How old when you started playing golf?

Was introduced and fell in love immediately at 12.

First set of clubs I ever hit were some wood shaft clubs I found at my grandpa's house. I was a kid. Summer of '97 just graduated H.S. and I was at the golf course nearly everyday with a friend. He wanted to learn so I tagged along. That's when I got my first set of clubs (Wilson from Kmart). Went to college and kinda forgot about golf. From '98 to 2018 I only played one or two rounds a year, if that. Winter of 2018 my boss sold me his old clubs for dirt cheap and I got excited about golf again. Starting spring 2019 I went to the driving range about 4 days a week throughout the entire summer to relearn how to play. First couple rounds in 2019 were brutal. I've been at it ever since.

Club in hand at 5.
Played organized golf at 10 with the local municipal youth tour.
Played probably 30 rounds a year from 10-18.
Started taking it more seriously at 18 after my baseball career ended (same sports season in Indiana).
Played consistently every week starting at 26, with a lull between 32-35 because life.
Back at it now with a vengeance at 36, hopefully for good.

First played when I was 16 or 17 but didn't actually start really playing (caring about the game) until I was 29.

Mid 30s then took a break from golf in 2009 thru 2016. Back to the game after early retirement. Then my buddy retired so now we play a lot. Even built our own sim.

61, now 75 and happy to still be able to play. Would be nice if I could play a little better but could be a lot worse.

For me its probably when I was 21

First attempt was 24-28 then 39-present (50).

I first swung clubs in middle school. I began taking the game seriously when I was 25.

I was lucky enough to break my thumb playing baseball when I was 12, which resulted in the end of my baseball days and the beginning of me taking golf seriously. It was the perfect excuse for me to quit baseball which I only played because some friends did. My dad was about a 10 index at the time, and he set up a few bicycle flags in the yard about 25 yards apart; and I practiced at home at least 5 days a week that first summer and got to the course maybe 15 times. The next summer I played about 50 rounds and doubled that the following summer. By the time I was a freshman, I was a low single-digit, and it's been a lifelong obsession since. :)

Last edited:
51 yr old -- I was a Volley Ball Player -- and whe n I hit the big 50 -- I could not jump as high so had to give it up. Golf was next option cuz I dont have to jump :ROFLMAO:

I like 25 or so.. maybe a couple years prior while in grad school but I think full heavy in into it around 25

It's been a fun ride ever since.

I'm jealous of those who started playing younger.. my dumb ass wanted to play football in high school and I have so many lingering injuries from that I fully regret it

23 when I started, 32 now. Haven’t gotten a whole lot better.

23 yo and sharing a house with the town's golf professional. I was his caddy in local pro tournaments before taking up the game myself. Something about the game must have clicked because I broke 80 within the first six months of playing in club competitions.

23 but just goofing off mostly at the local par 3 course. By 25, I was more of an actual golfer and taking it semi-seriously by then.

Started at 21 with plenty of lessons until I felt good enough, League played started at 23 and lasted just under twenty years.
Well had to step away with family, and work. Came back to the game full bore 8 years ago and loving every minute.

A freshman in High school.

A buddy talked me into it. I live in a small country school of 5 different towns and he was from a neighboring town. Funny thing was in the little town of 600 i grew up in, i knew no one that played the game. I was afraid to tell my dad i wanted to take golf as a sport, I was afraid he would think it wasn't a sport for real men. Lol. Shockingly he said it sounded like the best sport a HS kid could take.

My Dad, Mom, older brother and I all started in 1958 (thank you Arnold Palmer). I was 5. Dad just stopped playing last year at 95 sadly, poor vision.

I played a little bit as a kid. Once or twice a year with our dad. I bought my first set of clubs and started playing for real about 5 years ago in my early thirties. I would say I have played seriously for the last 2 years.

Yikes I was 17 first time out... Then 19 when I had clubs and 23 playing more than 5 times a year.

Played a couple times in my 20’s but did not take it up till I was 47 after a long career of softball.

Actually started @ 30 years old. Really started taking it seriously at 35.

I was 8 yes old. Remember it like it was yesterday

Back