How often do you need to practice/play per week to play your best?

orchard53

Reaction score
I'm playing once or twice a week, and practicing at the range/putting green/bunkers at least once a week. How often do you play and practice compared to the improvement in your score?
My current results seem to be I can't get all three working in a round (putting, short game, full shots).

oddly enough, my game, zero correlation between time spent practicing and improved scoring. Fact is at a 10 handi, there's always some part of my game that doesn't play nice with others

oddly enough, my game, zero correlation between time spent practicing and improved scoring. Fact is at a 10 handi, there's always some part of my game that doesn't play nice with others
Same for me, but I am a 16 handicap where there's always a couple parts of my game not playing nice together.

If I can play 3 days in a row, that 3rd day will be the best. Only thing I really practice is putting because I can do that in the house.

I have never been able to play my best, consistent golf if I don’t play at least 3 times a week.

My 7 day week includes 2-3 rounds of playing, and 2-3 days of practice. It's been like this for over a year.

All I'm trying to do is maintain the golf game I have.

I've had some lengthy breaks from the game, but have not noticed much of a drop off after those breaks.

Play once a week. Hit a small bucket of balls and practice short game at the course twice a week. Hit some into the net and chip a few at home most of the other days and I can usually play to my handicap.

When I was much younger, playing every day made a big difference. In the last few years I've noticed playing a lot didn't help improve my game at all.

To answer your topic header, I don’t know. But I hit range that includes putting and chipping green 3-4-5 times a week. A lot of times I enjoy the practice session more than playing.

Practicing my chipping and putting at least once a week is far better for me than banging balls at the range.
Ideally I would go to the practice green 2x a week even if its only for 30 min.

For me its probably playing or practising at least 3 times a week and I start to see a real improvement over just turning up at the weekend for a game.
However, if I go too much over that I will tire quite quickly and the game will deteriorate.

At least every 3 days, and there had to be some effort put in on rotation of skills being utilized. If I'm in a groove and hitting a lot of greens I need to go work some wedges at the range. If I'm mostly playing a layout that requires certain clubs on approach I'll need to hit the others a bit, etc. Rust is always waiting to creep in.

All the time? I haven't played/practiced much most of the winter between getting Covid (mild case but quarantined) and terrible weather. I played 9 holes for the first time in probably 2 months yesterday and ball striking was good, but short game was abysmal and the score reflected that.

I hate practicing golf...I'll go to the course with the intention of only hitting the range but I usually end up playing 9 holes. It's not the best as far as improving certain aspects of my game, but it's more enjoyable. As far as how often to play in order to feel like I'm hitting it my best is usually 3 times per week. I'll try to sneak out once during the week with my boys which is more for fun than keeping score and then weekend games.

When I get my new swing more ingrained, a couple of times during the week, for about 1.5 hr of full swing, short game and putting. And goal is to play twice a week.

I don't think practice necessarily corelates to playing my best, it's just to keep the swing in tact. Try and golf once a week and whatever I have that day, it is what it is.

Back when I was 18/19 I spent a summer playing 54 holes a day 4 times a week. Generally another round in the weekend with the old guys. I went from high 80’s to scratch inside of 4 months or so.

So ideally this for me. I’ll never be able to play that much again, but I think for me, at least 3 times a week on the course. Playing or practicing is ideal. I average less than once a week in season the past couple years (I still have a round from 2018 on my card).

But.... that’s going to change this season. My son has committed to golf and working towards getting a D1 Scholarship. So his commitment will motivate me as I want to keep up with him as long as possible. At least as far as having a chance to compete.

I feel like I played my best golf when I was going to the range consistently. I mean, everyday consistent. I use to go hit a small but at the range every day on my lunch break. Then I would golf on Weds and Sundays with hitting a bucket before playing most times. My iron striking was a lot better. I keep telling myself I need to get back in to doing that. So, I will try and tell my self that again this year when the weather in NW Ohio changes. (y):ROFLMAO:

I am still working to find my best. :cool:

My ball striking can stay fairly strong without much practice, but the touch and subtle aspects of the game need regular practice for me to play on the better end of my spectrum.

It's impossible for me to play more than twice a week unless I'm on vacation so 3x practice/week and usually one round is the best I can work with.

For me my sweet spot is three rounds a weeks, and practice on the other days in season (depending on what I need work on). I use my tour striker planemate almost every day, either to warm up, or to maintain body rotation on the days I don't hit balls (use in in my net in the backyard). I try to putt and chip everyday, get into the bunker 1-2 times a week as well as throw a few in the bunker when I am out playing 9 hole practice rounds with my HS team). I don't like to spend a lot of time hitting balls on the range unless I am working on changing or fixing something, otherwise I would rather go on the course to practice and hit multiple tee shot and approach shots for a few holes.

In the winter, I try to maintain by practicing 3 times a weeks and playing once. I continue to use my planemate as much as possible.

To play my best I need to practice 3+ days a week and play a few times a week as well. For some reason last spring I lost much of my desisre for long practice sessions so my best is not going to happen anymore. I still love to play, I just don't want to devote the time to practicing 10+ hours a week anymore to shave an extra stroke or two.

Under normal circumstances, I try to practice once a week at a range if I can't get out on the course

My WHS index is 7.4, so if I was able to practice/play more, I wonder how much lower it could potentially be?

i need to play everyday in order to maintain the low level of proficiency that i've become accustomed to...

2-3 days of playing and at least 2 practice sessions more heavily weighted to short game as long as my swing feels decent. I need to spend more time on the short game this year.

If I don't practice my short game specifically, that is the first to go, so once or 2X a week for that to keep me sharp.

No Practice -- just play and about 3-4 times a week.(y)

Back