How To Play Ballyhack Hole 4

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The 4th hole at Ballyhack is a unique one. It measures about 410 yards from where we played. It offers the player multiple routes by virtue of a four-terraced fairway. Do you play to a comfy number or hit it hard and try to get it down the hill?

You can see a video flyover of the hole and some explanation here.

Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 10.30.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 10.30.30 AM.png

I love these "how would you play" posts.

That tee shot picture is intimidating. I am probably aiming at the centerline bunker and trying to hit a little draw. probably not hitting driver here. I think Utility off the tee is the play and leave a full swing in with a 9 iron or so..

Play a fade to the middle of left fairway. 1/10 will be in the bunker or topped :ROFLMAO:, 2/10 will be left of fairway, 4/10 will be in upper left fairway, 3/10 will be right of the bunker.

not overly clear but looks like 270 to clear the grassy area and approach the slope.

So, full driver left of the hill with rough hope to get to the slope.

Pro tip from video - long and down the middle. Thank you for that unique advice 🤣

that's what I'd try do 👍🏻

I would play the driver off the tee with a soft draw to assure staying on the top fairway, but with roll out to hopefully get down the slope near the end of the fairway, then what ever short iron i needed to get to the middle of the green, if i make a long one for birdie fine, but try to attain the 2 putt.

• Admin

That tee shot picture is intimidating. I am probably aiming at the centerline bunker and trying to hit a little draw. probably not hitting driver here. I think Utility off the tee is the play and leave a full swing in with a 9 iron or so..
Man when you watch the video after you play the hole, it is very much easier said than done to say "long and straight. This is a great golf hole.

Tough to tell distances - is it about 250 to the crest of the hill? If so, I'm hitting driver up the left hand side - no reason to play to the tight fairway on the right. If it reaches the downhill, then great. Otherwise, I'll be happy to be at the top of the hill!

Tee shot would be hit with driver, starting left of the bunker and hoping for a relatively flat lie for my second shot

If you go off the overall hole length, a 250yd drive would leave a second shot of roughly 160yds which looks to be downhill, so likely playing slightly shorter, and I don't have any concerns about that sort of approach

not overly clear but looks like 270 to clear the grassy area and approach the slope.

So, full driver left of the hill with rough hope to get to the slope.

Same. Depending on wind might even go 3 wood.

I played it 3 days in a row by hitting driver all the way down, hits the downslope & gets on the only flat spot at the bottom. Don't flare one right. :eek: It takes too much accuracy to stay at the top of the hill. Then you have a lot longer shot into a green that has a lot of slope. If the pin is on the right, you have to be accurate enough to keep it on the right level. It was back right one day & I hit a bit too long, on the back right slope & it zinged back all the way left down the hill & didn't stop until it was on the edge of the green on the left. Needless to say I had a very long .... probably 150 feet .... putt from one side of the green to the other.
This will be a fun hole to follow to see how you tackle it.

As far as what I'm actually likely to do when I play it in September...

This seems like one of those holes where a slight fade just keeps leaking and ends up in the junk. So quite honestly, I'm more likely to overcompensate and snap hook it in the trees. Hope I have a good partner and we're playing a shamble :ROFLMAO:

Full send w/ my new TSR driver or 3-wood.

Hit driver with the hope it draws a skoosh. If it gets to the downslope, I'm hoping it doesn't hang up halfway down.

Can't wait to take a crack at this one next month :love:

Definitely a tough hole but there's room out there, at least it looks like it. I'm taking driver straight over that bunker and hoping to catch the hill and ride down. I see there's a lower route right but it's narrow and it makes me nervous.

You better hit more than utility, depending on the tee box you're playing, cause it's a bit further than you may think. Also, follow the direction of the forecaddie (y)

Driver for sure and then whatever that leaves me in.

I'm taking driver and aiming right center of the left fairway section. IF I hit it well I should get into the last part of the fairway where the halves join back together. If I pull it a little there should still be enough room left to be on the left side of the fairway.

Edit: Actually if there's no wind or the wind isn't strong against me I'll probably take 4W and still be good into the further part of the fairway. Looks like the fairway feeds down a good amount.

I don't think I could get to the long part. I am aiming at the bunker and drawing it back to the top tier on the left of the fairway. If it fluffs out a bit that bottom tier to the right looks fine and would actually be a pretty decent spot for the 2nd shot. @JB, how slanted is that there to the right? Are you doomed to end up in the deep stuff or can a ball stop down there?

You better hit more than utility, depending on the tee box you're playing, cause it's a bit further than you may think. Also, follow the direction of the forecaddie (y)

I am going off the 410 total distance and figuring what will leave me somewhere between 160-170 in..

Well first off, love the hole flyover.

I’d go driver to take the bunker out of play. Maybe go a little left of it and if it comes back a little, that’s OK.

I don't think I could get to the long part. I am aiming at the bunker and drawing it back to the top tier on the left of the fairway. If it fluffs out a bit that bottom tier to the right looks fine and would actually be a pretty decent spot for the 2nd shot. @JB, how slanted is that there to the right? Are you doomed to end up in the deep stuff or can a ball stop down there?
The video shows it off a bit better.
Its a little slanted.

I’d start a 3W a little right of the fairway bunker and have it fade back in then go with an easy 7i or 8i in

he hits his utility 275

I’ll be taking driver and aiming down the left tree line, and let the ball work it’s way back right (but hopefully not too far right and into the bunker).

Back