How to determine shaft flex

You're right. 99.9% is not always. Haha, I give up, enjoy your day.

Too much great stuff going on this forum with trips, live chats with experts, etc to sweat the small stuff.

When I started out, just over 10 years ago, a friend said because I was in my 50's I would need a senior flex but the store fitted me into stiff graphite shafts and when I asked about age they said it was swing speed and tempo that mattered. I replaced my irons about 5 years ago and the fitter said my dispersion was a lot better with the stiffer flex so I stayed with that but went to steel. My driver SS was 105. Now I am over 60 had a fitting booked to see if I need changes but it's on hold for a spell. I have a really high ball flight and suspect I may need a more flexible shaft in my irons but the fitter said the XP95 shafts I have are more like regular so I might need a different shaft or even heavier ?

I have not read most of the replies, but my history with it has always been finding the right weight to match with the head. A stiff flex 85g shaft might be a bit stouter than a 55g X flex.

I also am of the mind that just because you liked a shaft in one head doesn't mean you will like it in another. There are others much more knowledgable than I (like guys that are really smart & work for shaft companies) that I hope will chime in.

You're right. 99.9% is not always. Haha, I give up, enjoy your day.

Too much great stuff going on this forum with trips, live chats with experts, etc to sweat the small stuff.

I think my post was accidentally removed. So I'll write it again

I thought the debate was good for the forum, not "small stuff"? Passive aggressive is winky face emojis and the GIFs that seem to be more laughter and sarcasm towards me rather than with me and the referring to me as "someone" rather than addressing me personally.

Extra thoughts I'll add:
I think it's ok when people don't agree, it helps us grow as professionals and challenges us to be truly convicted by what we say and believe. It's unfortunate that one minute the "debate" is good and the next it's "small stuff" because you can't lock me down to something I didn't say. I don't think everything is black and white 100% of the time, but I do believe (and I did say in the other forum) that there are moments when time/swings are wasted, and for me, I believe it's at a certain swing speed where I don't want to waste time/energy (technically my clients time and energy) on trying shafts that I'm almost positive would not be ideal for him. All good fitters do that in one way or the other. Most likely, if you're swinging 115mph, the fitter isn't going to give you a senior flex or ladies flex and I think we can all agree on that. Again, it's not black and white all of the time, but there are cutoffs that I have personally as a fitter, that help keep time/energy at a maximum to get us the results we are after.

I have played stiff flex shafts forever. As I get older I wonder if I should be going to regular. Is it based on swing speed, distance, zen or what? I know flex can vary based on materials used but looking for a baseline.

Play rounds of golf with different flex shafts. The shots produced will reveal the answer as to which flex is best.

I think my post was accidentally removed. So I'll write it again

I thought the debate was good for the forum, not "small stuff"? Passive aggressive is winky face emojis and the GIFs that seem to be more laughter and sarcasm towards me rather than with me and the referring to me as "someone" rather than addressing me personally.

Extra thoughts I'll add:
I think it's ok when people don't agree, it helps us grow as professionals and challenges us to be truly convicted by what we say and believe. It's unfortunate that one minute the "debate" is good and the next it's "small stuff" because you can't lock me down to something I didn't say. I don't think everything is black and white 100% of the time, but I do believe (and I did say in the other forum) that there are moments when time/swings are wasted, and for me, I believe it's at a certain swing speed where I don't want to waste time/energy (technically my clients time and energy) on trying shafts that I'm almost positive would not be ideal for him. All good fitters do that in one way or the other. Most likely, if you're swinging 115mph, the fitter isn't going to give you a senior flex or ladies flex and I think we can all agree on that. Again, it's not black and white all of the time, but there are cutoffs that I have personally as a fitter, that help keep time/energy at a maximum to get us the results we are after.

Not sure about a disappearing post, but this forum is filled with smileys and GIFs. Hell we built it into the actual software. On one hand you tell me not to do that, but then challenge me to give away equipment? Friend spend some time on this forum and see that NOBODY has given away more golf equipment and trips than THP the last decade.

I disagreed with your post in the other thread that it was black and white, I posted as such. To say not to use emojis or GIFs because is not in the spirit of this forum? Instead of challenging everybody that disagrees, debate it with fun and facts. Its what this forum was built on and why it exists 12 years later doing things that NOBODY in the golf world had ever thought of giving to every day golfers.

Being new here, is great. With tens of thousands of members we never expect everybody to agree. Debate is healthy. Doing it with fun is healthier. There is plenty of passive aggressive on Internet forums, but THP for the most part is above board.

Golf is fun. THP is by far the most fun possible on a golf forum with the things we have THPers do here. Take a load off, check out some of the talk and realize its a golf forum. Have fun here.

Not sure about a disappearing post, but this forum is filled with smileys and GIFs. Hell we built it into the actual software. On one hand you tell me not to do that, but then challenge me to give away equipment? Friend spend some time on this forum and see that NOBODY has given away more golf equipment and trips than THP the last decade.

I disagreed with your post in the other thread that it was black and white, I posted as such. To say not to use emojis or GIFs because is not in the spirit of this forum? Instead of challenging everybody that disagrees, debate it with fun and facts. Its what this forum was built on and why it exists 12 years later doing things that NOBODY in the golf world had ever thought of giving to every day golfers.

Being new here, is great. With tens of thousands of members we never expect everybody to agree. Debate is healthy. Doing it with fun is healthier. There is plenty of passive aggressive on Internet forums, but THP for the most part is above board.

There's seems to be some issues hearing what I'm saying. I did not say to not use emojis and GIFs. I was saying that seem to be used in a fashion that is TOWARDS me not WITH me. If we were having this debate in person and you looked over and winked at me and/or laughed in some moments, I would consider that a little condescending. Me challenging you give away equipment is by no means an aggressive move, you could have said "no" and that would have been the end of it. I have no idea how much THP gives away, but I'm sure it's a lot. That's awesome! But please, hear (or read in this case) what I am saying, at no point did I say to not use emojis. I see them all the time, and most of the time I think they're fun, but in this specific case it seemed to be a little less fun and more egotistical, and I could be way off. I don't know you personally, so that doesn't help me understand you. Nothing I've said to you degrades THP in any way, remember, I joined here, you did not ask me to. I obviously saw a product that I wanted. If the emoji's and GIFs along with the other things were to keep things light, I apologize for interpreting it incorrectly.

You said “I could be way off”. You are In this instance.

To make this easier....I will use a GIF story and then bow out, because there seems to be something very off here.

Back