How to Improve Angle of Attack with Driver

xThor

AnimeGods 神 | GolfTec Experience | TravisMathew
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This is one of the things I know I struggle with. I am pretty typically around a -2*, can sometimes flatten it out to 0*. My typical swing path has been right to left, but working on that. I’ll try to get some data on trackman Friday, but generally, how do I get it more positive?

Following…

This is one of the things I know I struggle with. I am pretty typically around a -2*, can sometimes flatten it out to 0*. My typical swing path has been right to left, but working on that. I’ll try to get some data on trackman Friday, but generally, how do I get it more positive?
Where is your ball position? I struggle to hit up on the ball and am pretty neutral.

This could be helpful. Thanks for starting the thread.

I am FAR from an expert but one of the tips I find helpful for driving in general (and I think helps AOA) is to imagine your lead shoulder is against a wall. One of my bigger issues is tending to lurch toward the target with my upper body rather than rotate. In my mind by doing this I'm changing my contact point to be sooner than it should be, causing the negative AOA. Of course this explanation could be pure poppycock but it's something I've found helpful :ROFLMAO:

I set up by Blast to help drill AOA with my driver. Im flat to down sweeper with it. well I had to quit that drill because just thinking about hitting up, I was a HOT mess swinging UP to the moon and barely making contact. I need to revisit this as I put in dedicated practice.

Dominant hands.

All over this thread…

Ball further forward. Tilt shoulders. Keep your head behind the ball. Tee it high.

Ball further forward. Tilt shoulders. Keep your head behind the ball. Tee it high.
Do you find that you need a wider stance with all of those elements?

One simple set up change can sometimes fix angle of attack.

When you set up, first make sure that the ball is just inside your lead heel. Then, get set then with your right hand tilt away from the target at the hips till your finger of your right hand (assuming right handed) are touching the outside of your knee. This will put you in the classing reverse K set up. It should help you create a more upward strike on the ball by a small change in set up.

Do you find that you need a wider stance with all of those elements?

Yes. A good image is pretend there is a block right in front of your ball. Make sure your club doesn’t hit it and goes over it.

Where is your ball position? I struggle to hit up on the ball and am pretty neutral.

I know a lot of it has been my fighting against the lefts, but positionally it’s about left heel, but I know I have it teed a bit low.

Main thing is to fix the swing path, on out to in positive angle of attack would be funny looking. Need to shallow out the path as well. Keep your back to the target, little bump to the left, let your hands drop, and then rotate while feeling like the back is still facing the target, for as long as possible. Lastly, late last season I reread a swing book I really like and it talked about the release. It's not a hand rotation, per say, that's a good way to shut the face down. When you go to release the club, pull up with the left hand and push down with the right.

Those are the thoughts that help me.

I am FAR from an expert but one of the tips I find helpful for driving in general (and I think helps AOA) is to imagine your lead shoulder is against a wall. One of my bigger issues is tending to lurch toward the target with my upper body rather than rotate. In my mind by doing this I'm changing my contact point to be sooner than it should be, causing the negative AOA. Of course this explanation could be pure poppycock but it's something I've found helpful :ROFLMAO:

I definitely have felt the “forward’’ lean with my driver occasionally. I know when I was at the Grandaddy, JRod commented on it and my propensity to hold off and not finish my swing :/

with a bit of work it can be improved very quickly. Might want to put a touch of tape on the crown of your driver when you work in it though….just in case

Main thing is to fix the swing path, on out to in positive angle of attack would be funny looking. Need to shallow out the path as well. Keep your back to the target, little bump to the left, let your hands drop, and then rotate while feeling like the back is still facing the target, for as long as possible. Lastly, late last season I reread a swing book I really like and it talked about the release. It's not a hand rotation, per say, that's a good way to shut the face down. When you go to release the club, pull up with the left hand and push down with the right.

Those are the thoughts that help me.

Great feedback. Can’t wait to hit the sim this week and try this

During my progress to straighten out my drives and correct my slice/open face, I had to fix my negative AoA because not only was that killing my move into the ball, it was creating some spin that was hurting me.

Go to the 1:10 minute part of this video and watch. I am not saying it is a silver bullet, but implementing this to help me get more behind the ball, helped me hit up on the ball and in turn created some positive AoA. I have not been on a launch monitor lately, but on course results have me carrying the ball further and my launch has improved.

Last edited:
During my progress to straighten out my drives and correct my slice/open face, I had to fix my negative AoA because not only was that killing me move into the ball, it was creating some spin that was hurting me.

Go to the 1:10 minute part of this video and watch. I am not saying it is a silver bullet, but implementing this to help me get more behind the ball, helped me hit up on the ball and in turn created some positive AoA. I have not been on a launch monitor lately, but on course results have me carrying the ball further and my launch has improved.

Yup all of this. I’m a big fan of his teaching.

Things that helped me in lessons - slight reverse K setup, full shoulder turn (no fake turns), and feeling like my hands were dropping on the downswing while my back stayed facing the target. I was a classic "lunge at the ball and throwing my hands out" golfer, weak fades and dummy marks from coming in so steep. I even broke a shaft once due to that 😬 I still get quick and handsy at times, but the above noted tips all helped out when I was able to put them all together.

Great feedback. Can’t wait to hit the sim this week and try this
Practice it slowly before you get to the sim. You can do this in the home using anything with a handle. If you do it with a chef's knife, your family will leave you alone, but they will ask questions,

I put my driver headcover out about 1 grip length in front of the ball on the practice tee. If you hit the headcover, you know you came in downwards. If you clear it, you know you're hitting up.

Take whatever swing you have to to miss the headcover, and you'll start grooving the feel of some best practices. Tilting back at impact will start coming easier, it'll be very evident if you are teeing the ball too far inside, etc.

Heck, you could probably take a few swings at home without a ball.

I am following this hard. I have struggled with this, and got to about 1-2 degrees up now, but just can't increase further. Have been working on teeing it slightly further forward and higher and that has helped to a degree but it is still work in progress.

During my progress to straighten out my drives and correct my slice/open face, I had to fix my negative AoA because not only was that killing my move into the ball, it was creating some spin that was hurting me.

If you do this, you will have to tee the ball higher than you normally do. It works well!

Back