How much would an extra inch of club length affect your putting?

How much would an extra inch of club length affect your putting?

• Quite a bit

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A little bit

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Not much

Votes: 18 54.5%

• Total voters
I put a one step shaft counter balanced in my machine putter. I’ve been using it for weeks on course and in the basement practice sessions. I made it 36” to increase the counter balanced feel.

remarkable is all i can say. I’m 6’2” so 45 has always been my norm.

Not much. My putters are highly tailored to me. They're changed from stock in a lot of very specific ways, but in the end it's a putter. It wouldn't make near as much difference as it would in a swing club or something else with bigger movement and more moving parts.

Longer - quite a bit.
Shorter - not as much.

I’m much more sensitive to longer clubs than shorter, as a general rule. I think that’s because of so many years playing hockey.

If you were given your exact same putter but the club length one inch longer how would it affect your putting?

I've just bought a putter off eBay to practice on my putting mat which is 34". My regular putter is 33". I'm wondering if my putting will be affected (not that my putting is much to shout about at the moment).

Depends on the fit and the weight of both heads. Assuming the same weight in both, a heavier putter head (an inch longer will make the head feel heavier) can affect your tempo because the putter head will feel heavier. A bit more difficult to start the swing. But if it's a problem, you just cut and regrip.

And then their is lie angle.

I play a 33 inch putter and during my years of travelling when I used to rent or borrow the odd set for an unplanned round it was always a given that I received the putter that was 34 or 35 inches long. I would just choke down little bit on it to get comfortable and really never had much of a problem. It wasn’t perfect but it was doable. Long-term though I’m more comfortable at my 33 inch length.

I tend to adjust my setup a little to compensate. choking down is another option.

Longer did not impact me nearly as much as shorter did. I putted thousands of balls last winter indoors and what I found out was every time I used a shorter putter my back and certain muscles would start hurting me during the longer sessions. I got locked in at 34 or 35 inches. I think it is 34, but I never realized that the shorter putter was affecting me until I putted a lot and could feel the effects.

I've putted at 34" for so long that I wouldn't know how to answer the question.
It's not that I putt so well that I shouldn't experiment.
I'm sure I have some 35 inchers laying about. Nothing longer than that, though.
I also have my late aunt's 33" Bullseye Flange somewhere, but that definitely is too short.

To be honest this is something that I've been pondering for the last few months. I started out with a 34" putter and cut it down at least an inch, such that when I grip it my upper hand is at/almost past the top of the grip. I'm now wondering if I should put an extension on it and see what happens.

I have zero consistency when it comes to my putting stance/setup: sometimes I'm almost square, other times I'm almost 45 degrees. Most of the time I'm hunched over, but sometimes I try to stand taller......

At the end of the day it's not much different than anything else - sometimes the ball goes in the hole, sometimes it doesn't

Back