How To Install a Putter Grip

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
We receive a lot of questions about gripping, but specifically how to install a putter grip. How to make sure they go on straight, how much solution to use and even how to wrap the tape underneath the grip.

We decided to fire up the camera and walked over to the grip installation station in the THP Tech Studio and walk you through how to install a Super Stroke Putter Grip. We start the video looking down the line to show the idea of putting it on straight, then move to overhead to give the best perspective into installing the putter grip. From there it is all about getting the grip on from solution to clean up.

Do you install your own grips? We want to hear your thoughts on what was discussed in the video above regarding the tape at the butt...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
I re-grip all my clubs. My process is to leave a little tape on the end and tuck it into the shaft. I was told this is so the solvent/mineral spirits doesn't feed down to the club head and mess with the epoxy overtime.

I put spirits on the shaft and inside the grip. Once it's one I eyeball and make sure it's square. I will use the floor tile lines as a quick alignment and adjust if needed. Using this method, I have not had any grips not aligned or feel off at address.

I use basically all of the same procedures shown in the video, without the fancy equipment, when installing my putter grips. If I am putting a grip on a SeeMore, I just line up the RST in the vice to make sure I start with a square face. Use a level on the face with other branded putters.

If I am putting a grip on a SeeMore, I just line up the RST in the vice to make sure I start with a square face. Use a level on the face with other branded putters.
This is such an under thought of brilliant aspect of the SeeMore.

Thanks guys! Been wondering how to do this!

Great video. I’ve done a lot of experimenting with my putter length and grips recently which means I installed/swapped about 35 putter grips this year. I’ve gone to a single sided automotive masking tape under my putter grips with solvent and this allows me to later remove the grip fairly easily with air without damaging the grip. I’ve never been a fan of using air with no solvent for any golf grip install but the single sided tape with solvent is plenty secure for putter grips and with traditional double sided grip tape it’s often impossible to remove the grip intact for reuse. With most grips running $15-$30, I like the ability to reuse them after making a length adjustment or just to try the grip on a different putter.

Reactions: Sto
Great video guys, thanks for sharing this. Have never regripped a club before but have always been curious about it. Is the eye test more or less as good as you can get by way of alignment when installing grips?

Really great video on regripping a Putter. I have never tried doing my own putter, but seems pretty easy. Definitely don’t have such an elaborate set up as the Tech studio.

Admittedly, I used to be scared to do my own putter grips because I was worried that I would not line it up perfectly and that would make my mediocre at best putting even worse. No fear after doing one or two about 10 years ago.

With severely limited space, and having messed up a few putter grips. I usually install with air. This allows me all the possible adjustments i may need. I ensure the putter is square with a level on the face as my starting point.

if the next house has a larger space for me, I’ll likely have a more standard gripping area and resume use of tape and spirits. Love the clamp in the video!

I’m so paranoid about this; I never have grips changed on a putter — and I wouldn’t trust myself to get it dead straight.

This is basically my process. I use the flat side of the putter grip and the sight line or a straight edge of the putter to make sure it is straight.

Great video. I’ve done a lot of experimenting with my putter length and grips recently which means I installed/swapped about 35 putter grips this year. I’ve gone to a single sided automotive masking tape under my putter grips with solvent and this allows me to later remove the grip fairly easily with air without damaging the grip. I’ve never been a fan of using air with no solvent for any golf grip install but the single sided tape with solvent is plenty secure for putter grips and with traditional double sided grip tape it’s often impossible to remove the grip intact for reuse. With most grips running $15-$30, I like the ability to reuse them after making a length adjustment or just to try the grip on a different putter.

I do the same thing for the same reasons. Once I determine the "perfect" setup for me and commit to it as my gamer, which is not very of often, I will install it with standard double-sided tape and spirits to give me the peace of mind that it will not budge during play.

The twist! that would have saved me from ruining my first Super Stroke grip. Golfworks regripping game changers, 1) grip removal blade with hook, 2) solvent catcher tray, 3) Buy 6 get 6 free grips!! haha

This is basically my process. I use the flat side of the putter grip and the sight line or a straight edge of the putter to make sure it is straight.
It works well, assuming one has the putter setup properly. :)

I’ve probably gripped over a thousand grips over the years & this is a great video on putter grips, Well Done!!!

almost exact same process. Just a table vice and rolling paint brush drip tray rather than the fancy set up though.

tape seam on bottom though, for no other reason besides mental.

Also will plug a tee in the butt of the grip when filling to try to keep the hands as solvent free as possible. (pull before pushing on grip or you create a missile. :LOL:)

I would like to see one of those "speed grippers" you guys were talking about in the video haha

almost exact same process. Just a table vice and rolling paint brush drip tray rather than the fancy set up though.

tape seam on bottom though, for no other reason besides mental.

Also will plug a tee in the butt of the grip when filling to try to keep the hands as solvent free as possible. (pull before pushing on grip or you create a missile. :LOL:)
Almost exactly my old set up when i has space, including the flying tee.

I would love a gripping workstation like that but can't justify the space. I generally do it over the work sink in my basement. I start the tape from the front of the shaft so the seam is on the back. I wrap the tape over the top of the grip to make it a bit easier to put on. I take a tee and put it in the end of the grip to shake the grip up with the solvent in it. I then will either align it on the ground or laying on the workbench to see if it is square. I have used a door jamb also. I use plenty of solvent so I can twist the grip a bit to get it where I want.

A couple of things I picked up. I liked using the hole of the grip to drain the solvent onto the grip and putting some solvent on the tape first. I have gone back after but I like letting it soften up.

I regrip all my clubs but would have no issue anyone else doing them, except my putter. It’s never been right whenever anyone else has done it. First thing I do when I buy a new putter, cut the grip off and install one myself.

Use a level to plumb the head, then either eye test or if a large enough flat spot use the level again.

Pretty much spot on in how I do all mine. I’ve recently branched out and doing grip work for players in our weekly group. Club work is a hobby I’m branching into and enjoy doing it. Appreciate the video.

I’m just glad no worries of glue is needed for regripping. It massively complicates things

@Canadan Whats the safest way to remove the grip? In college, we were always told not to regrip anything ourselves as some kid sliced his hand open with an exacto knife. Thanks!

Back