How to play a par3 with a fast green and side slope?

orchard53

Reaction score
The hole drives me crazy. Has a slope from right to left. Not really any flat spots where they put the flag. If I hit the ball right of the hole, it might stop, but half the time rolls off the green. hit it left and it's going off the green for sure. tried leaving an uphill putt/chip, but if you miss because it wasn't pretty much straight in, it will roll back to the bottom of the green or worse.
I'm trying to figure out how to make a par on the hole, but mostly it's a bogey - either a 3 putt or chip and 2 putt. It's 105 yards so usually hit the green.
Ideas?

Sounds like a poor green setup in general if there is no real place to put the flag and hold the green. Not totally sure how to play it without seeing it but the way you describe it makes it sound just overall difficult

Sounds like a brutal hole any way you approach it. I think your strategy of leaving yourself an uphill putt is solid, but if the green is that sloped there's no easy answer.

Try to take it in low? Keep it under the hole to reduce the chance if it coming back

Center of the green and two putt it?

Play it right after watering or a heavy rain with a sky high pitching wedge. Crater ball! 😎

Thanks for suggestions! Thinking I need to get out there and spend a while putting up and down the slope. 2 rounds ago I was 4' above the hole and tapped a putt trying to cozy it up, went 10' by. Then it was hard to hit it hard enough to get back up to the hole. Margin for error on pace seems really small.

I think I'll try smgoldstein's proposal and try to hit a fade below the hole.

I played a hole on a course I was visiting and if memory serves me it was a brutal Par 3 as well. You hit over a creek and the green was up on a hill with the green heavily sloped. It was rare that you could keep the ball on the green from the tee shot without rolling off. It was very challenging to putt out. You putt to the hole and watch the ball roll back down the hill to the fringe every time.

Those are tough. Momentum is the killer sometimes on them, so whatever you can do to deaden the ball landing on approach. Depending on your flight and distance you could try knocking some spin of and coming in real high, or landing in the fringe. It's usually just picking the best of a bunch of bad options. Good luck!

The hole drives me crazy. Has a slope from right to left. Not really any flat spots where they put the flag. If I hit the ball right of the hole, it might stop, but half the time rolls off the green. hit it left and it's going off the green for sure. tried leaving an uphill putt/chip, but if you miss because it wasn't pretty much straight in, it will roll back to the bottom of the green or worse.
I'm trying to figure out how to make a par on the hole, but mostly it's a bogey - either a 3 putt or chip and 2 putt. It's 105 yards so usually hit the green.
Ideas?
That sounds almost like #2 at my home course. About 107, but you had better hit the green. And if you don't flight your ball high enough it won't stay on the green. Huge bunker right and severe slopes on all other sides. My ball flight is not very high. So unless I hit the front of the green and it checks up I am looking at a chip from below the green or even a pitch from the fairway of #3.

Hit right at pin....You want a putt up hill....

Back