How often do you replace your wedges?

jfox789

2022 Budget Golf Champion & 2021 Dream Foursome!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
I got fitted today, and the rep recommended replacing your wedges every 75 rounds! I was shocked to hear that and was wondering what is normal?

I replace my wedges every year

More often than strictly required. Usually a set per year, but I only have 30-40 rounds a year. #newshiny

I know there are general recommendations, but I think it probably depends on how often someone uses them. Number of rounds is one thing, but pounding them on the range is it's own special kind of wear. I replaced a glide that had ... 75(?) mixed rounds and a few range sessions that was pretty smoked. That's the only one that was showing it in performance. The rest I seem to replace before they need it.

During my wedge fitting, I was told every 6 months if you play regularly. I’m sure if your a touring pro that can just pop into the tour truck and pick up a new wedge, that makes sense. When you’re paying $150 a wedge, every 6 months is a little too often for me.

Never!

#embracetherollout

I will be about once a year going forward. I play in excess of 100 rounds plus range and net time. I’m

I replace my lob wedge every year. The sand and gap vary depending on wear.

If probably say that if I were selling wedges, also

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
It’s not that they won’t work, but how well they work. It’s about knowing what to expect.

I replace my 50° wedge every year as this is the wedge I use the most for full, partial and around the green.
My 54° and 58° I replace every two years or as needed. These get used quite a bit but the 54 is the least used.

I got fitted today, and the rep recommended replacing your wedges every 75 rounds! I was shocked to hear that and was wondering what is normal?
He has other motive to make the statement like that.
You'd use the wedge for maybe 25-35 full swing per round. Let's use the medium number of 30 ( which I believe is more than I would use the wedge ).
30 x 75 = 2250 hits
I have forged wedges for more than 3 decades and the grooves are fine. Not as sharp as brand new but serviceable.
I seldom play on sandy condition, and always wipe clean of the face / grooves after each use.
Actually I dislike the wedges which spins way too much. like them to hop ( a couple times ) and stop. Sunning out is preferred if it's predictable.
The only time I would retire a wedge is when the face concave slightly due to usage.
Even the professionals whom gets free equipments whenever they deemed necessary will not change their wedges each season.

Even the professionals whom gets free equipments whenever they deemed necessary will not change their wedges each season. [/QUOTE said:
I believe they change them several times a season, some perhaps quarterly. Maybe even more often.

Some will, but most have the wedges for at least one full season and stay in the bag longer if they're successful with it.
They're like any other golfer, if not doing well with the equipment, must be the equipment's fault. On top of it, they get the new equipments for free ( withint reason ).

I’m almost ready to add my 3rd set of my 56 and 60, and replace my second 52* degree for this season. I practice and/ play a lot (almost daily practice and I hit almost half my practice shots with wedges, including 100 plus a week out of the sand). i usually replace the wedge when the milling wears down, the wedges usually still have life left, but I like the control you get from fresh grooves.

Some will, but most have the wedges for at least one full season and stay in the bag longer if they're successful with it.
They're like any other golfer, if not doing well with the equipment, must be the equipment's fault. On top of it, they get the new equipments for free ( withint reason ).
Many Tour pros have several sets (varied lofts, bounces and grinds)of wedges to begin with and change them weekly to suit the turf conditions they are playing in for the weeks. Tour pros will go about 8-10 weeks at most with the same set of wedges.

Probably every two years on average unless something comes out that I have to have.

I've never replaced often, but I've been very fortunate this year and gotten to play a ton. I'm probably 80+ rounds in this year and average 1 range day a week.

I'm planning on replacing/ re-gapping my 3 wedges sometime soon this fall. I haven't noticed a dramatic performance change. But I do remember my fresh wedges having a TON of bite. I'm interested in comparing them vs new wedges again.

I usually play them for two years or about 200 rounds. My are new this year so I have to wait until spring of 2022. Darn that's a long way away. Might have to sneak new ones in the bag next year.

After approx. 200 rounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He has other motive to make the statement like that.
You'd use the wedge for maybe 25-35 full swing per round. Let's use the medium number of 30 ( which I believe is more than I would use the wedge ).
30 x 75 = 2250 hits
30 full swings with a wedge per round? On a short course. I might take 5 full swings with ALL of my wedges combined. Maybe 5 or 10 chip shots maximum again spread out over a few different clubs which don't put much wear on a club face.

50 degree about every 3 years and 54 and 58 degree about every 2 years. Little to no range time. Only course play.

30 full swings with a wedge per round? On a short course. I might take 5 full swings with ALL of my wedges combined. Maybe 5 or 10 chip shots maximum again spread out over a few different clubs which don't put much wear on a club face.
It's all relative, depending on where your tee shots ended up. and how far can you muscle your wedge.

It's all relative, depending on where your tee shots ended up. and how far can you muscle your wedge.
There are still only 18 holes. Why would you be hitting 30 full shots with just one of your wedges?

Back