How to Improve Angle of Attack with Driver

If you do this, you will have to tee the ball higher than you normally do. It works well!

For me yes, but not too much more than where I was before. Using the Epoch tees I have been using their tee fitting system and that has helped make consistent contact.

Following… intently…

This is one of the things I know I struggle with. I am pretty typically around a -2*, can sometimes flatten it out to 0*. My typical swing path has been right to left, but working on that. I’ll try to get some data on trackman Friday, but generally, how do I get it more positive?
It's all in setup for me. Ball position forward, but inside left heel, a bit of right bend and making sure you push off the left foot once your shift weight. But guess what! There's nothing wrong with your driver swing as demonstrated with @Luke WilliamsCG. Close this thread! :LOL::ROFLMAO: jk

Yes. A good image is pretend there is a block right in front of your ball. Make sure your club doesn’t hit it and goes over it.
Yes, if he puts the Hideway cover 6 inches in front of the ball. Guaranteed he won't hit it.:p

It's all in setup for me. Ball position forward, but inside left heel, a bit of right bend and making sure you push off the left foot once your shift weight. But guess what! There's nothing wrong with your driver swing as demonstrated with @Luke WilliamsCG. Close this thread! :LOL::ROFLMAO: jk

hahaha. I need my 💣 s to be more 💣 y

A great drill a local pro gave my son who was struggling with the same issue.

Put a empty sleeve of balls or a headcover a grip length or so in front of the ball down the target line. If you hit them on your follow-thru you do not have the proper AOA.

With the driver from what I can tell it is about getting the bottom of the arc at the right point before the ball. My launch angles have be horrible lately, but I am finally starting to get them back up some.

My woods have been low too. I am in generally a low hitter, but too low is a distance killer. With a wood I can get by with it because it can rise later in flight whereas the driver is hitting the ground to early.

I am an odd character, so take this for what its worth. No swing thoughts. Just tee the ball a touch higher, move it a little forward. Now the fun part. Instead of aiming for the fairway, pick a cloud in the sky on about the right line and peak height you want. Try to pound that ball through that cloud.

I am an odd character, so take this for what its worth. No swing thoughts. Just tee the ball a touch higher, move it a little forward. Now the fun part. Instead of aiming for the fairway, pick a cloud in the sky on about the right line and peak height you want. Try to pound that ball through that cloud.

What if it's clear skies? :unsure: Asking for a friend :ROFLMAO:

During my progress to straighten out my drives and correct my slice/open face, I had to fix my negative AoA because not only was that killing my move into the ball, it was creating some spin that was hurting me.

Go to the 1:10 minute part of this video and watch. I am not saying it is a silver bullet, but implementing this to help me get more behind the ball, helped me hit up on the ball and in turn created some positive AoA. I have not been on a launch monitor lately, but on course results have me carrying the ball further and my launch has improved.

Clay has a lot of good stuff and it is easily understandable.

Ball position, reverse K setup, keeping the head behind the ball. These are the main things.

Ball Position - We swing on a plane that goes around the spine that is tilted toward the ball. Being held with both hands the bottoming out spot is between the spine and the forward shoulder socket. For right handers roughly where the shirt logo or pocket is located. Thus the ball position has to be in front of that position to hit up on the ball. Usually this is opposite the heel of the forward foot +/- one ball. Many amateurs have it more in the center of their stance. That's no good by a long shot.

Reverse K Setup - This is another place where a lot of people miss the mark. One reason is with our irons on the fairway we are taught to "cover the ball" and so most of us don't have any tilt on driver off the tee, because we don't tilt on those iron shots. Another reason is the dreaded reverse C. If you have difficulty getting your weight on your front foot, one of the ways people compensate is to 'cheat' and start with a spine angle that is tilted forward. The tilt away is NOT extreme. 5-10 degrees will do.

Keeping the Head Behind the Ball - Remember impact is what matters. You can do the two things above correctly, then undo everything by lunging forward just before impact. Sometimes that looks like coming out of your spine angle by standing up before impact. Remember, the bottoming out position is roughly at the left pocket or logo (for right handers). So, if you lunge forward you've moved the bottoming out point forward. Many players with an out to in swing path like you, struggle with this too, as getting the right shoulder moving out toward the ball early can trigger this lunge or standing up move to regain your balance. You do want movement toward the target during the downswing, but you want that primarily in the lower body with the upper body staying behind the ball until well after impact.

Last edited:
I struggled with this for a long time. My instructor now has me give myself a little shoulder tilt in my set up. Problem solved. I have not hit down on the driver in a long time. The easiest thing i do is set up to the ball take my right hand and just slide it down to the top of my knee area on the side of my leg. You can adjust that angle as needed. I also have to watch putting the ball too far forward in my stance i go more out to in doing that.

During my progress to straighten out my drives and correct my slice/open face, I had to fix my negative AoA because not only was that killing my move into the ball, it was creating some spin that was hurting me.

Go to the 1:10 minute part of this video and watch. I am not saying it is a silver bullet, but implementing this to help me get more behind the ball, helped me hit up on the ball and in turn created some positive AoA. I have not been on a launch monitor lately, but on course results have me carrying the ball further and my launch has improved.

Thanks or posting the video.

What if it's clear skies? :unsure: Asking for a friend :ROFLMAO:

That's where visualization comes in. Remember the bat signal? Imagine that... and drive that ball square between the Bat's eyes. 🎯

One simple set up change can sometimes fix angle of attack.

When you set up, first make sure that the ball is just inside your lead heel. Then, get set then with your right hand tilt away from the target at the hips till your finger of your right hand (assuming right handed) are touching the outside of your knee. This will put you in the classing reverse K set up. It should help you create a more upward strike on the ball by a small change in set up.
Good stuff, except the guide you suggested for creating the right amount of tilt, while it may work for you, is not universal. The length of people's arms in relation to their trunk and legs is not universal. Some have long arms and a short trunk and legs. Others have short arms and long legs and trunk. ...and every other combination. It is good to have a standard. Just a word of warning that others may have to experiment with exactly where the finger must be in relation to your knee to get the optimal tilt for your body.

Good stuff, except the guide you suggested for creating the right amount of tilt, while it may work for you, is not universal. The length of people's arms in relation to their trunk and legs is not universal. Some have long arms and a short trunk and legs. Others have short arms and long legs and trunk. ...and every other combination. It is good to have a standard. Just a word of warning that others may have to experiment with exactly where the finger must be in relation to your knee to get the optimal tilt for your body.

For sure. It is a general guide and your mileage may vary.

Try shallowing it out. Stop your chest from spinning out too quickly and your trail shoulder to move out towards the ball too early. Create more external rotation in your trail shoulder, develop the feeling of preventing your chest from opening up too quickly. Work on your right shoulder working down a little more.

1. trail shoulder staying back more
2. chest more closed if you tend to spin out
3. Tee the ball higher
4. Stay back

⬆️ this absolutely! Reverse K, good weight distribution, and a slightly higher ball about a ball off the left heel has been golden. Almost too high for me!

For sure. It is a general guide and your mileage may vary.

Didn't see your post but we wrote the same thing. I agree it will be different for everyone.

Following this one. I too want to be in the 💣 club.

Ball further forward. Tilt shoulders. Keep your head behind the ball. Tee it high.

Yep, all good - tilt shoulders but not waist...

And I look up into a cloud for my window just before swinging- has me swinging up, up

Definitely following, thanks for starting this thread and thanks for all the good responses! Negative AoA with the driver is something I need to work on, at my last fitting I was -2 to -3 degrees.

Back