might hit a dozen putts.

Real men don't warm up. Just right from the car to the first tee!:devilish:

It's usually that during league nights, unfortunately.

When I have time, for putting, maybe 15-20 balls to get a feel for distance with my normal stroke.
I like to hit a few balls on the range to loosen up, and love to spend 10 minutes chipping/pitching if there's a spot for it. If I can't do any range stuff, I always swing my Orange Whip to loosen up & get a feel for tempo on the first tee.

It really varies for me. Sometimes a small bucket, and other times I just swing a bit on the tee and go. I really want to use the Orange whip more for warming up. My body feels best when I do that. I’ve been using it to warm up for my Speed Training workouts and it makes a big difference.

With just the putter? Usually about 5 putts, just to get the feel of the swing of the putter.

For the rest of the bag, I normally start by doing some stretching before leaving the house.
Then a little more stretching and warm up swings with no ball at the range.
Then a small to medium bucket starting by chips with the SW and then moving my way up the bag through the driver and then back to the SW for chipping the last 3 balls.

20-50 putts is what I prefer.

I start very close, do the clock drill from 3-8 ft if I can, then do a bunch of lag putts. Sounds like a lot, but if I do 50 shots, it is probably 15 minutes. If I do 20, it is less than 5.

Spend more time stretching and loosening up than anything else. Do like to hit some putts too.

That's what the first green is for. Right? :)

Back