How often do you change the shafts in your irons?

I will only change shafts if there is a definite improvement in feel, dispersion, or distance.

Hey, you're active on a golf forum, at the least you should be considering is to do some minor golf club maintenance and work.
Usually the beginners start with changing grips, then progress to changing steel shafts and then graphite shafts.
It's not difficult , unlike pulling shafts from persimmon heads with back hosel pin/screw and shaft tip screw , sole plate, face insert .........
Change the shafts with meaningful purpose, not just because there is a new shaft available , or new graphic on the golf shafts.......
I had changed iron shafts maybe 4 times with the dozen sets I have. The 4 times I changes the shafts were because of one time was post arm and elbow surgery, I wanted to try a graphite shaft. The other times were trying to see if a light weight shaft will make any difference to my golf game.
As for the driver shafts ? Changed it X times from the time with the fixed hosel to adapters......... I must say that I like the interchangeable hosel adapter, where no need to pull the shaft to change shaft. Adding an adapter is way easier than pulling the old shaft and installing the new one.

I had some failures with my first adapters I installed. Never had a failure with a head epoxied onto a head.

I like the idea of bonding the club directly to the shaft, but like the benefit of being able to alter face angle with the adapter.

I have never changed the shafts of any of my clubs. That is, unless one was damaged.

I have had a few.where the shaft became loose at the hosel. Even then I just cleaned, and reinstalled the old shaft back on the club head..

Grips yes, every 18 months, or as needed.

Never occurred to me that shafts might need to be changed out.

Never? Not even worth the clubs with interchangeable adapters nowadays?

No, I just buy new clubs. I’ve won shafts but have put them in driver heads that had no shaft in it that were either kicking around the house or that I bought on eBay.

(as far as I can remember anyways). I’ve had so many clubsso maybe never is not right but I know definitely not in my irons, woods, or wedges.

I had some failures with my first adapters I installed. Never had a failure with a head epoxied onto a head.

I like the idea of bonding the club directly to the shaft, but like the benefit of being able to alter face angle with the adapter.

Need to inspect the adapter when it is brand new. A lot of them have some kind of lubricant in the adapter to prevent rusting or that was the left over from milling the piece. Clean them out well even if it looks and feels grease free. Rough up the inner wall of the adapter just like you would with the traditional fixed hosel.
Dry fit never hurts since some of these after market adapters ( from the OEM or from the component market ) do not fit well, some are fitted loosely and some are tight.
Shorter insertion length does not help either, but clean the adapter well.

I like the hosel adapter not because of changing the face angle nor loft...... I like it because the ease of changing shafts. I had several heads sharing maybe a dozen shafts between them. No need to pull the shaft and wait for the epoxy to cure like the old days.

Need to inspect the adapter when it is brand new. A lot of them have some kind of lubricant in the adapter to prevent rusting or that was the left over from milling the piece. Clean them out well even if it looks and feels grease free. Rough up the inner wall of the adapter just like you would with the traditional fixed hosel.
Dry fit never hurts since some of these after market adapters ( from the OEM or from the component market ) do not fit well, some are fitted loosely and some are tight.
Shorter insertion length does not help either, but clean the adapter well.

I like the hosel adapter not because of changing the face angle nor loft...... I like it because the ease of changing shafts. I had several heads sharing maybe a dozen shafts between them. No need to pull the shaft and wait for the epoxy to cure like the old days.

I swap the shafts once in a while, but I'm fairly loyal once I find something that works. Being a hooker for so long, it made it difficult to find a club with a face angle that I wouldn't hook 2 fairways left. Since its physically impossible to alter the loft of the clubhead, I just enjoy that I can adjust the face angle. Now, with the latest swing change, I may not need that feature anymore.

why would you swap shafts when you can swap sets?! lol

Because the heads are good and you wanna keep them? Sorta like when I put new tires on my car.

Count me as another who's never swapped iron shafts. A change of shaft only comes from a change of iron set entirely.

No issue with it, of course. I've swapped many driver shafts but it's the simplicity of doing so for me. I wouldn't wanna pay anyone to swap iron shafts and I'm unwilling to invest in the tools and/or the time to do it myself.

I don't quite understand the concept. Yes, changing grips after a year of use, I understand, grips wear. Shafts don't get that kind of wear. I am more likely to wear out the head from my 100 rounds a year + practice, so I replace the whole club every 2-3 years.

Because the heads are good and you wanna keep them? Sorta like when I put new tires on my car.
you are missing the joke because you don't golf with greg19. do you have a friend you can't ask for a ride anywhere because aside from the driver's seat the car is full of clubs? Don't even think of riding in the trunk! And those clubs in the car are some of the extra sets!

I have never changed shafts in a set of irons until recently as I am trying XCaliber Pro Xs in a set of Srixons I have. These aren’t my primary irons though. Generally when I am interested I change out the irons.

I buy another set, get used to them, trade/sell my old set and then regret it a month later which starts the process again.

I swap the shafts once in a while, but I'm fairly loyal once I find something that works. Being a hooker for so long, it made it difficult to find a club with a face angle that I wouldn't hook 2 fairways left. Since its physically impossible to alter the loft of the clubhead, I just enjoy that I can adjust the face angle. Now, with the latest swing change, I may not need that feature anymore.

It's better to fix the golfer than band-aide over the issue with equipment fix. Most the hookers have a snappy wrist action shutting the club face at impact and/or combined with the active wrist action with the swing path.
Most of these issues would be fixed if the golfer is mindful / aware of what the club face is doing before , during, and after the impact. That second of time in motion will determine the ball flight.
Usually if the golfer can keep the wrist action and the effect of it inline with the intended target line ( or at least trying to do this in their mind ) can correct a lot of the unwanted ball flight.
The thought process should be how to get the face of the golf club to do what you want it to do instead of thinking of golf swing first to use the golf swing to achieve the desired result. Once a golfer started to use the correct thought process, he or she will be able to self correct most the issues facing a golfer.
Self aware, then implement the correct "cause" to change the "effect".

It's better to fix the golfer than band-aide over the issue with equipment fix. Most the hookers have a snappy wrist action shutting the club face at impact and/or combined with the active wrist action with the swing path.
Most of these issues would be fixed if the golfer is mindful / aware of what the club face is doing before , during, and after the impact. That second of time in motion will determine the ball flight.
Usually if the golfer can keep the wrist action and the effect of it inline with the intended target line ( or at least trying to do this in their mind ) can correct a lot of the unwanted ball flight.
The thought process should be how to get the face of the golf club to do what you want it to do instead of thinking of golf swing first to use the golf swing to achieve the desired result. Once a golfer started to use the correct thought process, he or she will be able to self correct most the issues facing a golfer.
Self aware, then implement the correct "cause" to change the "effect".

You just summed up the goal of my 3 month hiatus from golf this autumn/winter. December-February will be aimed at rebuilding my swing.

You just summed up the goal of my 3 month hiatus from golf this autumn/winter. December-February will be aimed at rebuilding my swing.

Good that you have time to "think" and reflect on your golf game instead of just hitting range balls, take lesson and hit some more golf balls. A lot of the golf greats had figured out their own golf game without help.
Take it to heart when Ben Hogan said to find your own game in the dirt. He really was giving out his secret of his golf game but no one believed it was that simple.

Back