How old when you started playing golf?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
I’m curious, how old were you when you started really playing the game?

• Staff
I myself was 25

I have always been around the game. 7 is probably when I really started playing.

16 or 17. i’m about to be 40.

Depending on what "really playing the game" means, anything from 7 to 22.

I started playing on a somewhat regular basis (at least twice a month) around the age of 20 to 21.

I played for the first time on a regulation course at 11 or 12.

Last edited:
That depends, first swung a club in our garden when I was about 5, then I was probably around 10-11 when I first started playing quite a bit with my dad, but then I stopped playing and didn't start playing again until my late 20's for a few years playing with friends from work before a restructure saw us all move locations and even jobs in some cases

If you are talking about when I took it more seriously, I would say it is about 8-9 years ago, but definitely more so in the last 4-5 years

Same time I joined THP. Had no clue where to start with clubs... 46. Wish it would have been a lot sooner!

Had been asked before to play in scrambles a few times with borrowed clubs. That was interesting.

Started at 11 and had my first membership at 11. Jr membership was $25 for the year.....but that was 1968.

I was 18 or 19 the first time I hit a golf ball. I didn’t start playing with any regularity until I was 27ish.

I had a group lesson about age 11-13. I played a few times over a couple of years. I liked it but didn't have friends who golfed or course access. Then no golf until a "work" round in my late 40's. My wife surprised me with a golf lesson on a HI trip in Jan 2015. Loved it. Took up golf as a passion-fueled activity formally at 52 51 (math!), which is in my mind when I started playing golf.

Last edited:
I started playing real golf on a course around 12-13. Never more than a hand full of times per year until college.

I started when I was around 12. My father took up the game then and I tagged along. He didn't take to it and quit after awhile but I kept on. That was 49 years ago.

Started when I was 15, then had a break of 3 years from the ages of 19-22, played off and on from 22-30 and now for the last 9 years have played very regularly.

I went out with buddies and played occasionally in high school. We were never serious. Played off and on through my 20s but really started caring and trying around 30.

14. Now 56.

I was 21. I was interested but it was one more expense I didn't want to ask my parents to foot, so I waited unril I got out on my own.

Right after college. About 23. Some buddies took me to the college campus course and I was hooked.

I was in 9th grade.

15 or 16 when my mates and I would go hack around a local to get rid of the hangover.
Started taking it seriously when in my early 20's and joined the local club, bought a real set of clubs (King Cobra) and first round out with them broke 100.

Started at 37...Great sport after softball...

I started swinging before I was old enough to play organized sports. Started getting out on the course around 8 or 9. Really tried to get better over the summer while I was in college. Started working and golf took a backseat until I turned 30 last year.

There was not a time in my life where I can actually recollect not having golf a part of it.

More casual stuff as a youth, but finally diving into it HARD around college.

Back