How old when you started playing golf?

I'm not sure when I would say I started. Officially I started in my early 30's. Around the late 1980's. Played steady for a couple years. Then stopped playing till the early 2000's. Played off and on for the next ten years. Stopped until 3 years ago when I retired. That was when I started being more serious about it. I can spend more time with it now that I don't have the work obligations. I rarely practiced before I retired. Now I practice all the time.

Started playing in my mid 20s. Started taking it a bit more seriously in my early 30s.

I started in college. Maybe aged 19 or 20. My uncle was a member of a club on Boston's North Shore and would take me out as a kid. Most I would do is putt on the practice green and then have lunch. He tried to teach my golf before my freshman year of high school to try out for our abysmal golf team, but I was more interested in football. Friend asked me to play when I was in college, borrowed a set from one of my friends on the golf team (little did I know that I'd be playing with blades and a new TaylorMade driver circa 2007). I played and practiced off and on until three or four years ago when I began in earnest. My new job afforded me more time to golf and was located down the road from a decent driving range in Mass.

I was 24. My company had an annual golf trip where they took customers and a couple suppliers and they expanded the roster. I was told I had two months to get my game to where it wasn't "an embarrassment". That was mostly tongue in cheek. I got some 2nd hand clubs from my brother who had taken up the game a couple years earlier and began the most expensive hobby I can imagine. I was hooked after about 2 rounds and started practicing/playing every single day.

Compared to those who started playing by age 10, golf is much, much harder for anybody who started the game at age 15 or older. The later age one starts the game the harder it is , for sure, so those who took up golf at an adult age and have stuck with it are to be commended.
For the future health of the game, golf courses, golf equipment companies etc...it seems to be that the key to success is getting as many as possible youngsters to take lessons, practice at driving ranges, play par 3 courses etc.... I believe age 10 is an ideal age to start because at that age most boys and girls are big enough to grip a club , make a repeating swing, and strike reasonably good shots.

13 when I started

First time I ever played, I was about 27. The first time I played more than a few rounds in a year, I was about 40.

When I was 4 or 5, we lived on an orchard and I'd hit walnuts or pecans in the yard with a persimmon 3 wood. Didn't play any real golf until high school, and not regularly until I was 22.

22, in college. There was a nearby range that was 24 hours. We would go there around midnight with some brews. Eventually started playing on the course soon after.

First picked up a club around 21 years old or so and really got into learning the game about 5-6 years after that. How am I still this bad? 😅

My dad introduced it to me at 5 years old. I didnt really play my first nine until maybe 8-9.

2 years ago at the ripe age of 55.

I’m curious, how old were you when you started really playing the game?

13-14 and 44. (16 year hiatus form the game, hence the second start date)

First time I bought clubs or played at all was when I was 22 Bought a set of old Ping Eye 2 at a garage sale. I played 6-10 times a year with buddies through my 20s. Didn't touch a club until I was 40. Joined here the day I went to the range for the first time. Probably went to the course about a month or two later. So around a year and a half or so is how I view it. What I did in my 20s was not golfing. It was drinking beers with buddies a half a dozen times a year.

Last edited:
mid 20's for me. i always thought golf was a sissy sport when i was young...lol. wish i started playing it when i was a kid

30 years old. I am now the ripe age of 31.

Watched it TV since I was 10-11.
Started playing a lot at 19

I actually started playing twice. I started at around 28 and played for the better part of the 1990's with a group of great guys were were bigger golf nuts than I was. When they left the area I took a 20 or so year "hiatus" from the game until 2017. I've been playing regularly ever since. No group, just myself and occasionally one buddy who plays about 4 months out of the year.

I’m guessing I was about 9 ish. My grandfather started taking me out on a chip n putt course. Prior to that it was hacking about in a school field with old hickories he had

My grandfather started me at 13. I was hooked but young enough to have other interests as well. So, I guess I 'really' started playing in my early 20s.

Wedging around the yard at 6 or 7. 10 or so maybe when I started going out on course. By 12 or 13 it was a pretty constant thing and a lot of junior tournaments, then golf team, etc.

15 years old, with a set of hand me down rusted Wilson blades, a leather bag that must of survived the bombing of Berlin by the Allies along with a handful of balata balls that had more cuts and gashes than a prison knife fight. Had just one good shot that day. A high iron shot on a par 3 that rose beautifully in the air and dropped softly on the green. Went ahead and 4 putted for a double bogey that I was proud of. Been hooked like a crack addict since.

Back