How often do you replace your Irons?

I have been playing HB3 Hybrid irons for 11 years and do not see any big reasons to change. Still happy with the set. I play around with new grips quite often, which keeps things interesting.

I tend to chase the tech rabbit - maybe every 2-3 years I have a full bag reset? I know it’s terrible, but I really enjoy seeing and trying new clubs. It’s my primary vice...

nice try mrs mclovin

At this point, my wife just rolls her eyes and wrestles, the golf shaped bag in the door every month. No recriminations, no anger, it’s just become ”oh this again” acceptance.

Honesty compels me to mention it took quite a bit of couch surfing to get there; but patience and paying the bills won out in the end!

every year - which is why I have 15 sets in the garage - all good and all get a run as often as possible. And my Ping Eye-2 irons are still as good as the new gear despite being ancient tech.

Pretty interesting, so it actually sounds like I'm more trigger happy than most. That I didn't certainly expect lol.

When I was a junior golfer, I changed my iron quite often. If I remember correctly I went through about 8 sets of irons in 3 years until I found the set I liked and gamed them for a while.

Now I am older and wiser ( :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: ) I will try to keep them for a lot longer, my current irons, although new to me are still 4 years old in terms of technology

I will say though that wedges will be replaced every couple of years at most as the grooves need to be nice and sharp

5 years-ish, but I always make my own from components.

as many can probably attest - WAYYYYYY too often.

It seems to go in cycles for me, I get an itch and try a few different things then settle down for few months. The Honma's are doing very well so I will stay in the Honma brand for a while, i am going to try the TR20 V just to compare and I doubt they could be better for me than the TR20 P but I never say never.

In 42 years of regular play, I'm on my 6th set of irons, and if not for a couple of odd events, it would be 4.

I had a set of McGregor irons given to me by a rich, well connected friend who literally had a garage full of sets he had bought or been given. He'd played that set three times. I had those irons less than a year as all my clubs were stolen out of the locked trunk of my car parked in broad daylight on a well trafficked street and sidewalk.

A few years ago, I went to my first full bag fitting. It showed me that the best change I could make was to change out my irons. I was not expecting that. I'd been fitted for these irons by one of the top golf equipment suppliers, well respected for their irons. But these are your scoring clubs and the difference in dispersion patterns was undeniable. So I pulled the trigger on new irons.

Outside of that I replace my irons only about once every 10-15 years.

I will say though that wedges will be replaced every couple of years at most as the grooves need to be nice and sharp

Glad Mike brought up wedges. They are a special case for the reasons he gave.

If I had to give an analogy, I think of my irons more like my dog. They are my best friend. They don't change until there is no more life in them.

I've officially had six sets in 18 years of playing, although two of those don't really count. It takes me a while to adapt to new irons, so I only change when I feel there are real gains to be had. For me that typically means my swing has evolved to the point where continuing with the status quo is hindering my progress.

I started golfing about 13 years ago and bought a used set of tommy armour 845s. After about 5 years got burner 2.0's and then after 7 years I got fitted for srixon z585s last year. Expect to keep those for at least 5 years.

I went through a few sets while trying to find clubs that worked for me.

I doubt if I'll be buying any new clubs for several years now though, as my clubs are obviously not the limiting factor in my game.

(Cleveland smart sole SW, HL4 irons, HL4 4-hybrid, Srixon 3-hybrid, HL4 driver)

I replace my irons in that 8-10 year range. I don't replace them sooner mostly because of cost.

I couldn't begin to count how many iron sets I've gamed. I played components for the first 15 years or so that I played and I'd switch on a whim. Sometimes, I'd game 2 or 3 sets in one year. I'm on my 4th set now since 2017 (5th if you count the partial set of single length irons I tried for a few rounds). I'll likely be with these for a while. I'll probably reshaft them, but I like them alot.

Played my G20s from the day they came out until a few weeks ago.

I used to play the same set for years. Started with just a box set from a local sports shop and was fine with those until I upgraded to a set of Ping G25s which I had no real desire to change until I hit the Callaway Rogue Pros late last year and they smoked them. Then 2 months later I won a place on the MC, and part of the prize was a brand new set of Cobra Forged Tecs which are just the most incredible irons. So realistically I have had 3 sets of irons in the last year, but there is no chance of me changing out any time soon...

I’ve been golfing for about 5-6 years. Started with top flites to see if I’d stick with golf. After about a year I got a set of taylormade rsi’s. I had those for about 2 years and decided to move into a players iron since I became a pretty consistent ball striker. I ended up with the PSi’s. I was thinking of getting fit for new irons in the next 1-2 years but through warranty I have a new set of P760’s coming. Let’s not ask about drivers though.

Used to switch every season. Picked up my 714 AP2's back in 2015 and am just swapping them out this week for a 565/765 combo set. Don't plan on swapping those out for at least a few years after that.

Funny thread.

2017 - Callaway XR Irons
2018 - Callaway Epic Irons
2019/2020 - Callaway Apex CF19

Obviously The Grandaddy was the catalyst in getting the irons for the last 2 years but I don't plan on changing until the next line of Apex comes out.

2017 - Callaway XR Irons
2018 - Callaway Epic Irons
2019/2020 - Callaway Apex CF19
What do you do with the club's you are discarding, in a sense, do you sell them to Callaway pre-owned?

What do you do with the club's you are discarding, in a sense, do you sell them to Callaway pre-owned?
The XR irons I traded in at a local shop.

The Epic irons I shipped to Callaway after they delivered my Apex irons. Got the credit back within like a month? Pretty easy

I think my irons have celebrated their tenth birthday in my bag... got them on eBay way back when. They’re still the last thing in my bag I’m thinking about replacing.

Back