How soon is too soon to put up Christmas decorations?

NoShanks

Grandaddy 19 Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
With Halloween over, and Christmas around the corner, I saw on Facebook one of my friend had already put up their tree and start decorating for Christmaswhich I thought was absurd.

We generally wait till the weekend of thanksgiving to put anything up. But I feel a week before thanksgiving is acceptable.

what about you?

Any time after Thanksgiving is acceptable.

I put lights on the house this weekend since it was warmish out and the forecast didn't look good coming up. The rest of the house is the weekend after Thanksgiving.

I was about to create a thread about this yesterday. So many neighbors were putting up Christmas lights yesterday and my one neighbor put their tree up.
For me typically decorate the week before Thanksgiving as we hold dinner at our house with the family. I would prefer after Thanksgiving however I lose that fight over and over.

We usually put our tree up the weekend after Thanksgiving but might do it the day before this year. All the lights are on the house and I hung more outside lights on trees yesterday but they won't be turned on until the day after Thanksgiving. This year we are leaving for Florida for Christmas on the 21st so we'll likely take the tree down on the 20th and put another one up in Florida on the 22nd. :)

the earliest should be the weekend after Thanksgiving. My HOA has a 30day before a holiday rule.

After Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving is over - then Christmas can go up. If it were up to me decorations wouldn't go up until the week before Christmas....but thats why they call me scrooge. Haha. I love giving gifts to my kids and family - I hate the decorations.

Ok, one of my main rules in our office is, Christmas does not begin until after Thanksgiving. So, I am a big Scrooge as I don’t allow my employees to play Christmas music or put up decorations until after we open the Monday after Thanksgiving.

Love all the after Thanksgiving responses. Oh, the fun I get to have in the office tomorrow. They all call me Scrooge. THPers are the best. :rockon:

Two weeks before Christmas and we keep everything up until Jan 1.

Day after Thanksgiving is decorating and watch some football day. Only an idiot shops anymore.

Two weeks before Christmas and we keep everything up until Jan 1.

We like to keep our decorations up until after Little Christmas, January 6th.

My wife wants to put it up next weekend— I’m fighting the good fight and holding as firm as I can to after turkey day but....it may be a battle that I will ultimately lose.

After Thanksgiving indoors, outdoors if there is a warm weekend in November I’ll go for it,

My wife wants to put it up next weekend— I’m fighting the good fight and holding as firm as I can to after turkey day but....it may be a battle that I will ultimately lose.

Sounds like you’re going to be outvoted 1-1.

Since my wife and I have had kids, we’ve bought the tree within a day or two after Thanksgiving. Anytime around then seems about right. One of our friends in the neighborhood threatened to put his house lights up the day after Halloween but he chickened out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The outside will be on a nice day for just lights and left off till after Thanksgiving. Everything else can wait till after Thanksgiving.

December 24th.

We do ours after Thanksgiving. Usually the week after.

Lights are going up tomorrow. Wont turn them on until after thanksgiving though, the rest will go up right after getting fatter day.

Back