How to Fix the Broken Handicap System: Dynamic Handicapping

I am having trouble understanding why the entire idea is flawed because of this one situation where a ball is on the fringe but nonetheless close to the hole. Just out of curiosity, did you hole out from the fringe?

I see this situation akin to blasting a ball off the tee towards the woods, only to hit a tree and have it bounce back into the fairway. These things just happen in golf, and it’s part of the game.

I made the putt but the point is I was in a better spot than 90% of the green but would qualify for the extra stroke.

It does seem unfairly slanted against those that need extra strokes because putting is their weakness.

If I go OB on a tee shot, do I get a dynamic super-pop?

I made the putt but the point is I was in a better spot than 90% of the green but would qualify for the extra stroke.

It does seem unfairly slanted against those that need extra strokes because putting is their weakness.
I think if a 15+ HC (which is generally what would be needed to pop on at least 1 par 3) hits it to 10 feet on the fringe and makes the putt, I am good with them leaving with 2 net 1. There is never going to be a perfect solution, but putting from the fringe and sinking it is a heck of a golf shot.

I think if a 15+ HC (which is generally what would be needed to pop on at least 1 par 3) hits it to 10 feet on the fringe and makes the putt, I am good with them leaving with 2 net 1. There is never going to be a perfect solution, but putting from the fringe and sinking it is a heck of a golf shot.

The approach was good, the putt wasn’t hard. It was the missed 4 footer for birdie 2 holes previous that had me fuming… oh well.

I did play match play last Saturday. We were evenly matched his struggles were hitting into the woods where mine were putting. We need strokes in different places our games our different we get to the same place just in different ways.

I do think the handicap system works well with honest caps. Over 18 holes things tend to balance out

The cheater gaslighting is hilarious. The only time the system doesn't work is when there's cheaters yadda yadda yadda, when we're only contemplating a solution to situations where legitimate handicaps are poorly served by the system. Obviously started by and focused on a mid or high cap more, but a legitimate example was brought up the other direction too. Getting rid of cheaters doesn't change any of those situations. Has nothing to do with it.

The cheater gaslighting is hilarious. The only time the system doesn't work is when there's cheaters yadda yadda yadda, when we're only contemplating a solution to situations where legitimate handicaps are poorly served by the system. Obviously started by and focused on a mid or high cap more, but a legitimate example was brought up the other direction too. Getting rid of cheaters doesn't change any of those situations. Has nothing to do with it.
Well, considering that the league I play in switched to a league only cap, same as a "regular" cap but only using league rounds, and all our issues disappeared (along with the cheaters who left) makes me kinda think we're gonna have to agree to disagree.

Hitting a GIR as a high cap doesn't mean I am suddenly not a high cap. ;)

Are you saying your net -6 is better than my net -6?!
1663860987020.gif

Well, considering that the league I play in switched to a league only cap, same as a "regular" cap but only using league rounds, and all our issues disappeared (along with the cheaters who left) makes me kinda think we're gonna have to agree to disagree.

Hitting a GIR as a high cap doesn't mean I am suddenly not a high cap. ;)
Our league, and countless others, go off league only caps and still have the exact same issues we're talking about. I mean besides that it has no real relevance, do you get that your argument kind of implies that the OP (and others in here) is a cheater? I mean he can only be observing these flaws in the system for himself and his friends if there's cheating involved, right? Because they're in the cheating, not the actual system and how it applies to the game. Come on.

Our league, and countless others, go off league only caps and still have the exact same issues we're talking about. I mean besides that it has no real relevance, do you get that your argument kind of implies that the OP (and others in here) is a cheater? I mean he can only be observing these flaws in the system for himself and his friends if there's cheating involved, right? Because they're in the cheating, not the actual system and how it applies to the game. Come on.
I'm basing my life decisions and opinions on what I see with my own two eyes. ;)

Here is a scenario from Saturday. My opponent hit his tee shot out of bounds, topped the next shot, hit the approach into the bunker and got up and down.

I hit the green in regulation, and with a downhill putt on a tough green ended up 3 putting.

We both ended up with a bogey 6. In what way under the dynamic system would it be fair for him to keep the extra stroke but me lose mine?

Here is a scenario from Saturday. My opponent hit his tee shot out of bounds, topped the next shot, hit the approach into the bunker and got up and down.

