How to Lengthen A Putter

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We got some questions about how to lengthen a putter, so @Canadan walks you through an alternative way to do so without a new shaft or traditional extension.

Fantastic video guys.

Never knew you could use an wedge shaft to extend a putter like that.

What would you use to extend iron shafts or even graphite?

Would you use epoxy for those clubs on the extension?

Fantastic video guys.

Never knew you could use an wedge shaft to extend a putter like that.

What would you use to extend iron shafts or even graphite?

Would you use epoxy for those clubs on the extension?

I’ve used iron shafts to extend a putter or iron many times. Obviously the shorter the plug end of the extension the less weight is added but it’s nothing dramatic. Grips do more to impact weight.

If given plenty of time or the fit isn’t tight it’s never a bad thing to use epoxy.

Damn, see that’s why I want to get into this. AWESOME video guys. I figured I would have to put a whole new shaft in.

Can’t wait for more of these

Great video dan. Like Alex, I guess I didn’t think of just using an old wedge or iron shaft to make that extension. Always figures you needed to buy actual plugs or extension pieces.

Question: if you were to use a graphite shaft without steps, I’m assuming some type of epoxy would be needed in order to keep it from sliding too far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to note something. You definitely don’t want to do this method with graphite. There are plenty of graphite extension options available which is your best bet.

Great video and information, Dan! Thanks.

I want to note something. You definitely don’t want to do this method with graphite. There are plenty of graphite extension options available which is your best bet.

This is definitely something to keep in mind.

Hope everyone enjoys the info in these and it makes things a little clearer for everyone.

Figured as much. Thanks guys!

Very informative video, Dan!

Never thought of doing that! Thanks for the great video boys

Very well done! Nice explanation - I'm far from being a diy-er but enjoy learning what goes into club work. Never would have thought of using a wedge shaft as an extension.

This putter came out great

Great video! I have extended many putters and have used pieces of shafts before but usually use a steel or aluminum extension. They are very inexpensive.

Great video! I have extended many putters and have used pieces of shafts before but usually use a steel or aluminum extension. They are very inexpensive.

Definitely inexpensive, like you know though it’s nice to be able to bust out this method in a pinch when an extension isn’t available.

I actually extend all of my putters this way.

Very well done! Nice explanation - I'm far from being a diy-er but enjoy learning what goes into club work. Never would have thought of using a wedge shaft as an extension.

It’s funny how easy it is with the steps in the shafts. It’s not exactly a cheap solution but it will work in a pinch especially if those shafts have been sitting there for a while doing nothing.

It’s funny how easy it is with the steps in the shafts. It’s not exactly a cheap solution but it will work in a pinch especially if those shafts have been sitting there for a while doing nothing.
Build clubs for 15 years and there's one things you'll have no shortage of... old iron shafts. Some are sellable, but some are basically tomato stakes or putter extensions.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’ve used iron shafts to extend a putter or iron many times. Obviously the shorter the plug end of the extension the less weight is added but it’s nothing dramatic. Grips do more to impact weight.

If given plenty of time or the fit isn’t tight it’s never a bad thing to use epoxy.

Well done! Nice and simple!

I had never seen how an extension (or a version of how) is done on a putter before and that was fantastic. Looks like we have some really cool content coming to us over the next few days and weeks. Thanks THP!

very good video! i had no idea it was down that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great tip here on extending a putter when in a pinch. I actually just was looking at the amount of old wedges I have laying around. Looks pretty simple. Thanks for the content.

Thanks for that video. another simple way that I thought was way more difficult than it is.

Remember, lengthening a putter one inch will make its "effective lie angle" play 2* more upright.

That was a great idea and really well done video. I've taken putters in to the store to be extended before and could have totally done it myself. Thanks for sharing that guys.

And that putter is sweet!

That was a great idea and really well done video. I've taken putters in to the store to be extended before and could have totally done it myself. Thanks for sharing that guys.

And that putter is sweet!

It IS pretty awesome. I got to roll it during our round on Saturday and came away very impressed.

Back