How Seriously Do You Take Your Iron Shaft Selection?

hahaha, what an emotional time for you.

You have no idea. I am tinkerer by nature, a Mechanical Engineer/Software Engineer by training, and I currently lead a data organization focused on large data management, analytics, AI & ML. I'm no Bryson, but sitting in a fitting session with me is an experience in itself. :)

You have no idea. I am tinkerer by nature, a Mechanical Engineer/Software Engineer by training, and I currently lead a data organization focused on management, analytics, AI & ML. I'm no Bryson, but sitting in a fitting session with me is an experience in itself. :)
Oh I fully get it... I'm in year 'don't have a clue' in my TourV commitment.

Excited to see if PX LS has the jam I need.

I don’t overthink it. I generally don’t buy straight off the rack, so I’ll go through a fitting, but if I was taking a punt on something, I’d focus most on the weight of the shaft.

To me, the shaft makes a huge difference in the contact, feel of the club and ball speed. I have three shafts that work great for me. I don’t think that I will ever own another set of irons that does not have one of those shafts (although the flex will need to change as I age, LOL).

While I appreciate the obvious tech advances in my Apex, I firmly believe in the shaft and head combo. With my elbows and wrists I definitely need graphite and need something that loads and kicks right. My fitter tried me in everything he had available. Ultimately I went with the MMTs on specs and recommendations. I read a few people in DG's liked their switch to the MMTs.

For drivers and woods, I know my specs and what generally will work. Much less picky. Have a Tensei White 2.0 TX coming to try soon.

On the 921 Hot Metals in my game I chose shafts I was fit into (the 2nd option, but it was negligible performance difference).

Previously I would always just game whatever they came with.

I think it is definitely something I will pay more attention to going forward. Hopefully more fittings on the horizon.

I usually stick in the Nippon 120S range since I was fit into those once. Something to help me get a little higher flight that feels good. I don't know enough about shafts to do anything otherwise.

To me, the shaft makes a huge difference in the contact, feel of the club and ball speed. I have three shafts that work great for me. I don’t think that I will ever own another set of irons that does not have one of those shafts (although the flex will need to change as I age, LOL).

its crazy how true this. I have settled on a shaft and may not change in my irons. First round out and I was like. “Oh, this is what solid contact feels like”.

Oh I fully get it... I'm in year 'don't have a clue' in my TourV commitment.

Excited to see if PX LS has the jam I need.
I am hopeful for you. If for no other reason than because..

You have no idea. I am tinkerer by nature, a Mechanical Engineer/Software Engineer by training, and I currently lead a data organization focused on large data management, analytics, AI & ML. I'm no Bryson, but sitting in a fitting session with me is an experience in itself. :)

I am sure my coach and fitter have earned their pay 10 times over from having to listen to my engineering level analysis as well, lol.

I'm more serious about it now than I was a few years ago. I was using DG S300s in my irons, but due to old age and back issues, I've switched to DG S105s. I probably should switch to a lighter higher launching regular flex shaft, but my ego and pride just won't allow it at this time.

Now, when it's comes to the driver, I've got some serious issues. An inconsistent swing and the ability to switch shafts so easily, has me on a never ending search for that elusive perfect shaft.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have only ever had 2 iron fittings, but I hit quite a few different shafts during them and both times I went with the Nippon shafts as there just seems to be something about them that works for me

In my mind due to a slow swing, I should be using a sr shaft and it hasn't worked out well.

Unless there are major differences I kinda go with the “If it feels good do it”

Does it say S on it? Yeah? Let's roll...

Although I LOVE my KBS tour V that are in my hogans...the AMT black in my titleist- meh.

A goal this year is to try graphite in the irons.

I'm just a shaft dummy is all. I don't know what I dont know.
Graphite is the way to go! @Cruskater uses MMT’s and loves them! I have Accra i70s and love them.

Over the last few sets of irons I have migrated from DG to KBS Shafts and from the Tour 110g to Tour V 110g and now $-Taper 120g. Have also tried the C-Taper 125g but found I lost some feel and they felt a bit boardy to me.

For wedges it has been the Tour V wedge shaft for a couple sets now.

I was recently fit for irons and we tried a lot of different shafts, both steel and graphite. For me, all the stuff about flex, kick point, spin, etc makes so little difference that unless you’re a supreme ball striker it’s not worth thinking about. What does matter is weight and feel, which is how we settled on the shafts I went with. Not ‘feel‘ in the traditional sense, but ‘feel’ as in ‘I like this one, it feels nice’.

That said, if I was getting new irons I’d still get fit, not because I’m looking at performance data, but because it gives me a chance to try some shafts I may not have tried before. I’ve tried enough that I have a couple preferences but you never know when you might find something better.

More than anything, the shaft needs to feel good and give me the performance I need. When I was fitted for irons, I wouldn't have thought Project X shafts would be the choice, but I loved the way they felt in the Mizuno irons and the performance overall was putting me in the right performance windows for launch, spin, and descent angle. The weight is the same as shafts I've used previously.

I have never really paid much attention to the iron shafts before, generally went with what came in them and that was that. However I went for a much lighter shaft on my last irons and they have made such a huge difference in every aspect of iron play that I'm converted - maybe even graphite next, who knows!

For my last fitting, I settled on the iron model first and then it was down to a few different iron shaft options. I probably spent more time scrutinizing over the shaft options. Ended up in KBS Tours, which based on feel, is my preference anyway.

I typically find an iron I like and fits what I can consistently hit and then stick with a couple of shafts - I've tried to like Recoil 95, but something about it - maybe balance point, I don't know, it performs but my eyes are drawn somewhere else.

I am trying Recoil SmacWraps 780 in an i59 for a smoother feel - maybe that's it.

I really like MMT 85 Tapers as I found them very precise, and the same with Accra 95 Constant Weight.

Have always used R flex.

My only issue is that as I approach over 81 speed in 7i, am I approaching the point of going to stiff flex.:oops::LOL:

I'd rather not re-shaft after re-shafting.:ROFLMAO:

Truthfully?

I’m already obsessing. I really want to get it right. I’ve got 2 sets of BB&F ferrules, looking to get on the shaft optimizer again. Then obtain shafts and get the work done.

today looking at something in the 80 gram area for some added speed.

Steel fibers
Smacwrap
Mmt

are the main contenders

when i did a quick shaft optimizer before, it said steel fibers 110 stiff…. No way that could be right, but it whetted my appetite to find out what is right!

Just as much as the iron clubheads. Iron shafts are so good now. They all really have different weight, flight and feel characteristics. Personally, there are several iron shafts that just don't work for me. The feel and flight characteristics don't gel with my swing.

Back