How soon before your preferred OEM has adjustable sleeves?

Bryndom

2023 Grandaddy X!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 15
With the advent of align grips (I’m a big fan of), an issue I have with most adapter sleeves are they require the entire shaft to rotate to a new setting. Callaway seems to have identified a sleeve that doesn’t require rotation for adjustability. Can we reasonably expect other OEMs to follow suit? How soon before we hit critical mainstream adoption?

With the advent of align grips (I’m a big fan of), an issue I have with most adapter sleeves are they require the entire shaft to rotate to a new setting. Callaway seems to have identified a sleeve that doesn’t require rotation for adjustability. Can we reasonably expect other OEMs to follow suit? How soon before we hit critical mainstream adoption?
I don’t believe they will since it would be a numbers game as far as those using ribbed or align grips then onto fitted to club vs not fitted club then onto research and manufacturing costs.

With the creation of grips like align, it is very nice with Callaway. I tried it for the first time with my Mavrik.

While it is a huge benefit of the Callaway system, I think that the companies seem to be content with what they have as most haven’t really changed in quite a while. I also think that some have more settings available and they may have to sacrifice some of them to accomplish the same style of adapter. Callaway has 8 between the two rings, I know Titleist has 16 and TM has 12, so it would take a lot of retooling to maintain that while adding the ability to keep the shaft from rotating.

it's not just Align, anything other than a 360° grip has an optimal alignment

I don't understand why the fixed-in-place bent hosel design still exists when there are superior designs

Titleist has had one for a while now. I agree other OEM's need to make this happen as well.

Titleist has had one for a while now. I agree other OEM's need to make this happen as well.
Titleist is a single cog system, so unless you stay at a specific number (1, 2, 3, or 4) the shaft will rotate and an align grip wouldn’t work. You could adjust the letter setting and be fine though (A, B, C, D). So if the grip is installed in the 1 position you’d have to stick with A1, B1, C1, or D1 to keep the alignment aid on the grip in place.

It requires a dual cog system to keep the shaft in the same alignment. I’m sure Callaway has the patent and you won’t see others come to market.

I would imagine that Callaway has some patents on their product and other OEMs are not wanting to revisit their adapters. In the end, they are most likely not concerned about golfers who prefer the logo/grip to be a certain way. Callaway does have that ability, but what they gain in having the OCD crowd being happy they lose in having a large adapter that requires changes when being used for their fairways. I really like how small Ping, Cobra and TM are.

Back