How often do you replace your Irons?

thewilderside

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm pretty amazed by the amount of turnover in irons amongst the members here so I'm curious, how often do you switch irons? I've been playing golf for 25 years, and am on my 4th set of irons. My first was a mixed bag of hand me downs. Then a member at the course I joined in CT gave me an extended set of Titleist DTR when I was 18. At 24 I got the itch for different irons so bought some used TM R7s and had them extended and bent. Then finally at 30 I bought the used TM Burner 2.0s I'm currently gaming. As you can see, it's not a big surprise that at 36 I'm itching for something different.

What's your iron story?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I haven't switched iron sets much in the past either. 5 sets in about 17 years. But I'm almost moving the other direction now. At least I'm more open to the possibility. I've really enjoyed trying new sets and different make-ups of those sets. Without the Morgan Cup, I don't think I would have ever tried Cobra (and Cobra Connect and Arccos). But this experience has opened my mind to trying new sets, taking them out for a spin, without thinking and worrying that it will hurt my game. It's been a great opportunity and experience that I wasn't sure I'd enjoy. I was wrong.

That being said, I've switched up wedges a lot. I buy new ones almost every year.

I have not switched but I want to. Nothing wrong with my Apex 19 but I want want want. While maybe common on the forum, maybe not so amongst the general public.

I hope to keep irons for at least five to seven years. The technology of drivers changes faster than irons. I change that out about every three years.

I'm pretty amazed by the amount of turnover in irons amongst the members here so I'm curious, how often do you switch irons? I've been playing golf for 25 years, and am on my 4th set of irons. My first was a mixed bag of hand me downs. Then a member at the course I joined in CT gave me an extended set of Titleist DTR when I was 18. At 24 I got the itch for different irons so bought some used TM R7s and had them extended and bent. Then finally at 30 I bought the used TM Burner 2.0s I'm currently gaming. As you can see, it's not a big surprise that at 36 I'm itching for something different.

What's your iron story?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My first 27 years? Never. MacGregor M85 ColoKrom wing backs Ping Zing's randomly in the winters when it was cold out.

My last 13? It seems that I change about every low tide.

I probably go through irons less than other pieces of equipment which I guess isn't really saying much. I probably go through a couple sets a season. Right now though I have absolutely zero desire to even try anything else.

I had my last set of irons for ten years. I've only had my current set for about five months, no telling how long they'll last. I usually wait to upgrade until I feel like I'm leaving some significant change/improvement on the table with my old ones.

nice try mrs mclovin

It varies depending on how well I hit the irons. Anywhere from 1 - 5 years.

Too often.

I think a lot of folks change because it is fun. If an adult has the cash for a hobby and it makes them happy then they should go for it. It costs a lot less than boats or motorcycles.

That said, I think it is generally counter productive towards the goal of playing good golf to change irons more than every couple years. I bought my current set in February. Last year I sold 2 sets, one bought in late 2017 (custom fitted, didn't work out) and the other late 2018 (wanted to try players irons). So, yeah I'm guilty. I've also suffered from changing too many times and with experience comes wisdom I guess.

Dave

I didn't start playing golf until I was in my 30s, and my first set was a mixed bag of used clubs. My first real set I had for about 25 years, but I had a couple of long layoffs during that time. Since starting up again I had a set of TM Burner 2.0s that I played for about 6 years, a set of Srixon Z355s that I played for almost 5 years, and I just got my current set this year, and hope to play them at least 5-years.

I generally like to change out every three years. I like to stay current, but it takes time to changes out a whole bag. Last year I was fitted for my One Length. Although I wasn’t as happy with the fitting, I do like the irons.

I haven't changed my irons in 11 years!
Madness considering how much golf I play but I really like them and they still seem to do as I wish.
That being said, I'm hoping to get a new set once the TM and Mizuno releases are out.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I missed over 20 years of fun golf equipment, so I want to try a lot. And I haven't found the perfect set yet, so I'll keep trying.

I've bought two sets in my life. Bought a set from of Cleveland TA5's used from someone at like 22 in college. Bought a new set of X2 hots about 5-6 years ago when they just became the old set of that line. Definitely have an itch. Replaced my whole bag during Covid except irons between a few hand me downs and a few purchases. Will look hard at irons this winter. Will probably go with a new prior gen or slightly used although the Hogans are calling me and I might look going new there. Depending on how I hit the Mizunos those or the 919 will be in play too. Also love the Clevenland UHXs.

Being pretty new to golf I'm still on my first set of irons. Wilson Prostaff HDX. They came in a complete starter golf set.

Whilst I would love to blame the "cheap" irons for my awful iron play, I think it best that I learn how to actually hit the things before I start looking at proper sets to suit my swing. I do look forward to that day though!

I love irons, but I finally bought a set I had been eyeing for over 2 years and I love them. Won't be changing for a while, but tell that to the 3 additional sets in my garage.

I picked up irons at second hand shops and ebay so I really did not know what I was doing. My second set off ebay was nice (wilson di7) and I have those as well as my first set. I got fitted though and picked up the Mavrik Max irons and they have been really good for me. I may reshaft my di7s later to experiment some.

I am thinking at some point I may be able to move to a mid-range iron, but don't know. I plan to have my irons for many years to come unless they simply get worn out. Courses around here can be kind of rough on irons due to some of the hard ground you encounter when it is dry and hot.

Every 10 years or so!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I haven't changed my irons in 11 years!
Madness considering how much golf I play but I really like them and they still seem to do as I wish.
That being said, I'm hoping to get a new set once the TM and Mizuno releases are out.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I don't think it is madness at all. Musclebacks don't change much.

Dave

I picked up irons at second hand shops and ebay so I really did not know what I was doing. My second set off ebay was nice (wilson di7) and I have those as well as my first set. I got fitted though and picked up the Mavrik Max irons and they have been really good for me. I may reshaft my di7s later to experiment some.

I am thinking at some point I may be able to move to a mid-range iron, but don't know. I plan to have my irons for many years to come unless they simply get worn out. Courses around here can be kind of rough on irons due to some of the hard ground you encounter when it is dry and hot.

My suggestion is as a 17 cap you are good enough to play basically whatever you want. If you get the ball airborne pretty much every iron shot then that isn't gong to really change with any iron design, just what happens once it is.

I think iron forgiveness tends to be overblown. You may seem some loss of dispersion with a less forgiving design and loss of distance will weaker lofts/thick faces.

Dave

Back