How my golf Outside Scores/Handicap compare to my Indoor Simulator Scores/Handicap

We've got a gorgeous sim "country club" here, but the price is nearly that of a real club. Almost $4,000 to join and $400 a month in dues. They hype up the "social and connection" aspect of it, which of course is code for "this is mere pocket change for most of our members."

I probably play to a similar level on both if I'm honest. Whilst the sim gets you the perfect lie and no issues with rough, I have always struggled with hitting into a screen without an actual proper target to aim at which means I hit a lot more wayward shots on the sim.

I haven’t played many simulator rounds but depending on the simulator, putting and chipping can be way more difficult for me resulting in bogies and doubles at a much higher rate than I see with real golf. If I’m not familiar with the course/software my simulator index would be at least 5 shots worse than if I played a new golf course outdoors.

The key for me is the perfect lie every time. Like most I’m way better indoors. Also the dreaded topped ball after a good drive is basically non-existent. Plus virtual water is way less scary than real water

That seems more than fair. Less than I thought it would cost.

Yea, when I went down to demo the place, I never planned on joining - I thought it would be way too expensive (I was thinking somewhere in the $4-5k range).
But at $1,500 it made sense. I did the quick math in my head.
Here in Upstate NY our golf "offseason" is 6 months.
If I went just once a week for a couple of hours over those 6 months - the equivalent cost of the simulator time would be around $30 hour. Less expensive than the other simulators in our area and with the added benefit that this private simulator has by far the best graphics and data I've ever seen.
And unlike those other simulators, once your time is up you can keep playing as long as there's an open bay which often happens.
And of course, once I joined, I played more than once a week.
So the membership easily payed for itself.
It's also nice being able to store my clubs and shoes there and not having to lug them around.
All in all a great deal. I haven't been disappointed.

Back