How Often Would You Use A Hybrid Around The Green for Chipping?

fairwaynut

Bettinardi Aficionado
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
It's not something I've done very often, but when I have I've gotten great results. Any of you THPers do this?

I don’t have a hybrid so, never. I’d rather use a specific club for that like one of the Cleveland smart sole 2’s that were just announced

I say once ever other round. The course I play most often shaves the grass tight around the greens, so can be beneficial over the putter sometimes.

Situationally dependent. It is a shot I make my kids work on.

Situationally dependent. It is a shot I make my kids work on.

It is a good shot to have in the bag when you need it. ;)

For me, it's a 4 wood and at my home course about once per round. We have a lot of elevated greens with very large, smooth, tightly mown aprons that work well with that type of shot. Most of my buddies use putter by I've been using and practicing that type of shot since high school.

Never done it. Probably only would if I had to roll it up alot of green

Don't have a hybrid, but I guess I could use a 5 wood. I would have to practice choking up on that club, though.

I use a 6 iron for the bump and runs. Done it since before hybrids were a thing.

I might use it a couple times a year. A lot of green to work with, sure. Big slope you have to get it up and a tight lie, I’ll ponder it. Short sided and in long rough? Newp

I use a 6 iron for the bump and runs. Done it since before hybrids were a thing.

I use a 7i under similar circumstances for bump and runs. :)

I have used it and a I do practice it. And as others have indicated it’s situational.

I have but not very often. I prefer to use and 8 iron in that situation.

I do it occasionally but wish I could more. The small greens at my home course do not lend themselves to many long bump and run type shots. Typically have pretty darn good results when I can use this shot.

I have now added a 23* hybrid to my bag and I think this would be much more amenable than a 19*. I will probably try bnb it some. We have a good spot to practice it at my home course, but the greens are mostly elevated and small so not a lot of good spots to use it. That said I play some local courses where it is definitely a shot I could use.

I need to practice it because my few on-the-fly experiments with it haven’t turned out well.

I laugh inside when someone in my group does this because the result is usually terrible.
You don’t want to play with me then, won’t be much laughing ;)

I've tried it a few times just messing around, but haven't practiced enough to actually rely on it.

I don't normally use a hybrid around the green, I prefer something with a shorter shaft like 7 or 8i. It is a good shot to have in certain circumstances. Last season I forgot my putter one round and played 3h as my putter all day. 32 putts if I recall, just about average for me

Used it a handful of times per season and always got decent results with that shot. I finally gave up the frustrating quest to find a hybrid that worked for me middle of last summer. Greenside versatility when the situation called for it was a big reason I didn't abandon hybrids sooner.

I've yet to find a situation where that felt like the best play. I don't travel with it a lot though, and with tighter lies more often I might actually consider it. I'm sort of with @GraniteRoost - in the situations where it might play, my instinct is to reach for something other than the 3rd longest club in my bag. Just personal preference on the tool used to create that flight and roll.

Back