How strictly do you play the rules?

How do you play?

• PGA rules all the way

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • modified rules

Votes: 25 62.5%

• Total voters
We could play together. A lot of the rediculous stuff we don't play. Although, never offered or asked for relief out of a divot. Gimmes for me better be close and straight in league, but weekend mornings sure take it.

... or give them the 4-5 footers early and make them putt everything out late.

... or give them the 4-5 footers early and make them putt everything out late.
Haha nice mental game... Usually preface putts given as I've never seen you miss from there, so pick it up. Gives even more false confidence

I'm with you under the circumstances you described, just so long as none of you are posting scores for handicapping purposes.

When teaching beginners or high handicap players I will encourage them to do many of the things you listed. First let's learn to make good contact from a flat lie on the fairway. Then let's learn to make the appropriate adjustments for lies under other conditions. I find most people make progress much quicker this way and do so enjoying the learning process more. More early success and less frustration.

Personally, I play by the rules. I've played long enough and have learned enough so that makes sense. The only exception is the occasional social contest with buddies or charity events that feature some crazy rules as part of the event. I have one buddy that LOVES to set up events with his buddies using the craziest contests and rules he can find.

My group amends rules. I’m paying to play, not being paid therefore it’s a free drop off tree roots or rocks - just a couple inches, no closer to the hole. No sense smashing up beautiful clubs or sustaining an injury.

I'd say like 75%.. some things are granted leniency and such, especially all I play are friendly rounds

Back