I hit the green in regulation, and with a downhill putt on a tough green ended up 3 putting.

We both ended up with a bogey 6. In what way under the dynamic system would it be fair for him to keep the extra stroke but me lose mine?
Well you wouldn't both get a stroke in a match. Who's the higher hdcp? And he topped it from the tee on a par 5 and still reached a greenside bunker in 2? Impressive.

Well you wouldn't both get a stroke in a match. Who's the higher hdcp? And he topped it from the tee on a par 5 and still reached a greenside bunker in 2? Impressive.

No he took a drop. I don’t think there were OB stakes on the hole. HDCP doesn’t matter though the question is one of two scenarios more deserving of keeping the stroke than the other?

No he took a drop. I don’t think there were OB stakes on the hole. HDCP doesn’t matter though the question is one of two scenarios more deserving of keeping the stroke than the other?
I am a bit confused. sounds like you got a gross 6, and he was a net 6? So I am not sure why dynamic handicapping would have mattered here in your scenario. if you were both popping on that hole, then I think dynamic handicapping would have worked exactly like it was proposed, with you tying the hole.

Also, you would have had the option to hit your third shot just off the green, chip close to the hole, and then leave with a one putt 5 net 4, as I have been told.

I am a bit confused. sounds like you got a gross 6, and he was a net 6? So I am not sure why dynamic handicapping would have mattered here in your scenario. if you were both popping on that hole, then I think dynamic handicapping would have worked exactly like it was proposed, with you tying the hole.

Also, you would have had the option to hit your third shot just off the green, chip close to the hole, and then leave with a one putt 5, as I have been told.

No they were both gross 6. I took 3 shots to reach the green. He took 5.

No they were both gross 6. I took 3 shots to reach the green. He took 5.
So he wasn't OB? Because then he would have been hitting 4 based on the stroke and distance rule.

Also, you would have had the option to hit your third shot just off the green, chip close to the hole, and then leave with a one putt 5 net 4, as I have been told.
That 5 would actually be a net 4 birdie

So he wasn't OB? Because then he would have been hitting 4 based on the stroke and distance rule.

He was in the trees and had to take a drop. Red stakes.

So you both made mistakes and would have halved the hole. The dynamic hdcp would only impact you if you had a pop.

He was in the trees and had to take a drop. Red stakes.
Got it, so I still think it would all work out using dynamic handicapping. You had a 3-putt, which I assume is abnormal for you, and he was able to get up and down from a trap, which is also less common for higher caps. I think a push seems like a fair result.

Got it, so I still think it would all work out using dynamic handicapping. You had a 3-putt, which I assume is abnormal for you, and he was able to get up and down from a trap, which is also less common for higher caps. I think a push seems like a fair result.

It wouldn’t be a push if he got an extra stroke for the way he got to 6 vs the 3 putt.

The question though is how would the way he got to 6 be worthy of becoming a net 5 vs the 3 putt can’t become a net 5. The rest of the details are irrelevant.

It wouldn’t be a push if he got an extra stroke for the way he got to 6 vs the 3 putt.
If he had the pop, yeah he wins the hole. If you have the pop, you halve the hole. He made a rare save and you made a rare blunder. Halve for that seems legitimate would be the argument.

I don’t think we are going to agree on this one then.

And as far as rare goes… I had 11 of 18 greens in regulation and 5 3 putts. Greens were not at all easy.

The question though is how would the way he got to 6 be worthy of becoming a net 5 vs the 3 putt can’t become a net 5. The rest of the details are irrelevant.
I am not sure that style points really matter in any type of handicapping. But like noted and long-time Packer's fan @drp3434 said, your playing partner made a heck of an up and down from a trap, and you had an off hole putting. So I don't see anything really wrong here, unless the point is that someone who tops a shot should be penalized more than the result (which I totally agree with as someone who 100% did not top each of his drives on hole 1 of the Budget Golf Championship on two consecutive days). I am sure your overall score was rewarded having hit 11 of 18 greens, seems it sounds like you were golfing your ball well from the fairway, and your playing partner was struggling at times.

I would also argue that had there been a different color stake (white vs red) then none of this would have mattered. But the classification of out of bounds vs hazard for fairway boundaries has been long discussed on this form in another thread, with similar passion to what this thread has created.

Back